New alternator before winch?

Phillip

I'm currently researching and getting ready to purchase a winch for my jeep. It's a bone stock 2001 with the 4.0 and automatic. Is there any need to upgrade to a higher output alternator or run a dual battery setup in order to power the winch and not hurt anything else? I would like to add more lights later on if it makes a difference. The jeep is my daily driver and won't see much as far as hard trails or recoveries, more of a just in case type situation.

I'm currently researching and getting ready to purchase a winch for my jeep. It's a bone stock 2001 with the 4.0 and automatic. Is there any need to upgrade to a higher output alternator or run a dual battery setup in order to power the winch and not hurt anything else? I would like to add more lights later on if it makes a difference. The jeep is my daily driver and won't see much as far as hard trails or recoveries, more of a just in case type situation.

No, your alternator and battery (assuming the battery isn't 10 years old) will be just fine to power a winch. In addition to that, if you're like most of us the lights you'll be adding are LED lights which don't require nearly as much power as a standard halogen bulb.

That being said, you'll be just fine with your stock setup. I use my stock setup for a winch and LED lights and it has yet to fail me.

Reactions: Phillip
If the alternator goes out replace it with the 160 off a Dodge Durango. Not before! You're fine with stock.

Reactions: Chris
I believe the hard tops came with a 130amp alternator.
Most TJs came with a 117 amp alternator, especially those with any packages or A/C, and the balance of very base level stripped down models came with an 84 amp.

And the stock 117 amp alternator your TJ came with is more than up to a winch. That's all I've ever run with lots of winching on my TJ. Keep in mind that no alternator installable in a TJ can keep up with a fully loaded winch which can draw over 400 amps, most of the power is provided by the battery. So just make sure you're running a good heavy duty battery with 750-800 CCA rating. An AGM style battery would be a great choice since they're more rugged and better suited for the uses a Jeep commonly sees. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Reign Mack
Most TJs came with a 117 amp alternator, especially those with any packages or A/C, and the balance of very base level stripped down models came with an 84 amp.
:)

Thanks for the clarification. I knew my upgrade came from the hard top, but that was a few years ago.

I'll jump in this thread since I have a similar question. What is the best/safest way to hook a winch up to the battery? I've heard using the side post on batteries is not the way to do it so I'm assuming connecting them to the clamps around on the top posts is probably not the best solution either. Anybody have a suggestion?

I'll jump in this thread since I have a similar question. What is the best/safest way to hook a winch up to the battery? I've heard using the side post on batteries is not the way to do it so I'm assuming connecting them to the clamps around on the top posts is probably not the best solution either. Anybody have a suggestion?

I'm curious about this myself since my Warn winch is hooked to the battery.

It depends on the battery, not all side posts are up to providing the amount of current (>400 amps) a winch can draw. Optima's side posts are not, Odyssey's and the (no longer available) Diehard Platinum side posts are. The top posts will always be safe, likely the side posts are too so long as it's good quality and not an Optima battery. :)

Reactions: Chris
Interesting Jerry... I would have though with the money you pay for an Optima they would be!

It depends on the battery, not all side posts are up to providing the amount of current (>400 amps) a winch can draw. Optima's side posts are not, Odyssey's and the (no longer available) Diehard Platinum side posts are. The top posts will always be safe, likely the side posts are too so long as it's good quality and not an Optima battery. :)
Dumb question. How do I attach the cables to the top posts? The ring terminals aren't big enough to fit over the post, so is the bolt (the one used to put tension on the terminal attachment) a safe/adequate place for the winches ring terminals to be?

Interesting Jerry... I would have though with the money you pay for an Optima they would be!
Yep Optima even says in their FAQs or somewhere on their website that attaching a winch will void the warranty. The problem is the internal connector that connects the top post to the side connector isn't heavy enough for the amps a winch can pull.

Dumb question. How do I attach the cables to the top posts? The ring terminals aren't big enough to fit over the post, so is the bolt (the one used to put tension on the terminal attachment) a safe/adequate place for the winches ring terminals to be?
The connector bolt must be adequate, heaven knows how many winches are connected to it. I did myself for a while until I installed a battery with good side connectors.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
The connector bolt must be adequate, heaven knows how many winches are connected to it. I did myself for a while until I installed a battery with good side connectors.
Good to hear. I know just enough to know that I don't want to mess with 400 amps! Guess I'll just wait until this battery dies then go get one with good side terminals.