New Bumpers

PirateTJ

Big Island, Hawaii County, HI, United States
Aloha Everyone,
Looking to upgrade both front and rear bumpers, yes one, for looks but most importantly function.
Front end, looking for a bumper to hold and support at least 8000 lb winch. Yes I have read more than a few threads on the pros and cons of brands, Warn M8 wins. But what bumper to support?
Second the rear, only running 32 11.5 and don't plan to go bigger anytime soon, yet at the beach and camping use an exterior rack off the spare tire carrier so the extra support there would help?
Third carry a small trailer at times for yard waste, camping equipment and the other misc fun stuff. Which are tow rated?
Thanks for your input and pics appreciated.

Genright, Savvy, and Motobilt all make great bumpers IMO. All support a winch install.

https://genright.com/shop-by-vehicle/jeep-tj-97-06/bumpers/

IMG_4954.jpg

http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Bumper_c6.htm

IMG_4955.JPG

https://www.motobilt.com/body-armor-bumper/bumpers/jeep-tj-bumpers.html

IMG_4953.jpg

Most the bumpers I like are all designed after rock crawling style and will give you the, "most depature angle."

I dont remember seeing aftermarket bumpers mention tow rating as that wiuld be a huge liablity for a company to assume. But I could be wrong. Others will chime in.

Last edited:
Reactions: tman66
Look into Dirtworx bumpers. The dude builds strong bumpers that do not hurt your wallet. I had one of his rear bumpers 13 years ago and recently saw one on a local jeep.

Oh yeah....made right here in the states if that matters to you.

Reactions: CodaMan
Look into Dirtworx bumpers. The dude builds strong bumpers that do not hurt your wallet. I had one of his rear bumpers 13 years ago and recently saw one on a local jeep.

Oh yeah....made right here in the states if that matters to you.
I have the pair of those on my Rubicon, and they are seriously stout. Robert @ Dirtworx will put whatever you need on the front to accommodate a winch.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I have the pair of those on my Rubicon, and they are seriously stout. Robert @ Dirtworx will put whatever you need on the front to accommodate a winch.
Dirtworx does good bumpers from all the reviews out there. Deff check them out. If you are like me, it will take a lot of looking over and over again to find the bumpers you like for your Jeep.

Guys I am new here and I don't want to start out bashing a product but I just got my first jeep and one of the first things i researched was a a new bumper so I can flat tow behind my truck and camper. I went with the smitty built XRC because it mounts right up to their tow bumper and had good reviews. I put the bumper on yesterday and was disappointed when jsut sitting it on the garage floor it scratched the paint. I was in the garage this morning working on something else when I heard a loud ping and a nut and washer bounced across the floor, it was easy to recognize as I had just put in the smitty bilt supplied bolts. It snapped off just sitting in the garage. I went to the hardware store to get grade 8 replacements and when I got home a second one had already snapped off. Thoroughly disappointed and will not look at anything else smitty built.

image.jpg

Guys I am new here and I don't want to start out bashing a product but I just got my first jeep and one of the first things i researched was a a new bumper so I can flat tow behind my truck and camper. I went with the smitty built XRC because it mounts right up to their tow bumper and had good reviews. I put the bumper on yesterday and was disappointed when jsut sitting it on the garage floor it scratched the paint. I was in the garage this morning working on something else when I heard a loud ping and a nut and washer bounced across the floor, it was easy to recognize as I had just put in the smitty bilt supplied bolts. It snapped off just sitting in the garage. I went to the hardware store to get grade 8 replacements and when I got home a second one had already snapped off. Thoroughly disappointed and will not look at anything else smitty built.

you and everyone else haha, sorry you had to learn the hard way. I still have the bumper mounts and air brake hookup off my lj that was flat towed if you want them. attaches to any setup including stock bumper

you and everyone else haha, sorry you had to learn the hard way. I still have the bumper mounts and air brake hookup off my lj that was flat towed if you want them. attaches to any setup including stock bumper
Dang, thanks but I just ordered the air break set up by M&G, should be here this week.

Reactions: dylansalrin
This also happens to me. My first bolt fly out on the middle of downtown CLE, you can imagine my face...
My stepson install mine bumper as a birthday surprise but he did not notice the bumper mount are is 3/16" wider than the frame. Pulling tension is a key on any hardware. We get all grade 8 and put a thick flat washer on the bottom side between bumper and frame. Issue fix. We have been abusing from this bumper especially pulling others jeeps using the shackle points during the last months and no issue whatsoever.
I do respect your point and your decision. Just be aware that mostly everything you get for out TJ 's comes with inferior hardware.

Reactions: StG58 and DWLJ
I like my genright front bumper
image3-2.jpg

I don't usually run a rear bumper, but have been looking at the dirtworx rear because it has a similar profile to the front I already have

I also have a metalcloak on the YJ that I like since you can build it up as fancy or as plain as you like
image2-2_zps68427bea.jpg

Reactions: Chris S and Chris
Based on this thread, I have sent an inquiry to Dirtyworks for a back bumper. They seem reasonable, and look heavy duty. Also have loops for safety chains so probably have a decent tow rating. Probably cost too much to ship, but worth an ask! Best back bumper I have see so far.

Based on this thread, I have sent an inquiry to Dirtyworks for a back bumper. They seem reasonable, and look heavy duty. Also have loops for safety chains so probably have a decent tow rating. Probably cost too much to ship, but worth an ask! Best back bumper I have see so far.

When I asked, he said $80 to ship a bumper from Cali to Texas.... so it is still pretty reasonable. I think another thing to consider is protecting/painting the bumper because it comes bare steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
When I asked, he said $80 to ship a bumper from Cali to Texas.... so it is still pretty reasonable. I think another thing to consider is protecting/painting the bumper because it comes bare steel.

I like to use Duplicolor's spray on bedliner for finishing that kind of stuff. it's pretty tough, easy to fix, and it looks good

Reactions: JMT
I flat tow my jeep behind my coach, and no way in heck would I depend on a Smittybilt bumper to keep my shit connected.
I use one and have towed mine several times including to Idaho and back without issue. Having more knowledge now I would buy something else, most likely Dirtworx, but it gets the job done.

Reactions: bobthetj03

When I was wanting to get a rear bumper, and asked the same thing - how much to ship to ABQ...only thing was, it cost the same to ship two bumpers as one. That's why I got both front & rear.

Reactions: Rob5589
When I was wanting to get a rear bumper, and asked the same thing - how much to ship to ABQ...only thing was, it cost the same to ship two bumpers as one. That's why I got both front & rear.

Yup, that's my plan. Have both front and back shipped to my shop in TX, get them painted, and then have them installed. I'm not super confident about dropping the gas tank and drilling the tub myself because I'm going to get the one that holds gas cans, so I'd rather just let them do the whole project. It makes it a more expensive project unfortunately, but I get to support a local business.