New 2003 Rubicon Owner from South Dakota with a Million Questions

Brad W

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Good Evening everyone. I finally did it, I got my first Wrangler and excited to get started on my build. With that being said I have a ton of questions, but I will start with the most concerning ones first. This jeep currently has 35in tires that are super bald and I want to replace them with 33's. Okay so this jeep is a Frankenstein build I cant figure out. The previous owner listed a bunch of upgrades/mods that I can only google search but have no idea what they are. He says it has JK Springs and Control arms with Rough Country suspension lift? then there is an Adams front Drive Shaft that looks new, Woodys Rear driveshaft that looks new. Rustys track bar, Rusty's tie Rod. He says the JK coils are the Majority of the lift. Now, with all of this stated I want to get new shocks because they are beat and the boots are ripped up. same with the springs, and the control arms are as well. I just need some guidance on where to start. Should i just get the 33's even though they will looks small until I can get new springs and coils? Will they work with the new drive shafts? I really want to get out there and start exploring but im weary on the JK Adds to this TJ. Any guidance would be appreciated!

welcome and congrats on your new-to-you Rubicon :thumbsup:

you may want to repost your questions (with pics if possible) in TJ General Discussion so you get more eyes and replies

Reactions: Brad W
You are going to need to post photos of this setup so we can see what's going on. JK control arms won't work on a TJ, but the springs can. They won't give enough lift for 35s, though. Hence the need for pics. Welcome to WTJF!

You are going to need to post photos of this setup so we can see what's going on. JK control arms won't work on a TJ, but the springs can. They won't give enough lift for 35s, though. Hence the need for pics. Welcome to WTJF!

Will do, I will post Pictures today once I get home today. I was going to do it lastnight but a storm blew in when I was working on it. They are def 35's though, I wonder whatelse is on there....

20181109_080740.jpg
20181109_080534.jpg
20181109_080541.jpg
20181109_080554.jpg

This is the front

Welcome aboard!

So you have JKS control arms (see the sticker on them) and some sort of aftermarket steering (does not look familiar). Measure the springs front and rear, minus the rubber isolators, and see what you have. 12" front and 8" rear is stock so anything over that is lift.

Rust, blah! There are various products available to mitigate rust. Take care of it now before it gets any worse.

Welcome aboard!

So you have JKS control arms (see the sticker on them) and some sort of aftermarket steering (does not look familiar). Measure the springs front and rear, minus the rubber isolators, and see what you have. 12" front and 8" rear is stock so anything over that is lift.

Rust, blah! There are various products available to mitigate rust. Take care of it now before it gets any worse.

Yesss the rust is going to be a every weekend project. I got the process down from and old cherokee I had. Could I go with a zone 4.25 Lift spring combo and get control arms down the road? Or do I have to do it all together at once?

Reactions: Rob5589
Looks like you have JKS quick disconnects for the front anti-sway bar, but only see one side connected (sort of, it's just on the pin, but nothing to hold it on that. That could cause some squirrely handling, for sure...

Last edited:
Looks like you have JKS quick disconnects for the front anti-sway bar, but only see one side connected (sort of, it's just on the pin, but nothing to hold in on that. That could cause some squirrely handling, for sure...

It's pretty harsh. Any bump takes the jeep. Untill I get a new one im only driving to and from work. Luckly Base is only down the street so no highway drving :).

Tire pressure has a lot to do with ride also. What are your tires at now? For 35's, 25 PSI is a good starting point.

Looks like a JKS lift to me. Those arms are probably ok, if they are still free to pivot. They looks like the JKS Axis control arms. Clean them up, paint, should work out good.
That rear driveshaft doesn't look new to me... I'd check the u joint, then paint it.

For springs, shocks, etc. If you want to one stop shop, give DPG Off-road a call. They will build you a kit to work with what you have. Not sure if you have a body lift or not. Ideally, for 33s you need right around 3.5-4 inches total lift. That can be a combination of spring and body lift. He'll set up up with whatever you need to get there.

I'd also strip that steering off, and go with the ZJ upgrade. Cheap and reliable.

Looks like a JKS lift to me. Those arms are probably ok, if they are still free to pivot. They looks like the JKS Axis control arms. Clean them up, paint, should work out good.
That rear driveshaft doesn't look new to me... I'd check the u joint, then paint it.

For springs, shocks, etc. If you want to one stop shop, give DPG Off-road a call. They will build you a kit to work with what you have. Not sure if you have a body lift or not. Ideally, for 33s you need right around 3.5-4 inches total lift. That can be a combination of spring and body lift. He'll set up up with whatever you need to get there.

I'd also strip that steering off, and go with the ZJ upgrade. Cheap and reliable.

Thank you for the information. What ZJ steering are you suggesting?