Need to replace the power steering box on an '01?

c_woodruff91

My steering has some play to it. Took a look at things and noticed that, while the bolt that attaches the coupler on the lower shaft to the steering box is completely frozen in place, the coupler itself can move up and down on the rag joint by about a half inch, maybe more.

https://youtube.com/shorts/OKQ8-5SWQQk

Before looking closely I assumed it was the shaft, so bought a replacement. But do you think the problem is actually the box? Unfortunately it's gonna be stupid hard to get the bolt off of the coupler to see what is going on. Hoping I can get a yay or nay on the box before doing that because, since I've already got another shaft, if I also need a new box I can just take that whole assembly out and not worry about it.

Also, assuming it is the box, I see a huge range of prices for replacements. Low end of about $150 for a remanufactured one, high end about $700 for a new Crown. Any recommendations? Would you trust a remanufactured box? Not doing any real hard wheeling at this time.

Cheers.

It sure looks like the input shaft on the box is real loose. Are you sure the shaft is clamped tight?

Well I did manage to break that bolt free and test things out with the new lower shaft and existing steering box. The issue was totally the shaft, but I don't really understand how given how tight that bolt was. Here's a comparison of the old and new. I guess it looks like the spline had broken free from the coupler? IDK. But the steering is tight now.

70753910088__6E6EA25E-158A-4DF9-9BB5-1CBEF2569F8A.jpg

Hey, I’ve got the exact same problem with a two-year old lower shaft from Crown. What did you end up buying for a replacement…OEM, Crown, other?