New engine looks different in certain places. What do I do?

Mustard

I just purchased another inline 6 for mustard and after waiting so long its at the shop. The mechanic called me in after getting ready to put in and said there are differences. What are my options here. I really need to get baby back on the road. Can this work or do I need to get the exact one.

20230126_141316.jpg

20230126_141333.jpg

20230126_141335.jpg

I'd be more concerned about how gross it is. Those cylinder walls are spent.

Reactions: Daryl
Looks like a '97-'99 block. I'm guessing yours is newer. You may have to swap some parts.

Reactions: Jamison C
Your profile is blank, so we don't know what year your TJ is.

Did you order the wrong year, your mechanic, or did the wrecking yard just send one that 'fits'?

Only certain yrs are interchangeable. There's a listing somewhere that tells which ones work in which yrs. Probably under resources.

The one with the downturned oil filter is like the one in my YJ, the other one is like the one in my 06 TJ.

Reactions: tr21triton
Should have asked us questions before just buying a random engine.

Also, I agree with @Jezza, that engine looks to be in poor condition.

@mrblaine knows all the ins-and-outs of what you'll need to do to get that 4.0 into your TJ. You would have made things a lot easier if you'd bought a replacement engine from the same year and make as your TJ though.

Reactions: tr21triton
I'd be more concerned about how gross it is. Those cylinder walls are spent.

Correct, if you read the message, i ordered a new one to replace the original block. In fact, the block only looks like that due to the mechanics leaving it out in the rain waiting for the new one to come in.

Looks like a '97-'99 block. I'm guessing yours is newer. You may have to swap some parts.

I wad thinking the same. Mustard is a 2000 jeep 4.0l auto. The shop I purchased the replacement said it will fit. But when it got here, it looked different. I check and all but I guess they have to be the exact same?

Only certain yrs are interchangeable. There's a listing somewhere that tells which ones work in which yrs. Probably under resources.

The one with the downturned oil filter is like the one in my YJ, the other one is like the one in my 06 TJ.

Nice thanks....This seems very possible. Interesting! Thanks for this. I'm contacting them now to see if they can exchange for one that fits or pay the difference. Good thing I spent my investments on a certified seller that has inventory.

Correct, if you read the message, i ordered a new one to replace the original block. In fact, the block only looks like that due to the mechanics leaving it out in the rain waiting for the new one to come in.

Oh, I guess I don't understand. So, is the engine in the pictures the new one you are putting in, or the old one coming out?

Should have asked us questions before just buying a random engine.

Also, I agree with @Jezza, that engine looks to be in poor condition.

@mrblaine knows all the ins-and-outs of what you'll need to do to get that 4.0 into your TJ. You would have made things a lot easier if you'd bought a replacement engine from the same year and make as your TJ though.

As a 32year old man, I like to make my own educated decisions and then converse with a like minded community for possible alternatives. As I did some research and chosen the engine at hand, It said it would fit when putting in my Vin number. Therefore, to ones knowledge, it was a high possibility it would've mounted. However, life has its turn and we must adjust.

Also like mentioned to the previous guy. That engine was in fact rebuild but the mechanic putting it back together messed something up and we are replacing it. During the process of taking the old engine out, it got rained on, hence the new rust on wall edges.

Thanks for addressing the obvious and I look forward for more positive and/or competent comments. Thanks

Oh, I guess I don't understand. So, is the engine in the pictures the new one you are putting in, or the old one coming out?

The one that says my auto store is the one that is to go in. The two photos that says "original block" is the old that came out.

The mechanic was sizing up the engines and mounts they had.

I wad thinking the same. Mustard is a 2000 jeep 4.0l auto. The shop I purchased the replacement said it will fit. But when it got here, it looked different. I check and all but I guess they have to be the exact same?

Post up the build date. The original looks to be a 99 and earlier. While you can make it all work, if you don't have access to the complete later motor including the full accessory drive, it is not going to be fun if that is what is going on.

Reactions: Jezza and Chris
The one that says my auto store is the one that is to go in. The two photos that says "original block" is the old that came out.

Okay, I see it now. It's two different engines. If you have a 2000 the block in the top picture should work.

If your original did not have the automatic tensioner, that means it is the early one. The thing that is gonna kick your ass is they swapped sides with the AC compressor and alternator. That requires a whole bunch of shenanigans I would never pay a shop to do unless they had the complete later motor with accessory drive sitting there. Or a complete donor rig so they can see how everything goes. It is however, very doable, just not cheaply.

Okay, I see it now. It's two different engines. If you have a 2000 the block in the top picture should work.

I think he is saying one of them is his old one and one is the new to him new one they are trying to swap in. Not gonna be fun.

He is calling his a 2000. I suspect that is incorrect somehow. The automatic belt tensioner started in 2000 unless there is a split year we've never seen.

I think he is saying one of them is his old one and one is the new to him new one they are trying to swap in. Not gonna be fun.

He is calling his a 2000. I suspect that is incorrect somehow. The automatic belt tensioner started in 2000 unless there is a split year we've never seen.

Here's my Vin 1J4FA49S71P371663