New Aisin AX5 transmissions are still available!

RaymondT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I decided to post this as a new thread for the current and future 4-banger crowd. If you're not modifying your ride and keeping it mostly stock, the AX5 will provide reasonable service life. Plus it fits!

I ordered a new AX5 from Central Ave Chrysler Jeep through Amazon.com. They still have a few NOS AX5's on the shelf

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV5CJGW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

But I also got a reply to an inquiry I made with Omix-ADA on their AX5's p/n 18803.05. Turns out, these are brand-new Aisin built (OEM) transmissions right from Japan. I had assumed they were aftermarket knock-offs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034KOQ1C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I still think this is really cool! It's a chunk of change, but it's a brand new transmission, and probably your last opportunity to ever get one!

Advanced Adapters has a kit that looks pretty well put togather for stuffing an AX-15 behind the 2.5. When my AX-5 goes, that's the way I'm fixing it. The AA kit and a new AX-15. The gear ratios are close enough for government work.

Reactions: Brantley
I gave the AA AX15 kit some serious consideration but my Jeep will only see stock 225/75R15's in it's future. The complete AA kit for mine would have been in the neighbour hood of 2350-2500 with D/L modifications added in. I'll keep the old AX5 for rebuilding should the need arise. I'm going to commute with my TJ so it will see some serious miles.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I gave the AA AX15 kit some serious consideration but my Jeep will only see stock 225/75R15's in it's future. The complete AA kit for mine would have been in the neighbour hood of 2350-2500 with D/L modifications added in. I'll keep the old AX5 for rebuilding should the need arise. I'm going to commute with my TJ so it will see some serious miles.
That's the fly in the ointment...$2,500 isn't chump change. That's about what doing a set of axles correctly runs.

That's the fly in the ointment...$2,500 isn't chump change. That's about what doing a set of axles correctly runs.

This TJ is going to see serious highway miles in addition to a little mild offroading. To put it into perspective, the taxes alone on a new JK with a moderate trim level is $4500. For me, a major component (factory new) such as the engine or transmission, it's not out of line.

This TJ is going to see serious highway miles in addition to a little mild offroading. To put it into perspective, the taxes alone on a new JK with a moderate trim level is $4500. For me, a major component (factory new) such as the engine or transmission, it's not out of line.
Ouch! $4,500 in taxes on a new JK makes maintaining the TJ sound pretty good, doesn't it? Plus, having the spare transmission on the shelf, ready to rebuild is a good thing.

Plus, some of us wouldn't trade their TJ for a JK regardless of cost... I'd like a nice JK as an addition, but I wouldn't sell my TJ to replace it with a JK.
Been there, done that...didn't even get a t-shirt. Ever try to budget builds on TWO Wranglers?! It's hard enough to explain to the wife what she needs and why...for the JKU...but trying to fit all of that into the budget is painful. On the bright side though, I don't have to keep putting the back seat into the TJ and taking it out any longer!

The transmission finally arrived. I got pretty concerned when the Amazon shipping waybill listed the order as delivered and all I got was a 13-ounce tiny box with the rear main seal in it. A few days later, the transmission showed up. Turns out the 3rd party vender (which was a NY dealership) didn't update the order with the separate waybill info for the tranny. Anyway, all good.

Was kind of concerned of NOS (new old stock) aging on the shelf but she's pristine! A peek inside shows everything like new. Dated code on the box is 02/02/2010 so it's not ancient. Probably about the last time these were available through Mopar. The dealer in NY buys NOS stuff for resale from other dealers looking to blow out obsolete inventory. Still two Mopar AX5's left, although OMIX-ADA still sells new Aisons from Japan. Hopefully stock tires, highway miles, and routine oil changes will make this one go the distance. AX5's usually crap out when Jeeps get modified or knarly off-road use.

IMG_0744.JPG
IMG_0742.JPG

Oh man, that things a beauty! What it must feel like to hold a brand new transmission in your hands. Pure euphoria!

Reactions: StG58
Oh man, that things a beauty! What it must feel like to hold a brand new transmission in your hands. Pure euphoria!

Without the bell housing, it's only 77.5 lbs. Barely warrants a transmission hoist. On my original transmission, I noticed the orange gasket maker. Thought maybe it had work done on it but I can see now that it's the factory sealant.

My brand new AX15 from Novak that they buy from Aisin-Warner had all sorts of different color RTV on it. I figured Novak took it apart and put it back together or something but my factory transmission was the same way, only old and dirty so it was harder to see. Still loving my brand new AX15.

Reactions: Chris