New AEV TJ highline hood on eBay (yes this is the real AEV hood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougB

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=233575289817

I almost decided to drive to AR tomorrow and pull the trigger on this, but I already have a DuraFlex fiberglass hood to try and if that sucks (like most do) I'll cut my factory hood and put the $$$ I could spend on this legit AEV hood to better use. Pretty cool seeing one in the wild though. even more rare than a unicorn, this is an alicorn (yes, I have kids hence I know what this is - lol)

Seller has offers in play so anyone reallllly wanting this better act quickly and pony up the $$$.

ScreenCapture 2020-05-01_03.jpg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=233575289817

I almost decided to drive to AR tomorrow and pull the trigger on this, but I already have a DuraFlex fiberglass hood to try and if that sucks (like most do) I'll cut my factory hood and put the $$$ I could spend on this legit AEV hood to better use. Pretty cool seeing one in the wild though. even more rare than a unicorn, this is an alicorn (yes, I have kids hence I know what this is - lol)

Seller has offers in play so anyone reallllly wanting this better act quickly and pony up the $$$.

View attachment 157634
Thats a pretty fair price for a NOS that hasnt been fooled with by the previous owner.

Nice find!

Reactions: taylormade73
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I am surprised it's not gone. He said he had people wanting to come get it last weekend. I would have gone up Saturday but my offer was below the others. Just as well, I found a deal on a Poison Spyder cage kit closer to me than the hood so I'm getting that this weekend.

$2000 and still going? I can get a whole TJ for that. Also, I need it in green, so no sale. So close.

I actually saw this last week, thought about it, but then realized GenRight makes one for a better price (y)

$2000 and still going? I can get a whole TJ for that.
Damn, please dont look at my parts list for my YJ build. 😂 Just the rear Spidertrax 8 lug unit bearings are worth more than the Jeep.

Also, I need it in green, so no sale. So close.
I would ask you if you have ever heard of a body shop, but based of the first part of your comment, I’ll just ask you if you have ever heard of spray paint? Hell, some guys will throw a can away and not every bit of it. ;)

Reactions: gbirk
I guess I should have included a "/s", but in all honesty I would have a hard time putting a rare $2k hood on a Jeep I was going to use like a Jeep. $2k in beefed up suspension parts, you bet, but a cosmetic hood like that just does not belong on a trail.

I guess I should have included a "/s", but in all honesty I would have a hard time putting a rare $2k hood on a Jeep I was going to use like a Jeep. $2k in beefed up suspension parts, you bet, but a cosmetic hood like that just does not belong on a trail.
Well it does tie in to the suspension in directly. Allowing one to run high line fenders...

Reactions: gbirk
I figured if you were the type to buy a $2k TJ, you surely would not stop at a body shop for an estimate on paint.

Well, I actually paid $8k for my TJ, but your still not wrong. I have silver 1/2 doors wrapped in flat black vinyl to proov it.:ROFLMAO:

I actually saw this last week, thought about it, but then realized GenRight makes one for a better price (y)
Show me a GenRight steel TJ highline hood. My research on that Duraflex fiberglass one they sell needs a lot of work to make it look decent at 50ft. Even still, I have it in the garage waiting to go on. My buddy has one, too. We're going to try them and see if we can make them work without too many unsightly issues. The fitment is the main gripe I've heard from others on them. It's not a show hood, it's a high line, wheeling hood.

Local pickup only.
I'm 7 hrs one way from him so a long day, round trip. $100 in fuel cost. If this wasn't COVID-19 times I'd take a small vacation in Hot Springs while there. And if my LJ was built I'd haul it there and go play at Superlift ORV Park! Went there in 2010 and it was nice.

He told me he had offers to ship for $2k and $1500 picked up. If he comes back and is willing to take my offer, I would seriously consider getting it and selling my fiberglass hood to someone for a deal.

Reactions: Tldelaney
Show me a GenRight steel TJ highline hood. My research on that Duraflex fiberglass one they sell needs a lot of work to make it look decent at 50ft. Even still, I have it in the garage waiting to go on. My buddy has one, too. We're going to try them and see if we can make them work without too many unsightly issues. The fitment is the main gripe I've heard from others on them. It's not a show hood, it's a high line, wheeling hood.

I would buy it then.

I've already got a real AEV hood, otherwise I might.

...but a cosmetic hood like that just does not belong on a trail.
Very good point. It's all about budget and everyone's is wildly different.

The GenRight one is carbon fiber I believe. Carbon fiber would be even better than steel.

In addition, I don't think GenRight would put out anything crappy quality, period. The Duraflex one is a piece of shit, but if I had to guess, GenRight us using a totally different mold, and completely different quality control.

Again, GenRight stuff isn't eBay garbage like that Duraflex hood some people are buying.

So while it's not steel, I'd be willing to bet you it fits just as good as the AEV hood, at a fraction of the cost.
The only one I see listed on their site is the DuraFlex. See here. The CF hood was around on their site for a while at $999, iirc. IMO, GenRight has the connections to get the hood to look "right". They show 2 Jeeps using it and the fitment looks very good. Maybe it worked out of the box, maybe it didn't. I will find out soon enough. I have GenRight's high line aluminum fenders so it may fit nicely with theirs vs other highlines.

My understanding is Extreme Dimensions is the maker of DuraFlex hood and body panels. This is a direct copy of the AEV hood based on what what I've read over on the AEV forums. Right down to the photograph they use for marketing. It was actually a NON-HIGHLINE AEV hood that they photoshopped. You can see the original photo here (middle photo) and here. When you look at the Duraflex ad photo, the same rock chips are in the TJ grill, same reflection in the front of the driver side fender, same shadows on the hood, same dirt spots on flare extension. They photoshopped the fenders upward and did their best to hide the reflections but it is still obvious in my opinion.

Here's a side by side look at DuraFlex vs. AEV non-highline photos with my added circles for emphasis.
Duraflex highline photo vs AEV non-highline photo.jpg

I would buy it then.

I've already got a real AEV hood, otherwise I might.
Seems like you should just sell the AEV hood and fenders and go with GR. You could likely pocket a few k even after paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.