New distributor?

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
I haven’t had a lick of problems with my 98 TJ and all of a sudden out of the blue while driving down an on ramp to the freeway, I just lost power. Like I lost 3 cylinders. Smelled super lean all of a sudden. I couldn’t keep it driving but I could keep it running by feathering the gas. So there I was on the side of the freeway sputtering and it wouldn’t drive. I could keep it running but wouldn’t idle. No check engine light. When I feather the gas it seemed to only run on like three cylinders out of 6.

I finally decided I was going to try and drive it off of the freeway at least so of course I started it and feathered it and killed it multiple times. Then all of a sudden it started working again. I drove it back Fine except for one little sputter on the way home.

I took my own advice and pulled the plugs and they are all clean and brand new. So I started googling and based on my symptoms and what I have read is to check fuel pressure and the distributor. I have a gauge on the way, but I am stuck at the distributor.

I have been looking and the prices are all over the place and I cannot find a mopar one. This is where you come in. What is an awesome brand of distributor.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like the part number for the factory distributor is 56041034AB, which is no longer made by Mopar.

At that point I guess you really are at the mercy of the Chinese. This one seems to have enough good reviews to make me consider it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVBNZXQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I'm assuming you're looking for the entire assembly and not just the distributor cap?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes on the whole distributor. I am basing on different threads I read here. I am still not positive what it was, but near as I can tell it was something with the distributer.

It is running fine now though. I have been driving it around now around town and short distances to see if it acts up again. It has been as good as it has been before this issue. It must have thrown some sort of tantrum, and got over whatever it was pissed about.

I did buy a fuel pressure gauge, and am going to buy one to run permanently on the rail too just in case this happens again, I can't tell if is fuel related or spark related. It is all working now so I can't even really test anything. It was pretty scary. I wish it was something that broke, so I could just fix it and be done, but now I have to worry a little.

Reactions: Chris
I hear ya. I hate when things are sort of half way between working and breaking. It's much easier when something just breaks completely, because at least that way there is no question about what it is!

That also stinks that Mopar no longer manufacturers the distributor. What a bummer!

Like you I really like to use the OME parts when possible,l but the great thing about this site and amazon is hearing about other peoples experiences with the products, so even though it may not be OME we can tell what is good and what is bad, but in this distributor case. I haven't really found anything profound yet other than a new distributor fixed their problem, but nothing about what distributer it was that fixed it, and if it fixed it forever.

I would almost prefer to find a used Mopar one, but to find one with low miles will probably be hard and I don't want to change mine with another high mileage one, so I added the one you posted to my "wish list" but will continue to drive to see if it is actually the issue. Still more processes of elimination is necessary, before throwing parts at it.

Yep, I hear you. I wouldn't throw parts at it unless I did the process of elimination first. I hear you on the OEM parts too. When it comes to important stuff, I always like to use OEM. However, as with any vehicle that is over 10 years old, I guess we have to start accepting the fact that OEM parts are going to be getting very scarce (they already are). We're going to be at the mercy of the Chinese soon!

I am having the same issue with my 99 TJ. Starts fine you cruise down the road for about a mile then it acts like it’s gonna puke! Spit sputter buck and snort. I try shifting down to a lower gear and rev it a little and that helps but as soon as the clutch releases it continues it’s little spell. This will go on for a minute or two then it goes right back to being normal as if nothing ever happened. I tried fuel injector cleaner and put new wires on also. I guess I’ll try the distributor next? Any other ideas?

I am having the same issue with my 99 TJ. Starts fine you cruise down the road for about a mile then it acts like it’s gonna puke! Spit sputter buck and snort. I try shifting down to a lower gear and rev it a little and that helps but as soon as the clutch releases it continues it’s little spell. This will go on for a minute or two then it goes right back to being normal as if nothing ever happened. I tried fuel injector cleaner and put new wires on also. I guess I’ll try the distributor next? Any other ideas?

It sounds exactly like my problem. Mine runs like a top then one day entering the freeway the car just lost power and sputtered and puked and backfired, and I could keep it running by feathering the gas a little but it wouldn't idle or go over about 1500RMS It was 100 degrees and cars were whizzing by me so I decided to try and limp it off of the freeway then low and behold it started running like a top again, so I drove it home. It sputtered a couple more times after that on the way home, but hasn't been a problem since. It didn't throw any codes. I came here and searched around and the closest I could find to the same issue was fixed by a distributer.

I haven't replaced mine yet, but I do have in on my amazon wish list just in case. I also ordered a fuel pressure gauge to run on the rail so I can see what the fuel is doing if it ever happens again.

Good luck and keep us posted.

So, would a remanufactured distributor be something you'd consider? I found the following on rockauto.com (I have had extremely good results with products purchased through them both in price and quality). Here's Autoline's Remanufactured Dizzy description:

• All AutoLine Distributors are precision remanufactured using original equipment castings. All castings are completely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned using industrial compounds and equipment.
  • All components such as gears, breaker plates and shafts are cleaned and inspected prior to our assembly process. Drive gear’s, couplers and fasteners are graphite finished. Breaker plates are disassembled and all worn components are replaced.
  • Housings are sandblasted to restore factory finish and shaft assemblies are cleaned and polished. Housings are inspected to ensure mounting flanges, cap locators and threads are acceptable. Shafts that are damaged are spray welded and machined or discarded. Advance weights, pins and springs are inspected and replaced if worn.
  • Vacuum advance assemblies are disassembled, re-plated and have new diaphragms installed. Advance specifications are identified during this process.
  • New bushings are aligned and installed in housings prior to shaft installation.
  • Modules and wiring harnesses are supplied with most electronic application’s, and points and condensers are included with all standard ignition applications. All modules are stress tested prior to installation.
  • All distributors are completely bench tested after assembly, throughout all R.P.M. ranges. Mechanical, vacuum and electronic advance curves are checked during testing. Dwell settings are performed on point type applications.
  • Distributors are supplied with new caps and rotors, when needed, as well as installation instructions and technical bulletins, where applicable.
Sounds like they start with factory distributors for remanufacturing. No import casings. I'd be inclined to consider this as an option. In fact, I have a busted screw in mine (from the cap). If I can't remove it successfully, I'm considering this option as opposed to just throwing in another used unit. Just a thought...

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
I would consider anything I could get. I was actually looking for suggestions from people that have had good luck with replacing their distributors. If you actually found a place that remans OEM cases. I would especially be interested in that.

Why would you replace the whole distributor and not just the cap/rotor? I have a very similar issue and am working towards a resolution.

Because I read another thread on here where the guy sounded like he had the same exact issues as me and he replaced the distributer and it fixed it. I think he may have mentioned a crack in the case maybe? I am pretty sure my problem isn't in the cap and rotor as it it is very intermittent in fact it only happened the one time so far but it took me down to a stop on the freeway and has been fine ever since.

digging up an old thread here...looking for a replacement distributor. Mine is in perfectly fine shape mechanically, very little side to side play, but one of the distributor cap screws broke off and I can't get it out. Days of soaking in penetrant, torch heat, ground off two sides to make them flat, and clamped with my vice grips as tight as I can muster and it's not budging.

I got a used one on eBay that supposedly had similar mileage, but it had a ton of side to side play in the upper shaft and I just don't feel good about putting it on, so I'm returning it.

Since I can't check play before purchase on a used one and the local jeep recycler has shut their "showroom" under COVID-19, I feel like I'm just gonna have to go new or reman. Reviews for Autoline as @Squatch suggested above are so far nearly impossible to find for distributors, though I did find positive reviews on their carbs on an AMC forum.

Rockauto also has new units from SKP, Spectra Premium, and World Power Systems. Don't know anything about any of them except they appear to all be made in China, while Autoline remans in Canada.

Last edited:

Not contacted, just perused their websites. Nothing showing up, though I understand a place like that probably doesn't list every single part in their inventory. Still, no confidence that I'll end up with anything matching mine since I don't have any experience with these places to suggest they spin the shaft or pull the cap and check for play.

There's a ton of them on there, but I have zero confidence in buying used that I'll get anything as fresh as mine (115k miles). The ebay one came from a recycler with 14k reviews effectively 100% positive and it's trash. Carparts rating system gives anything an A if it has less than 15k miles per year.... That's 315k now.

So I'm in this irritating situation where I have to choose between getting a reman that gets me going but might fail in a couple years, or play musical distributors for weeks until I get one that isn't worn out.

So I'm in this irritating situation where I have to choose between getting a reman that gets me going but might fail in a couple years, or play musical distributors for weeks until I get one that isn't worn out.

That's a crappy situation to be in.

Maybe I missed it, but have you looked at the possibility of having your stock unit rebuilt?

That's a crappy situation to be in.

Maybe I missed it, but have you looked at the possibility of having your stock unit rebuilt?

The only thing wrong with my stock one is the distributor cap screw that broke off. I would gladly use it if I could get the screw out, but I've done everything in my abilities short of drilling it out, which has never been something I've been lucky with but at this point I don't have much to lose for trying. Just wish I had a drill press to keep things straight.

Unless you're talking about rebuilding the one I got on ebay... Haven't put much thought into that. I don't have a press so doing it myself is out.

The only thing wrong with my stock one is the distributor cap screw that broke off. I would gladly use it if I could get the screw out, but I've done everything in my abilities short of drilling it out, which has never been something I've been lucky with but at this point I don't have much to lose for trying. Just wish I had a drill press to keep things straight.

Bummer. Perhaps find a used Mopar one and have that one rebuilt?

I suppose you could go to Autozone and buy whatever they have on the shelf, knowing it would only last 2-3 years before you have to replace it. However, if it has a lifetime warranty option, that may be the next best thing.

Bummer. Perhaps find a used Mopar one and have that one rebuilt?

I suppose you could go to Autozone and buy whatever they have on the shelf, knowing it would only last 2-3 years before you have to replace it. However, if it has a lifetime warranty option, that may be the next best thing.

That's actually what led me down the autoline idea, supposedly they reman with only OEM distributors so as long as they know what they're doing I'm not sure why it should be any different than a Mopar I had rebuilt by any Tom, Dick, or Harry. It's a family owned business with a 50k sf factory and 80 employees in Winnipeg so I feel like there's some hope they haven't been bitten by the corporate cost cutting bug. I just really wish I could find some reviews.