New Eaton E-Locker Design

Speny999

I'm looking for a locker for my open diff TJ so I was looking at the eaton website for their elocker and noticed that there seems to be a new design that works more like an ARB or OX. I don't like the design that uses the rotation of the carrier, I wheel a lot in the snow and with a manual so I tend to rock back and forth.

The "new design" (see below) looks to have a locking plate that locks the right sider gear to the right half of the case, so when you reverse it shouldn't unlock like the design that uses the ramps to engage the side gear. The only thing is, aside from the video on the website i cannot find any description of this locker and it is kinda vague at best. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 9.59.21 AM.png

The description of my E-Locker is that all models lock one side gear to a side of the differential case.

I meant that they are both seeming to be dana 44 lockers but there is no description to differentiate between the two models.

This is what i thought the elocker4 was a ramp on the carrier pushes the locking plate into place as the carrier rotates, Harrop has a video on youtube that shows it in action quite well.
download.jpeg

In the original post image i don't see the ramp plate which is why i feel this may be a new design

The lack of the ramp got my attention too. If I recall that video, there is mention of a redesign to the ramping mechanism, but I don't see that in the exploded diagram either.

Ok, they mention the newer technology. That video was 2016, so anyone after that for sure got a setup like the one in the video unless they got some old stock with ramps. It looks to me like there is no interruption in the locking mechanism going from forward to reverse in the video. In other words, it stays locked with this model. The six or so inches (about 1/16-1/8 turn of the carrier seems inconsequential. I've never noticed any unlocking when I changed from forward to reverse with my e-locker (installed in Feb 2019). No jolts, no sounds at all. In fact, when I lock it I am always under 5mph and it is silent but obviously locked thereafter.
QK26I3hrSnKPgd6sP9EeCQ.jpg

3Wb%e3kxS8GjF1nMf61ZVQ.jpg

c5Jz0v9nSEaNsJzfDNpjtA.jpg

tw4zhRHWTCqSm7pdMpNF+g.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Per live chat with Eaton:
So for the thick gear you would need the 19977 and for the other you need a 3.92 and up unit 19969-010

this is for dana 44's

Reactions: Chris
Per live chat with Eaton:
So for the thick gear you would need the 19977 and for the other you need a 3.92 and up unit 19969-010

this is for dana 44's

This is good to know! I went with a thick cut gear cause I wanted to keep my Traclok carrier, so good to know I don't have to change the ring/pinion gears to get the locker.

Doesn’t seem to be much information on exactly how the mechanism operates on the newer 4 pinion design. Figured I would bump this see if anyone had Any insight to exactly how the new locker operates. Seems that it does not unlock then relock when changing directions. Very interested as a new locker looks to be in my near future.

Reactions: jjvw
The two pinion design of the original Eaton locker is why I went with OX. Ox can also be triggered electrically so I wasn't too concerned. It will be interesting to see how the new Eaton does in the future.
It's good to hear that the direction switching locking isn't noticable! Maybe I'll install one when I go to replace my front end.

It's good to hear that the direction switching locking isn't noticable! Maybe I'll install one when I go to replace my front end.

Do we know that the directional unlock was noticable in the past? Don't auto lockers like the Detroit also unlock with a direction change?

Do we know that the directional unlock was noticable in the past? Don't auto lockers like the Detroit also unlock with a direction change?
The major concern in my choice was less about it being noticable, more about slamming the two spider gears when switching directions. I blew up the two in my stock differential without it being locked and I didn't really trust two to take the slamming of a lock and unlock.
I had seen some threads about it being noticable and blowing up the spider gears.

it looks very similar to the method of locking on a JK44 rubicon electronic locker.

The major concern in my choice was less about it being noticable, more about slamming the two spider gears when switching directions. I blew up the two in my stock differential without it being locked and I didn't really trust two to take the slamming of a lock and unlock.
I had seen some threads about it being noticable and blowing up the spider gears.
So which selectable locker is best for not noticing lag when moving forward or backward . Would it be ox then ?