Forty

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey all! Happy holidays and wheeling this time of year.
I currently have the Rough Country 4 inch X series suspension lift, savvy inch and a quarter body lift, JKS adjustable rear track bar, BFG KO2 35’s, chrome moly axles, 4:56 gears front and back, brown dog 1” motor mounts and tummy tuck w/Savvy full under armor.
I want to drop down to 2 or 2 1/2 inch suspension lift and could really use some experienced advice. I’m pretty sure I can keep the control arms I have as they are adjustable and would need to go with new springs, shocks, swaybar links, and front track bar. Getting away from Rough Country for obvious reasons but don’t have a huge budget. Budget wise I’ve been looking at skyjacker, zone, pro comp, and the likes but not opposed to piecing it together with different brands. I could really use some advice in guidance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1F789444-0F2D-4811-931C-08F6A6491CF9.jpeg

I see a good bit of rust underneath and green in the background, so I'm going to assume you're not in the desert southwest. What terrain are you using your rig in and what type of wheeling do you enjoy? Are 35"s what you intend to run going forward? Without these answers, the advice will be generalized...

I believe the OME (Old Man Emu) 2" springs are usually regarded as the best 2-2.5" springs available. If you're trying to do it on a budget, I would keep an eye out on the local market/sale pages like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. I have found all my suspension parts used (some never installed even) with the exception of a few small pieces (I'm going midarm to didn't want to spend any more than necessary to let me accomplish other items on my build plan). You'll certainly want to tackle your rear trackbar - by the pictures you showed above, there is some significant interference with the gas tank skid.

Reactions: Forty
I see a good bit of rust underneath and green in the background, so I'm going to assume you're not in the desert southwest. What terrain are you using your rig in and what type of wheeling do you enjoy? Are 35"s what you intend to run going forward? Without these answers, the advice will be generalized...
I believe the OME (Old Man Emu) 2" springs are usually regarded as the best 2-2.5" springs available. If you're trying to do it on a budget, I would keep an eye out on the local market/sale pages like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. I have found all my suspension parts used (some never installed even) with the exception of a few small pieces (I'm going midarm to didn't want to spend any more than necessary to let me accomplish other items on my build plan). You'll certainly want to tackle your rear trackbar - by the pictures you showed above, there is some significant interference with the gas tank skid.

I am keeping my 35’s, they only have a few thousand on them and I live in Michigan. It is my daily driver and off roader. We have just about all off-road conditions but mountains here lol. The rear track bar is because of too much lift and one of the reasons I want to lower it. The rear track bar and rear shock mounts all already have the extenders on them.
I’ve been looking on marketplace and everywhere else I can think of and no one has had what I’ve been looking for. I know OME and few others are a better product but it needs to get done and I don’t want to wait on marketplace possibilities anymore.

@Forty, you're going to have to change a lot to get down to 2-2.5", and you won't be able to run 35's without a lot of bumpstop, limiting your travel and changing your ride quality. Unless it's a hardship getting in and out of the Jeep, I'd stay at your current lift height. Your rear trackbar relocation bracket is the simple straight one (if I'm seeing correctly, it's partially hidden), which is why with your pinion angled up like that to accommodate the Tummy Tuck, your trackbar is crashing into the gas tank skid. You need an angled rear trackbar relocation bracket. Currie and JKS sell them.

Angled trackbar bracket for the rear and better shocks would be the easy way to go. Even if you go 3 inch springs you will still need the rear trackbar bracket, a new pitman arm and front track bar or be stuck with more bumpstop spacing than you really want.

@Forty, you're going to have to change a lot to get down to 2-2.5", and you won't be able to run 35's without a lot of bumpstop, limiting your travel and changing your ride quality. Unless it's a hardship getting in and out of the Jeep, I'd stay at your current lift height. Your rear trackbar relocation bracket is the simple straight one (if I'm seeing correctly, it's partially hidden), which is why with your pinion angled up like that to accommodate the Tummy Tuck, your trackbar is crashing into the gas tank skid. You need an angled rear trackbar relocation bracket. Currie and JKS sell them.
I think I actually have that angled bracket somewhere.

Reactions: JMT
Angled trackbar bracket for the rear and better shocks would be the easy way to go. Even if you go 3 inch springs you will still need the rear trackbar bracket, a new pitman arm and front track bar or be stuck with more bumpstop spacing than you really want.
I have a drop down pitman installed and I believe I have that rear track bar angled mount, just have to install it. This thing is just all over the road and blows with the wind. Even after all new tie rods new front stabilizer shock it’s all over the place

I have a drop down pitman installed and I believe I have that rear track bar angled mount, just have to install it. This thing is just all over the road and blows with the wind. Even after all new tie rods new front stabilizer shock it’s all over the place

Well we do drive bricks so there will always be issues with the wind. But wandering usually boils down to getting everything dialed in. Caster, toe in as well as thrust angle all can contribute to wandering. It might also help if you had front adjustable uppers to make sure you get good caster angle and not crash into the drop track bar bracket at full stuff. Be sure your tires are not overinflated as that will not help either.

Well we do drive bricks so there will always be issues with the wind. But wandering usually boils down to getting everything dialed in. Caster, toe in as well as thrust angle all can contribute to wandering. It might also help if you had front adjustable uppers to make sure you get good caster angle and not crash into the drop track bar bracket at full stuff. Be sure your tires are not overinflated as that will not help either.
I did have it aligned about two months ago but it was bell tire and I don’t know how extensive they get. I typically run my tires at 42 psi.
what do you mean crash into the drop track bar bracket at full stuff?

42psi in the tires is way too high.

Most recommend around 25psi for 35 inch tires. That will definitely change the road manners. I'd drop some pressure and see how she behaves.

Are you saying you have a Drop Pitman Arm installed?
If that is the case, and I’m reading this all correctly, that needs to go.

1. put the stock pitman arm back on.

2. lower tire pressure on 35’s to 26 psi (or that area)

3. learn to home align

4. deal with rear track bar issues as others mentioned

Your lift height doesn’t mean it’s why you’re all over the road.

Last edited:
The DPA and you running 17psi too much in the tires causes that. How the Hell do you drive it with 42 psi? Covered wagons would ride better.

p.s. I had the RC 4" X control arms on my old 03' Sahara Jeep. Those arms and bushings held up great to 4 years of nothing but mud use. Ask any "high end" $3,000 lift users how their CA bushings held up to mud without a rebuild. Oh I forgot, they're scared of that stuff. I guess that makes them ??? (pic). Profanity is overrated.

Giant cat (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:

Most recommend around 25psi for 35 inch tires. That will definitely change the road manners. I'd drop some pressure and see how she behaves.
Thank you, I will try it

3. learn to home align

The only reason I replaced the factory pitman is because it looked like way to much angle on the passenger side tie rod.

The DPA and you running 17psi too much in the tires causes that. How the Hell do you drive it with 42 psi? Covered wagons would ride better.

p.s. I had the RC 4" X control arms on my old 03' Sahara Jeep. Those arms and bushings held up great to 4 years of nothing but mud use. Ask any "high end" $3,000 lift users how their CA bushings held up to mud without a rebuild. Oh I forgot, they're scared of that stuff. I guess that makes them ??? (pic). Profanity is overrated.

View attachment 214089
Hahaha that pic is great for what you’re saying 🤣.

Reactions: TheBoogieman

I will

I did have it aligned about two months ago but it was bell tire and I don’t know how extensive they get. I typically run my tires at 42 psi.
what do you mean crash into the drop track bar bracket at full stuff?
Well 42 psi is way too high for a TJ you should try somewhere between 26-30 and see if that helps. As for the bracket depending on how much bumpstop spacing you could have interference at full stuff. The only way to know is pull the coils and cycle the suspension to make sure.

3. learn to home align

View attachment 214089

Look closer. He has a dropped track bar so a drop pitman has to be run as well or he will have bump steer.