New 05 LJ Rubicon. Advice wanted

BretStep

I'm the new owner of an 05 LJ Rubicon, 6sp with 10,500 original miles. Bought from a dealer who replaced original tires with a larger 285 width, which translates to a 22.8" tire on the stock suspension . I'm not looking to do any rock crawling but what is a good quality 2 to 4 inch suspension lift kit that I can buy that won't be a headache? Not looking for installation problems or compatibility issues. I just want to do it right. What are the best brands?

I'm not sure how you're translating 285mm width into a 22.8" tire. 285 = 11" wide tire but, to get the actual tire diameter, we'll need the sidewall % and rim diameter to know what size tire you really have.

That being said, if you're looking for a 2 1/2" lift you can't go wrong with an Old Man Emu lift. If that's not quite enough lift, then you can add a 1" body lift. The benefit of going this route, especially with an LJR, is you won't have to change out driveshafts or worry about driveline angles. If you're wondering how that will look here is my '05 LJR with that exact setup running on a set of 255/85R16s (33x10).

F4C576BB-57B0-4E38-B57C-0DEC1FF7DEC4.JPG

Reactions: JP98
I'm not sure how you're translating 285mm width into a 22.8" tire. 285 = 11" wide tire but, to get the actual tire diameter, we'll need the sidewall % and rim diameter to know what size tire you really have.

That being said, if you're looking for a 2 1/2" lift you can't go wrong with an Old Man Emu lift. If that's not quite enough lift, then you can add a 1" body lift. The benefit of going this route, especially with an LJR, is you won't have to change out driveshafts or worry about driveline angles. If you're wondering how that will look here is my '05 LJR with that exact setup running on a set of 255/85R16s (33x10).

View attachment 11031
Looks great. So that's a 2.5 suspension with a 1 in body lift setup?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I'm the new owner of an 05 LJ Rubicon, 6sp with 10,500 original miles. Bought from a dealer who replaced original tires with a larger 285 width, which translates to a 22.8" tire on the stock suspension.
Congrats on the new Jeep. You definitely found a gem that is sure to make a lot of Jeep guys jealous.

I'm not looking to do any rock crawling but what is a good quality 2 to 4 inch suspension lift kit that I can buy that won't be a headache? Not looking for installation problems or compatibility issues. I just want to do it right. What are the best brands?
Don't think about suspension as offroad use vs on road use and that if it's good offroad it can't be good on road. You seem new to jeeps so just wanted to make sure you know that now.

Next, Currie, Savvy Offroad (who sells curries suspension stuff as well as their own products), and Metalcloak are probably the "best". If I had to pick between Currie and MC, I'd go with Currie for suspension components. They are what everyone compares new products to as either not as good or "just as good as Currie". As someone mentioned above OME is a very good lift as well. I run their springs and sport shocks. The only thing about going with OME lift is they only sell springs and shocks. So you'd have to buy the other components from a company like Currie, Savvy, or MC. If I did it again, I'd get their springs, but probably a different set of shocks. They aren't bad, I just want something different, which could be chalked up to the fact that I just like to tinker with my jeep a lot.

As far as lift height goes, the world is your oyster really. With the longer wheelbase of the LJ, you don't have to worry as much about drive line vibes with a 2-4" lift. At this point, what lift height you need really depends upon what size tires you want to run. If you want to stay on 32" tires, a 2.5"-3" lift is perfect.

I'll finish this long winded post with a question. What do you know about lifting a jeep and do you know all of the parts needed? The first step to lifting a jeep is understanding why you need more than just springs and shocks.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Reactions: Chris and FF_Jeep
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Congrats on the new Jeep. You definitely found a gem that is sure to make a lot of Jeep guys jealous.

Don't think about suspension as offroad use vs on road use and that if it's good offroad it can't be good on road. You seem new to jeeps so just wanted to make sure you know that now.

Next, Currie, Savvy Offroad (who sells curries suspension stuff as well as their own products), and Metalcloak are probably the "best". If I had to pick between Currie and MC, I'd go with Currie for suspension components. They are what everyone compares new products to as either not as good or "just as good as Currie". As someone mentioned above OME is a very good lift as well. I run their springs and sport shocks. The only thing about going with OME lift is they only sell springs and shocks. So you'd have to buy the other components from a company like Currie, Savvy, or MC. If I did it again, I'd get their springs, but probably a different set of shocks. They aren't bad, I just want something different, which could be chalked up to the fact that I just like to tinker with my jeep a lot.

As far as lift height goes, the world is your oyster really. With the longer wheelbase of the LJ, you don't have to worry as much about drive line vibes with a 2-4" lift. At this point, what lift height you need really depends upon what size tires you want to run. If you want to stay on 32" tires, a 2.5"-3" lift is perfect.

I'll finish this long winded post with a question. What do you know about lifting a jeep and do you know all of the parts needed? The first step to lifting a jeep is understanding why you need more than just springs and shocks.

This is my first jeep that I've actually owned but have lifted two pickups. I know that there is a lot of experience here with jeeps specifically, so I figured I would ask about the general consensus on who has had good luck with what brand.
It's going to be a pavement and trail rig, nothing hard core. I'm just surprised that the dealer who is a jeep enthusiast, decided put a set of 285/75R16 's on stock rims with no lift. I reviewed a few lift and fitment guides and they both say that a lift is mandatory. Besides, it pretty easy to tell from the picture alone.

Reactions: Chris
Chances are your front tires will rub the lower control arms and your front sway bar at full lock. Your rear tires will rub the inner fender well if the suspension is flexed. A 2.5" lift and 2" bumpstop extensions will cure that. The OME lift is good stuff. I'm 10 years, 100k miles on mine and it's still going strong.

This is my first jeep that I've actually owned but have lifted two pickups. I know that there is a lot of experience here with jeeps specifically, so I figured I would ask about the general consensus on who has had good luck with what brand.
It's going to be a pavement and trail rig, nothing hard core. I'm just surprised that the dealer who is a jeep enthusiast, decided put a set of 285/75R16 's on stock rims with no lift. I reviewed a few lift and fitment guides and they both say that a lift is mandatory. Besides, it pretty easy to tell from the picture alone.

Fair enough. I'd definitely go with something like the Currie 3" or OME 2.5" lift and get Currie/Savvy parts to complete it (aka control arms, trackbars, steering upgrades if you need it).

Is this a picture of the LJR you purchased? Because that's a LJR that I've been following religiously on eBay.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=401273381676
I've been tracking the three major online classified sites and eBay for two years, looking for an unmolested low mileage LJ Rubicon with the 6 speed that hasn't seen Salt. Very hard to find. A red one in Florida with 25k miles went for $25,500 in August and a lime green one with 31k in Wisconsin was listed at 22,500. Both sold within 2 days before I could get there to look at them.

Last edited:

Well that's what was going to be the next question. At what point in suspension lift height is it recommended that parts other than Springs, shocks and stops be upgraded to compensate for the geometry changes?

Well that's what was going to be the next question. At what point in suspension lift height is it recommended that parts other than Springs, shocks and stops be upgraded to compensate for the geometry changes?
My personal threshold, and what I feel is the general consensus, is anything above 2" gets an adjustable track bar and extended sway bar links at a minimum. Anything 3-3.5" and up get that plus adjustable control arms. At the very least, you'd need rear upper CA's and front lowers to adjust rear pinion angle and caster angle on the front.

However, it all depends upon your jeep and your preferences. I didn't get adjustable control arms with my 2.5" OME lift. But after driving it for a while I'm highly considering a set of control arms for the front end to start chasing some loose steering issues I'm having. Is the steering so loose that it's unsafe to drive? No. But I like to be meticulous and I try not to settle for "OK" or second best when it comes to my Jeep.

Currie is a great lift. To me the best. A 3 inch would look great under it. Go 4 if you think you will ever go 35's on the tires. You can build the kit or get it complete with front and rear track bars and even an Anti Rock.
Get the double ended aluminum control arms from Savvy and it will flex out like a long arm. + They have a discount code for 10% off

If you want to do it right, and want the best of the best lift kit out of the box, get a Currie 4" lift (or the Savvy 4" lift, which is basically the Currie lift with a few tweaks). Talk to @4LowParts and he will hook you up.

This is one of those big expenses, but if you want to do it right the first time, this is the lift you want.

I have it on my TJ and absolutely love it. Pair it with a Currie Currectlync and you'll be good to go.

That gem of an LJ you bought deserves nothing but the best.