New Engine For 98 TJ

OnyxTJ

I have a 4 cylinder TJ on a 4" lift & 33" tires.
I've been thinking about a V6 with a super charger because I don't want the weight of a V8.
I also have plans to upgrade the axles so I can run larger tires so the new engine would have to work well with future upgrades.
I'd like this Jeep to work well on and off road.
Engine Advice?

I have a 4 cylinder TJ on a 4" lift & 33" tires.
I've been thinking about a V6 with a super charger because I don't want the weight of a V8.
I also have plans to upgrade the axles so I can run larger tires so the new engine would have to work well with future upgrades.
I'd like this Jeep to work well on and off road.
Engine Advice?
Welcome to the forum..ultimately its your jeep but I would go LS before a V6..the weight difference would be negligible. You can upgrade your current axles to work fine. I would recommend spending time researching and looking through the build section to get information and ideas.

+1 on the LS V8, you want something with a lot of aftermarket support that can be easily modded and swapped in.

Reactions: P man
Here are some weights for you.

Chevy V6-90 229, 4.3425
LS460
Chevy small block V8575
Dodge magnum V8 525

Now since you have a 98 TJ the easiest engine to swap into it is the Dodge magnum either a 5.2 or 5.9. The wiring harness is easier to blend and the PCM talks to your stock dash.

Just curious what V-6 are you thinking about that has a supercharger? Or are you planning on adding a supercharger? And why do you want to swap out the 2.5?

And yes I agree the LS or any Chevy engine has more aftermarket support than other engines but that doesn't mean they are the only choice for a swap.

whats the easiest V8 to swap into an 04 ........electronically? or are they all pretty much the same?

whats the easiest V8 to swap into an 04 ........electronically? or are they all pretty much the same?
Since Dodge stopped offering the magnum in 03 if you're trying to stay Mopar then a Hemi. But depending on prices it might work out cheaper to swap in a LS at that point. There are work arounds to getting the LS to talk to your stock dash it just isn't as easy as the magnum. A hemi will also PCM will also talk to the stock dash but it's the cost of the wiring harness plus the cost of the engine that makes most not go that route.

And to the OP, have you looked at the diesel swaps?

Did you regear your axles for the 33" tires you have now? If you are thinking your TJ is a pig a lot of that is due to tire size if you haven't gone to 4.88 or 5.13 gears. I have a 97 TJ that had 33" tires on it when I bought it and stock gears. Back then the lowest offered were 4.88 gears. Once I did that I could use 5th gear again but 5.13 gears would have been nicer.

Since Dodge stopped offering the magnum in 03 if you're trying to stay Mopar then a Hemi. But depending on prices it might work out cheaper to swap in a LS at that point. There are work arounds to getting the LS to talk to your stock dash it just isn't as easy as the magnum. A hemi will also PCM will also talk to the stock dash but it's the cost of the wiring harness plus the cost of the engine that makes most not go that route.

And to the OP, have you looked at the diesel swaps?

Did you regear your axles for the 33" tires you have now? If you are thinking your TJ is a pig a lot of that is due to tire size if you haven't gone to 4.88 or 5.13 gears. I have a 97 TJ that had 33" tires on it when I bought it and stock gears. Back then the lowest offered were 4.88 gears. Once I did that I could use 5th gear again but 5.13 gears would have been nicer.
Or you could do like me and plan on getting rid of the stock dash and use an aftermarket display for engine info.

Can’t say how easy it is at this point. Maybe next year.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
Or you could do like me and plan on getting rid of the stock dash and use an aftermarket display for engine info.

Can’t say how easy it is at this point. Maybe next year.

Yes you can swap in aftermarket gauges but that is ADDED money for the swap. Even a cheap set of gauges cost?? I haven't looked lately but if you go Auto Meter or other name brand it's $800 ++.

Reactions: Apparition
Yes you can swap in aftermarket gauges but that is ADDED money for the swap. Even a cheap set of gauges cost?? I haven't looked lately but if you go Auto Meter or other name brand it's $800 ++.
No gauges, complete digital display. Costs more than $800, but I heard easy not cheap.

No gauges, complete digital display. Costs more than $800, but I heard easy not cheap.

My point exactly. Sure, it might be easier to hook up?? I don't know about that as it's pretty easy to hook up aftermarket analog gauges. But your digital display is still gauges just in a different way. If you're trying for the stealth look and want stock gauges the easiest way is to stay Mopar. There is also the digital gauges from Intellitronix that cost $436 MSRP but can be found cheaper.

https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/jeep-97-06-tj-led-digital-gauge-panel
1997-2003 run a Dodge magnum V-8
2004-2006 run a Hemi.

Again, there are other great swap options and I am not against them either but it was asked for the easiest and that is to stay Mopar.

Reactions: someguysjeep
My point exactly. Sure, it might be easier to hook up?? I don't know about that as it's pretty easy to hook up aftermarket analog gauges. But your digital display is still gauges just in a different way. If you're trying for the stealth look and want stock gauges the easiest way is to stay Mopar. There is also the digital gauges from Intellitronix that cost $436 MSRP but can be found cheaper.

https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/jeep-97-06-tj-led-digital-gauge-panel
2004-2006 run a Hemi.

Again, there are other great swap options and I am not against them either but it was asked for the easiest and that is to stay Mopar.
i used to be able to do motor and trans swaps in a day..... few bolts, a few wires a couple hoses and your good. this new stuff is all about the wires and the computer.

is it necessary to have the donors PCM and harness? a motor and trans is noting i can handle that easily, it's sittin down with a tangled mess tryin to figure out what goes where and what to cut and where to splice that will plex me.

2004-2006 run a Hemi.

No wiring, just plug into the OBD2 port in the LS harness. All info for the display is pulled from that. Plus my goal is to get rid of all the jeep computers and as much harness as possible.

Now if I want the turn signals to show up on the display then I'll have to hook up those wires.

i used to be able to do motor and trans swaps in a day..... few bolts, a few wires a couple hoses and your good. this new stuff is all about the wires and the computer.

is it necessary to have the donors PCM and harness? a motor and trans is noting i can handle that easily, it's sittin down with a tangled mess tryin to figure out what goes where and what to cut and where to splice that will plex me.
Nope not anymore. If you want to keep the stock dash you have to run both PCM's if you go none Mopar.

No wiring, just plug into the OBD2 port in the LS harness. All info for the display is pulled from that. Plus my goal is to get rid of all the jeep computers and as much harness as possible.

Now if I want the turn signals to show up on the display then I'll have to hook up those wires.
That's cheating.

Here are some weights for you.

Chevy V6-90 229, 4.3425
LS460
Chevy small block V8575
Dodge magnum V8 525

Now since you have a 98 TJ the easiest engine to swap into it is the Dodge magnum either a 5.2 or 5.9. The wiring harness is easier to blend and the PCM talks to your stock dash.

Just curious what V-6 are you thinking about that has a supercharger? Or are you planning on adding a supercharger? And why do you want to swap out the 2.5?

And yes I agree the LS or any Chevy engine has more aftermarket support than other engines but that doesn't mean they are the only choice for a swap.
You forgot one, Rick:

Hemi: 128 pounds

🙂

You forgot one, Rick:

Hemi: 128 pounds

🙂
Damn which Hemi is that? Here's what I found.

Engine: Chrysler 5.7L Hemi V-8
Engine Weight: ~ 500 lbs
Peak Horsepower: 2003 – 2008 Ram 1500/2500/3500 345 hp @ 5,600 rpm
2009 – 2012 Ram 1500 390 hp @ 5,600 rpm
2013 – current Ram 2500/3500 383 hp @ 5,600 rpm

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Damn which Hemi is that? Here's what I found.

Engine: Chrysler 5.7L Hemi V-8
Engine Weight: ~ 500 lbs
Peak Horsepower: 2003 – 2008 Ram 1500/2500/3500 345 hp @ 5,600 rpm
2009 – 2012 Ram 1500 390 hp @ 5,600 rpm
2013 – current Ram 2500/3500 383 hp @ 5,600 rpm
Yup - The Eagle heads in 2009 was the difference.

Reactions: Wildman
an older hemi popped up today w/ NAG 1 trans for 750$, not 30 miles away. has the computers but doesn't know the mileage.

man i wish these things were easier to bench test.

an older hemi popped up today w/ NAG 1 trans for 750$, not 30 miles away. has the computers but doesn't know the mileage.

man i wish these things were easier to bench test.

Shit for that price I think I'd have to buy it. But I only paid $50 for my core engine that started this whole thing.

Reactions: someguysjeep