New 19 Gallon Fuel Pump Installed on '99 Sahara Is Actually for 15 Gallon Tank!

MaWaWilHe

Installed new fuel pump supposedly for my 19 gallon tank after asking to verify. Sure enough it is the 15 Gallon pump. Will I still get all 19 gallons of fuel and if so can I adjust the float to account for the wrong pump?

Your fuel level reading is going to be off. I am not sure the sender can be adjusted to read properly in a different capacity tank. I could be mistaken. You’ll need to keep researching that bit of information…

All that being said, 19 gallons is 19 gallons. Pay attention to how much is going in your tank on every fill and you will quickly figure out where your gauge is reading vs what you actually have in the tank…

Your fuel level reading is going to be off. I am not sure the sender can be adjusted to read properly in a different capacity tank. I could be mistaken. You’ll need to keep researching that bit of information…

All that being said, 19 gallons is 19 gallons. Pay attention to how much is going in your tank on every fill and you will quickly figure out where your gauge is reading vs what you actually have in the t

All that being said, 19 gallons is 19 gallons. Pay attention to how much is going in your tank on every fill and you will quickly figure out where your gauge is reading vs what you actually have in the tank…
That's how I knew it was the wrong pump in the first place. I filled up the first time after changing the pump out. The guage was in E and when the gas pump stopped it was only at 14.9 gallons or something like that. Always for me to fill up before the gas pump would be from 16 - 19 gallons to fill up.

All that being said, 19 gallons is 19 gallons. Pay attention to how much is going in your tank on every fill and you will quickly figure out where your gauge is reading vs what you actually have in the t

That's how I knew it was the wrong pump in the first place. I filled up the first time after changing the pump out. The guage was in E and when the gas pump stopped it was only at 14.9 gallons or something like that. Always for me to fill up before the gas pump would be from 16 - 19 gallons to fill up
Worse case your tank will read full longer. What part number assembly did you install?
Actually shows Empty at 15 gallons now. So, wouldn't that mean it would stay on empty longer?

That's how I knew it was the wrong pump in the first place. I filled up the first time after changing the pump out. The guage was in E and when the gas pump stopped it was only at 14.9 gallons or something like that. Always for me to fill up before the gas pump would be from 16 - 19 gallons to fill up

Actually shows Empty at 15 gallons now. So, wouldn't that mean it would stay on empty longer?
No. Empty is when the float is at the bottom. It didn’t change your capacity. Both the 15 and 19 gallon sending units read empty with the Same amount of fuel in the tank. The difference is one reads full at 19 and the other reads full at 15.
What brand and part number did you install?

I believe so. Full is only full once with either sender…

Now when your low fuel light pops on you will have an additional 4 gallons (that the 19 gallon sender would still be registering at above empty) AND the normal 4 gallons both senders would illuminate the low fuel level light for. So it seems now when the low level pops up you actually have 8’ish gallons left instead of the 4’ish you would have with the proper 19 gallon fuel sender…
No. Both the 15 and 19 will show empty with the same amount of fuel. The difference is the 19 will register the extra 4 gallons at full. They will show empty when the float is at the lowest point, which is the same for both units.

Reactions: MichaelGH
Installed new fuel pump supposedly for my 19 gallon tank after asking to verify. Sure enough it is the 15 Gallon pump. Will I still get all 19 gallons of fuel and if so can I adjust the float to account for the wrong pump?

I have a 97 SE that came with a 15 gallon tank and 15 gallon Sending unit. When I did the mod to open up the other 4 gallons, which gave me a 19 gallon tank, I found that my sending unit worked fine. It’s just that for the first 4 gallons, it continues to read full. Then, it’s just as accurate as it ever was after that point.

EDIT: I see I’m late to this thread, and that the topic has changed.

I should have said it was "empty according to the fuel gauge" Sorry if I thought that was understood. Anyone would know it was not empty if the engine was still running. I did not say I ran out of gas. I said it was empty. I was going by the gas gauge.

We didn't know the engine was still running, you didn't mention that part. Our info is only as accurate as yours. Had you said that the gauge indicated empty and the low fuel light had just turned on, we would have proffered a very educated guess that you would have about 5 gallons left in the tank because that is how they designed it to stop all the foolios from running out of fuel.