New 2000 TJ Owner

tlharvieux

Hey all-

I just purchased my very first Jeep! Its a 2000 TJ 4.0L Manual, with 173,000 Miles, which I picked up for $3k. Overall, it appears to be in great shape. I want to maintain this vehicle as a daily driver (I have a short work commute), but spice it up a little to have some fun on the weekends... I am aiming to keep a budget of $5000, which leaves me $2k after the vehicle itself.

The most important thing to me at first, is to address anything that may be preventing it from running and driving as well as possible. Seeing that I don't know the maintenance history of the vehicle, here is where I plan to start:

- Oil/oil filter
- Air filter
- Thermostat/ coolant temp sensor/ radiator cap/ coolant flush (to address engine running a bit cold)
- Plugs/ wires/ distributor cap
- Front Rotors and pads
- Steering Stabilizer (A little squirrelly hitting big cracks or pot holes on highway)
- 31" AT Tires (current tires are shot)
- Aftermarket stereo ( because the stock one sucks)

Question is, what am I missing?

What should I be doing to ensure longevity of the transmission/ 4WD/ Etc... ?

Is there anything beyond a new steering stabilizer that would improve performance going down the road?

Beyond these items, I would like to modestly "mod" out the TJ. Small lift, Fenders, bumpers, lights, add soft top, and...?

There is an overwhelming amount of information on here, and looking for reassurance that I am on the right path. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

jeep.jpg

Welcome! Looks cold up there.

I think you're on the right track, the only thing you didn't mention fluid-wise was your drivetrain. With that mileage and unknown history it might not hurt to go ahead and change the diff oils, transfer case & trans oil while you're at it. When you go to change the front brakes have a good look at the suspension, make sure your hubs feel tight - if there's any freeplay that would be a good time to change the bearing units while you're doing the brakes. Look over your front steering connections, make sure nothing is loose.

Other than mx items I would suggest you spend some time driving it as-is and get a good feel for it before you move on to upgrades. Lurk on the forum, ask plenty of questions, and see where you stand after a few months of living with it.

Reactions: Steel City 06
That's a great price. Definitely replace the serpentine belt. Keep the one you take off as a spare. If that brakes, your day will suck. I've replaced mine twice since 2008. One when I first got it, then again a few years ago, just for assurance that it won't brake out in the middle of nowhere.

Welcome! Looks cold up there.

I think you're on the right track, the only thing you didn't mention fluid-wise was your drivetrain. With that mileage and unknown history it might not hurt to go ahead and change the diff oils, transfer case & trans oil while you're at it. When you go to change the front brakes have a good look at the suspension, make sure your hubs feel tight - if there's any freeplay that would be a good time to change the bearing units while you're doing the brakes. Look over your front steering connections, make sure nothing is loose.

Other than mx items I would suggest you spend some time driving it as-is and get a good feel for it before you move on to upgrades. Lurk on the forum, ask plenty of questions, and see where you stand after a few months of living with it.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! New tires go on today, so I will ask if they can give everything a good shake, and let me know how the bearing are looking.

Flush the brake fluid when you do the brakes. New tires will help a lot with how it drives, so report back after the new tires.

Welcome!

Instead of this; - Steering Stabilizer (A little squirrelly hitting big cracks or pot holes on highway). I recommend looking into a zj steering upgrade. Its cheap and heavy duty. Great for my daily driven 2000 tj on 35s.