• 03 TJ rubicon Auto

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • 06 TJ Unlimited rubicon 6-speed

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters

Lax22

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I may need to sell one of my wranglers. Both are rubicons and rust free.

One is an 03 TJ with an auto, built up and wheeled so not pretty, but only has 121,000 miles and a jasper trans and t-case. Also has BMB hydro assist, 4.88 gears, rcv shafts, and savvy/UCF high clearance skids.
7C4BB772-B21B-4678-B093-836775BB722B.jpeg
The second is an 06 TJ unlimited with 238,000 miles, manual trans, and stock except for a 1-inch aluminum Body lift. With the miles I’m not sure what kind of return I could expect.
62549BE3-FC11-45D8-84A8-4472E936BAC5.jpeg
I have had the 03 since 2018 and have a lot of trail time in it, I like that it’s an auto and it wheels pretty well in my opinion. The 06 Unlimited I got last March and have done a lot of maintenance to it. I like driving the manual on the street, not too much of a fan wheeling a manual, but I’ve never had a 6-speed off pavement, only NV3550s. Both need a few little things and I would build the Unlimited if I kept it. I’m just not sure what direction to go. Which one would you keep and which one would you send down the line? Any opinions on the NSG370 off-road?

Since you are thinking of it, seems to me that you would be up for a new project. On that base probably sell the one you have enjoyed and start over with a white canvas. 😉

Reactions: greyghost_lj
I’ve thought about that. A new project would be nice. The TJ already had a lot of the armor and whatnot already installed when I bought it. Always something I wanted to change just not a priority. My worry is I would be getting rid of a turn key rig and starting over. I’d would probably do some things different and keep some things the same.

I’ve thought about that. A new project would be nice. The TJ already had a lot of the armor and whatnot already installed when I bought it. Always something I wanted to change just not a priority. My worry is I would be getting rid of a turn key rig and starting over. I’d would probably do some things different and keep some things the same.
Sure, but you will start with a strong platform since it’s a Rubi LJ. Don’t know how hard wheeling you plan to do but the setup it’s pretty good as is…

Sure, but you will start with a strong platform since it’s a Rubi LJ. Don’t know how hard wheeling you plan to do but the setup it’s pretty good as is…
86403E9A-9CD8-4AE0-AA3F-BD81269B2D40.jpeg
86BFE495-84CF-443C-B798-3446E6EF6064.jpeg82562A0E-33D8-4A84-9F1A-953893F4207A.jpeg
38400636-1EC3-47ED-AE2C-9E79A20A285F.jpeg

These are a few pictures from some of our outings. Northeast US trails and I’d like to be able to continue or step up one notch if possible. The biggest benefit I see from going the Unlimited route is the wheel base and extra space inside. If I build bigger than my current setup that would be a plus.

Not knowing why you are selling one but will that put you in a place where you could afford to build another?

I'm an LJ fan but I'd probably sell that in your situation.

If it were me I’d say goodbye to the ‘06
The miles, potential ECM issue and trans are what would sway me in that direction.
In this market and rust free it should be an easy sell at a ridiculous price.
The 05-06 wranglers do have their fair share of issues, I have already replaced the OPDA with a crown unit and new sensor and it seems the manual trans Jeeps do have as many ECM issues as the auto trans ECMs. It runs great right now and I’ve been driving it for a couple of months with no issues. This is the first wrangler I’ve owned that was older than an 04.
I also hate selling vehicles, it’s always a time suck and buyers can be hard to deal with at times.
Not knowing why you are selling one but will that put you in a place where you could afford to build another?

I'm an LJ fan but I'd probably sell that in your situation.
It would allow me to put more time and money into the TJ, but the goal would be to free up time and funds for possible non-Jeep related endeavors.

Reactions: Irun and Apparition
I would love the extra space of the LJ, but it doesn't seem that important to you. Keep the TJ that's already built the way you want it. You'll get more for the LJ, and it'll move quicker too.

Normally I'd say keep the LJ. This time I'd say sell it because of the miles and manual trans. Plus you can already wheel the 03.

Either that, or swap the engine and trans from the 03 to the 06. Keep what upgrades you can. Now THAT'S a project lol.

I like my hard top and the extra room in my LJ. I do not crawl so the added wheel base and weight is not an issue for me. I do agree that you’ll get more money from selling the LJ and not have to dump a lot of coin to get it up to the capabilities your TJ has now.

Normally I'd say keep the LJ. This time I'd say sell it because of the miles and manual trans. Plus you can already wheel the 03.

Either that, or swap the engine and trans from the 03 to the 06. Keep what upgrades you can. Now THAT'S a project lol.

Start the next project before selling the last project but only after installing parts of the last project on the next project.

FWIW, I reworded that three different times and I'm still not sure if I have it correct but I do think it's the best way to go.

The thought of swapping parts had crossed my mind. I’ve actually passed my antirock, bumper, winch, and savvy gas tank skid from my last TJ before selling it.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Every Jeeper knows, that the secret to surviving, is knowing what to sell away, knowing what to keep.

'Cause every Jeep's a winner, and every Jeep's a loser, and the best you can hope for is to make camp to sleep!
Thanks Kenny .... err hum.. Zorba !

Reactions: Zorba
I may need to sell one of my wranglers. Both are rubicons and rust free.

One is an 03 TJ with an auto, built up and wheeled so not pretty, but only has 121,000 miles and a jasper trans and t-case. Also has BMB hydro assist, 4.88 gears, rcv shafts, and savvy/UCF high clearance skids.
View attachment 297713
The second is an 06 TJ unlimited with 238,000 miles, manual trans, and stock except for a 1-inch aluminum Body lift. With the miles I’m not sure what kind of return I could expect.
View attachment 297716
I have had the 03 since 2018 and have a lot of trail time in it, I like that it’s an auto and it wheels pretty well in my opinion. The 06 Unlimited I got last March and have done a lot of maintenance to it. I like driving the manual on the street, not too much of a fan wheeling a manual, but I’ve never had a 6-speed off pavement, only NV3550s. Both need a few little things and I would build the Unlimited if I kept it. I’m just not sure what direction to go. Which one would you keep and which one would you send down the line? Any opinions on the NSG370 off-road?
If you want to wheel the NSG370, it’s got a great low first gear. Just gear it properly for tire size and get a hand throttle.

What will you sell me the 03’ Rubi for?

Last edited:
If LJR prices continue to rise as they have recently you'd probably be best off tossing it in a barn for 10 years and selling it for 65k as a "low mileage barn find"