Need your thoughts

Paul Robbins

Alright my Jeep Peeps. I finally lifted my 2003 TJ. Need wheels and tires,suggestions.
Also the lift is a Quadratec 3.5 maximum duty lift. Should I put a Pitman drop arm on?
When adding wheels should I put spacers?
Any other suggestions please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, do not install a dropped Pitman arm which would only cause bump steer! No need for wheel spacers when you buy wheels with the correct amount of backspacing. Whst size tires do you plan to run? 33x10.50 or 3 35x12.50?

Please, please, please DO NOT put a dropped pitman arm on it. You will live to regret that one.

And like Jerry said, you shouldn't need wheel spacers if you buy wheels with the correct backspace.

Reactions: Serbonze
Would like 33x10.50
I think 35x12.50 would be too much
I am wanting to trail ride and daily driver
I running stock other than the lift.
What about a longer shifter. After the lift 2 and 4 bang the console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about a longer shifter. After the lift 2 and 4 bang the console.

There are two ways to fix this:

The cheap way is to get a leather shifter boot, like the ones on the 05+ TJs. I did this and it worked for the time being and the shifter did not pop out of 2,4, or reveres. The accordion style boot is too thick and binds up.

The proper way to fix the issue is by getting a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator), adjustable rear upper control arms and new CV style drive shaft. This will allow you to ditch the transfer case drop (which I'm assuming you have), which is causing the problem. Your shifter will then move back to it's correct position and the issue will be solved.

A 33x10.50 would indeed be better for a daily driver with a little bit of trail riding mixed in.

If you're only going to go 10.5" for the tire width, I would go with as close to 5" of backspacing as you can find (the stock backspacing is around 5 to 5.5). Going with less backspacing with that tire width (especially with as little as 3.75") would make your 33x10.50 tires stick out unnecessarily further than is needed (unless you're going for that wide look with the tires sticking out way past the fender flares).

I would definitely stick to a 33" tire, especially if you have the stock Dana 35 axle. What model TJ do you have? A Rubicon will have 4.10 gears which can drive a 33" tire. If you have 3.07 gears then the 33" tire may be too tall (low lagging rpms) when you're on the highway.

A few things:

1. Check your axle gear ratio. My old 02' X model had 3.07 gears. If you don't have the build sheet go to this site and punch in your VIN and it should bring it up (this is a website by Jeep). http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html?screenName=customer&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29

Click on equipment listing on the left side of the page.

2. For tires, think about dick cepek extreme terrain tires. Decent bang for your buck in a 33x10.5 size ($160-170 per tire). If you want more of an all terrain think about BF Goodrich AT's.

3. For Wheels, try Mamba mr1x in a 15x8 size. A little over $100 per wheel at quadratech and they have 4.5" of back spacing. The other option is to use stock jeep Canyon, Ravine, or Gambler wheels.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Chris
Those would work perfect.
Isn't stock backspacing 5.5"? I would think a 33" tires with 5" backspacing would still rub on the arms. Of course the fix for that is a simple steering stop adjustment. If he went with a 4.5" or 4" backspaced wheel then there would be no need to lose turning radius. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It isn't so much the 33" that is the rubbing issue, the lift should account for that. It's the 10.5" vs. 12.5" width that would be a factor in rubbing at full lock. You can pretty much run any 31/10.5 tire on stock wheels with no or very little rubbing. 33/10.5 doesn't seem that different, just taller.

Isn't stock backspacing 5.5"? I would think a 33" tires with 5" backspacing would still rub on the arms. Of course the fix for that is a simple steering stop adjustment. If he went with a 4.5" or 4" backspaced wheel then there would be no need to lose turning radius. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stock backspacing is between 5" to 5.5" depending on which wheel you have.

A 33" tire with 5" backspacing shouldn't rub if the width is narrow enough. He stalking about a 10.5" wheel, so that shouldn't have any rubbing issues at all. Now if it was a wider tire (i.e. 12", then you'd have rubbing at full lock).

It isn't so much the 33" that is the rubbing issue, the lift should account for that. It's the 10.5" vs. 12.5" width that would be a factor in rubbing at full lock. You can pretty much run any 31/10.5 tire on stock wheels with no or very little rubbing. 33/10.5 doesn't seem that different, just taller.

Yep, you said it!