New alternator woes!

Danny Bass

Just replaced my alternator with one I bought due to the other just going bad. After I installed it, it has a whine, debating on whether the bearings bad in it or is just a new alternator. All checks out good, charging rate is correct. Company says it is just the bearings breaking in. What would you do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just replaced my alternator with one I bought due to the other just going bad. After I installed it, it has a whine, debating on whether the bearings bad in it or is just a new alternator. All checks out good, charging rate is correct. Company says it is just the bearings breaking in. What would you do?

New bearings should not make noise. Since the alternator is easy to get to and remove, I think I would return for another one.
Bearings are made to exact specs . I've never heard of a new alternator bearing needing a 'break in' period

Reactions: firemanast
New bearings should not make noise. Since the alternator is easy to get to and remove, I think I would return for another one.
Bearings are made to exact specs . I've never heard of a new alternator bearing needing a 'break in' period

X2. Bearings don't make noise when they are new, nor should they. I'd take it out and return it for another one.

I am not sure who you talked to, but I don't believe bearings whine during break in. But if your battery is not fully charged and you are expecting your new alternator to do it, that will definitely whine.

Here is my suggestion if you can do it. Park the TJ and put a charger on it overnight. See if it whines the next day. Make sure your battery is fully charged. If it is still whining load test it. If you don't have a load tester than you can usually take it to a shop who will do it for free or even a parts shop can.

I am betting that your battery was taxed by having a bad alternator and your new one is struggling to keep up.

If you have a bad battery, the alternator will make a whining sound as ac stated.

I pulled the alternator out today and returned it for a replacement. I told them I was totally dissatisfied with its performance and the whine. They gave me a replacement, I installed it and the problem went away. Battery shows over 12 VDC and when Jeep running, lights on, over 14 VDC. And no whine. Thanks again for the responses.

I pulled the alternator out today and returned it for a replacement. I told them I was totally dissatisfied with its performance and the whine. They gave me a replacement, I installed it and the problem went away. Battery shows over 12 VDC and when Jeep running, lights on, over 14 VDC. And no whine. Thanks again for the responses.

Glad you were able to get it fixed! Also thanks for the follow-up!