New alignment tool

Jeep 541X

Bend Jeepin'
Supporting Member
There goes another one of my ideas... LOL
IMG_3444_1800x1800.jpg

https://www.tmrcustoms.com/collections/tools/products/diy-toe-alignment-tool

Nothing new here, they're just jumping in the market. QuickTrick is already on their 4th generation of at home alignment tools. I remember seeing their promotions in Hot Rod mag 5-10 years ago. That's the first name I remember offering these types of products/tools for DIY.

https://quicktrickalignment.com/product-category/diy-auto-enthusiast/

That’s neat. I’ve been out of the automotive scene for a couple of decades until the TJ came along two years ago.

I think Bleepin Jeep was selling a similar one too. Or at least I saw one on one of his video screenshots, I didn't watch it thought.

Reactions: Jeep 541X
Am I missing something? Looks like a 2” or larger piece of angle iron with holes drilled in it would do the same thing for way less money.

Yes, that will work. Need two, clamp them to your rotors. But they had better be perfectly straight, we're measuring to within about 1/32". It's surprising how much warp a brand new angle or square tube can have.

Reactions: BlueC and Jeep 541X
Yes, that will work. Need two, clamp them to your rotors. But they had better be perfectly straight, we're measuring to within about 1/32". It's surprising how much warp a brand new angle or square tube can have.
I just know that at 75-80MPH, with 33x11.5 Nitto tires, my TJ was driving pretty darn comfortably after I did my 1st alignment job on it a couple of days ago. 😋

Am I missing something? Looks like a 2” or larger piece of angle iron with holes drilled in it would do the same thing for way less money.

Length of tool also determines what measurements are needed (front & rear) to get the proper angle.

Reactions: BlueC
I bought the TMR ones and put two laser measure tools on them. Still cheaper than most of the alignment shops around here. Probably more accurate as well.

Reactions: Jeep 541X
OK stupid question here.
What actually causes miss alignment to happen? Metal stretch, bolts shifting, bending components or just wear? I can see needing to do an alignment after doing work on the front end components.

OK stupid question here.
What actually causes miss alignment to happen? Metal stretch, bolts shifting, bending components or just wear? I can see needing to do an alignment after doing work on the front end components.

That question always intrigues me. I have long considered regular alignments to be one of the most over-rated maintenance practices out there. Yet many shops recommend them annually or some such. Seems to me that a typical vehicle should almost never need an alignment unless something is bent, broken, or excessively worn. Repair or part replacement should nearly always precede an alignment.

With a big caveat of course regarding deliberate changes to suspension and/or steering, such as lifting our TJs.

Reactions: BlueC
I am intrigued about using one of these tools (which seems easier than my 36" DIY scrap steel clamped to the rotors), especially the option where I can do it without pulling the wheels!

My only questions is if the toe-in should be different than the standard 1/16- 1/8", which I have been measuring at the tire diameter. These tools seem to all be about 24", so is the toe-in still 1/16- 1/8"?

My only questions is if the toe-in should be different than the standard 1/16- 1/8", which I have been measuring at the tire diameter. These tools seem to all be about 24", so is the toe-in still 1/16- 1/8"?
See post #10 above.
How are you going to use a 24" tool without removing the tires?

It can be done, but you need a set of 36" tools with accurate standoffs from the wheels. I haven't seen any for sale. Making your own would require some pretty good precision.

Some people lay their 36" square tube across the tires, but measuring against air-filled flexy rubber bladders with bumpy surfaces just seems nuts to me. Even measuring to a point on the tread can't be terribly accurate or repeatable.

It can be done, but you need a set of 36" tools with accurate standoffs from the wheels. I haven't seen any for sale. Making your own would require some pretty good precision.

Some people lay their 36" square tube across the tires, but measuring against air-filled flexy rubber bladders with bumpy surfaces just seems nuts to me. Even measuring to a point on the tread can't be terribly accurate or repeatable.

I agree, I will just keep doing what I have always done as outlined by Jerry's posts!