Need to depress clutch to start in 4 LO

Dyl

I have a 1997 4L 5sp (Australian model) and it needs to press the clutch to start even in 4lo.

From what I have read online, it says you should be able to start in gear when you are in 4lo. Wondering if that's only for US models?

Canadian model here, but mine won't start with clutch out in any configuration unless you pull the fuse specific to accomplish this under the hood.

Did it once to try. Downside is that the 4x4 light stays on all the time to remind you that you have pulled the fuse. Then it will work in any configuration.

Canadian model here, but mine won't start with clutch out in any configuration
Ok so that confirms it. Mine won't start unless the clutch is pressed in any configuration either.

The reason I mentioned 4Lo specifically is, you stalled in a steep hill in 4lo and the jeep would roll back if you had to press the clutch to start. For 2H and 4H I don't really care.

Only Rubicons will start with the clutch out in 4L.

All others have to use the bypass fuse to override the clutch switch.

Reactions: Dyl

Thanks for that. Didn't know that. Also, I should clarify for the OP that I don't remember if you have to pull the fuse or put it in to get the bypass to work...the 4x4 light staying on was a no-go for me.

Reactions: Dyl

I was going to ask WTF were they thinking in regards to Jeep allowing the Rubicon to do that. Maybe it's OK because the Rubicon 4lo ratio is so low that the engine will easily turn over and when the engine gets to running the chances of the Jeep quickly leaping onto something or someone is pretty slim to none. I am kinda surprised the lawyers wouldn't put a stop to this immediately no matter what.

I was going to ask WTF were they thinking in regards to Jeep allowing the Rubicon to do that. Maybe it's OK because the Rubicon 4lo ratio is so low that the engine will easily turn over and when the engine gets to running the chances of the Jeep quickly leaping onto something or someone is pretty slim to none. I am kinda surprised the lawyers wouldn't put a stop to this immediately no matter what.
In the case of a failed hill climb (hill steep enough to need the low box) it's best practice (here in the U.K.) to hold the vehicle on the foot brake select reverse and start the vehicle in gear to avoid the vehicle rolling back out of gear and potentially out of control.
I've done this many times in manual Land Rovers but not so far in the automatic TJ (2002 32RH export model).

Can anyone tell me if I can engage reverse in 4low, before starting the engine, if I fail a hill climb without removing the fuse (which one?) before playing?

Last edited:
Put the fuse back in and it won't.
On a steep hill, you don't have to push the clutch in and smoke the clutch, roll back, spin the tires to get started if you can just crank it up in gear and go.

On a steep hill, you don't have to push the clutch in and smoke the clutch, roll back, spin the tires to get started if you can just crank it up in gear and go.
One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Put the fuse back in and it won't.
I've never moved a fuse and I bought it brand new. So, there's a way to prevent a Rubi from starting with the clutch out in 4L?

It's my understanding on non Rubicons you take the spare fuse and move it to a slot that jumpers the clutch switch, but no experience with a non Rubi.

Since my clutch switch failed, however, I can start mine clutch out in any gear, any tcase range.

Sometimes that's easier said than done.

From the Owner's Manual:
Clutch Interlocking Ignition System (Non —
Rubicon Models Only)
Manual transmission vehicles are equipped with a clutch
interlock safety feature. With this feature engaged, you
must depress the clutch pedal to allow cranking of the
engine. To temporarily bypass this safety feature while
off-road driving (4L range only), which will allow cranking
the engine without depressing the clutch, follow
these steps:
1. Locate the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the
engine compartment. Refer to “Fuse Panel” in Section 7
of this manual. (See page 305 for more information.)
2. Put a 10 Amp fuse in the PDC cavity (#28) marked as
Clutch Override.
NOTE: A fuse is provided in fuseblock cavity (f19 or
f20) marked as Spare.
STARTING AND OPERATING 187