New family member

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Well, did it this weekend! Hope it turns out well...

The wife has been marginally satisfied with her Saab 9-3 for the last year or so. Fun car for her to drive, but it's small and she didn't feel particularly safe driving it around in traffic or in inclement weather. After our Costco trip on Saturday, she said that she wanted to go look at Jeeps, just for giggles. We tool on up to the Jeep Dealership just as it's getting dark. Wander the lot and lo and behold, there is a 2012 JKU in Cherry Red, half doors and a soft top. Now, when the the JKU's first came out, there was a Rubicon she looked at that was set up this way. She's always regretted not getting that Jeep. Rock Red whatever paint, but close to Cherry red. Anyway, we now have two Wranglers in the family, and I have to figure out what is up with JKU's.

Reactions: Serbonze and Chris
That's awesome man! How much did you get ti for? I'm assuming it's not a Rubicon model?

Cool choice of color, I love red Wranglers!! Please tell me it doesn't have leather seats lol. I sat in a friend's brand-new JK a few months ago and the aroma of his leather seats had me drunk with envy in seconds. :love:

You're in luck Jerry, it has the cloth seats. I like the material though. It's a synthetic cloth that should hold up well to normal Jeep abuse and grandkids.

That's awesome man! How much did you get ti for? I'm assuming it's not a Rubicon model?

Rather not say, Chris. I took a bath on it, but it was exactly what the wife wanted. She originally thought that all Unlimiteds were Rubicons. Took me years to get that straightened out in her head. She thought she wanted a Rubicon, but what she wanted was an Unlimited. Huge price difference there. It's a Sport, though it had Sahara stickers on it. (removed) It also had a ton of chrome stick on covers. (removed) Really shiny, ugly wheels with pretty decent Toyo AT tires in 265/70R17. Those are going away once I find some good take offs. It's a 2012 with 20,000 miles. No rust, anywhere. No scratches, dents, dirt, stains or signs of use and wear. Basically a four year old, new JKU.

The wife had me out in the rain at 9:30 at night pulling the chrome bits and stickers off this thing. At least she held the light for me. Those new portable flood lights work great, by the way.

The Dealership had two (!) new JK's on the lot and only three used ones, including this one. The next shipment of new Jeeps come in the middle of next week. I guess they are getting five new Wranglers in on that one.

BTW... Is she going to mod this JKU?

We'll see. Wheels and tires for sure. Now to figure out what fits...and what it needs. Oh, by the way. This thing is almost as wide, and almost as tall at the Suburban. It's HUGE! I hope it works out for us.

Reactions: Chris and Serbonze
I've looked at JKs. For a 2012 around these parts you won't pay any less than 30k. Still, they hold their value so that's always a huge plus.

Pics??!?! :mad::mad::mad:;):p

I don't have any yet, sorry. I've only ever seen it in the dark and in the rain. There coming though. I just realized that we have three rigs. All legitimate 4x4's. One's red, one's white, and one's blue.

I've looked at JKs. For a 2012 around these parts you won't pay any less than 30k. Still, they hold their value so that's always a huge plus.
That's what this one went out the door for. 31k.

Congrats Mrs. StG58. Sounds like a great start to her addiction :D

Thanks, I had to buy her a Kimber to keep her hands off of my Colt custom shop Gold Cup. Now I've had to buy her a JKU to keep her hands off my TJ. After 35 years, I know how it works and don't put up much of a fight any more. :)

Pics??!?! :mad::mad::mad:;):p

Just for @Serbonze ...

JK.jpg

Great color!
Thanks. The wife loves that color. Probably the only reason she wanted this particular one is the color and the four half doors.

Got the build sheet for it today. It's a Sport with a few amenities upgrades. At least it has the Dana 44 out back, so there's that. 3.21 ratio though.

Still can't get over how BIG this thing is. Build it, and it's going to be as big as the Suburban. As long as the wife likes it, and it keeps her hands off of my TJ, it's all good.

Reactions: Serbonze
I didn't even notice it had half doors until you mentioned it, that's very cool!

Dana 44 is a huge plus, 3.21, not so much!

The JKUs are huge, no doubt. I suppose that's why people say they're like a Rolls Royce off-road. They are incredibly good off-road even in stock form (much better than the TJ stock vs. stock), but they definitely won't go as many places as a small TJ will!

They both have their purpose. I'd love to buy a JKU Rubicon for long road trips with the family. It couldn't replace the TJ though for sheer off-road fun!

Reactions: StG58
I didn't even notice it had half doors until you mentioned it, that's very cool!

Dana 44 is a huge plus, 3.21, not so much!

The JKUs are huge, no doubt. I suppose that's why people say they're like a Rolls Royce off-road. They are incredibly good off-road even in stock form (much better than the TJ stock vs. stock), but they definitely won't go as many places as a small TJ will!

They both have their purpose. I'd love to buy a JKU Rubicon for long road trips with the family. It couldn't replace the TJ though for sheer off-road fun!

It's nicer on-road than the Saab was as well. Strange, but true. The spousal unit is going to freak right out the first time that things gets a little custom pin striping on it. There's about a dozen places that I can think of right off the top of my head where it's just not going to fit. Oh well.

I haven't had it off road yet, we've only had it home for a couple of days. It's going to be fun to compare the little SE to this thing. I bet it does just fine on 98% of the "roads" we travel on. It's going to be great on road trips. Especially the longer one's where you want to go off road, but need to carry more gear. Kinda half way between the TJ and the Bourbon. I was surprised to learn how easy it is to put 35's on a JKU correctly. It may need them too. That long wheel base just might be a killer. We're going Elk hunting this weekend, and I know a spot that blocks the big trucks, and anything with any sort of bad approach or departure angle. The trail is wide enough and technical enough that it may be a good first trip out. Take the TJ and the JK, with all of the recovery gear. Just to see what we shall see. If that happens, I'll try to remember to take some pictures. Might be interesting and informative.

Last edited:
I was surprised to learn how easy it is to put 35's on a JKU correctly. It may need them too. That long wheel base just might be a killer.

That's part of the beauty of the JK. You can stick 35"s on them without much work at all.

There's also no transfer case skid hanging down either!

So yeah, the JK is definitely a good Wrangler, there's no question about it. Car & Driver said the JK Rubicon was the most capable off-road vehicle they've ever driven, and I don't doubt it. Of course they were referring to a mass-produced vehicle that could be purchased by the general public (meaning we aren't talking about Humvees or Unimogs here).

The JK is a damn fine Wrangler. I just prefer the simplicity and utilitarian aspect of my TJ!

Reactions: StG58
There's a lot of perfectly flat skid plate under these things. I guess the Chrysler engineers do hang out on the forums.

Our preferences match there. I like simple. If this thing smokes my TJ off road, I see a JKR in my future, maybe. Naaah, still need the small size and the factors you mentioned of the TJ. :p

Yes, the Chrysler engineers so actually lurk on the forums, and they're Jeep enthusiasts themselves. Clearly the no hanging skid plate was something they probably took from all of us guys who were doing tummy tucks on our TJs!

Don't forget either... Your JK isn't EMP proof :p

At least I don't think it is...

Reactions: StG58 and Serbonze
Yes, the Chrysler engineers so actually lurk on the forums, and they're Jeep enthusiasts themselves. Clearly the no hanging skid plate was something they probably took from all of us guys who were doing tummy tucks on our TJs!

Don't forget either... Your JK isn't EMP proof :p

At least I don't think it is...

EMP resistant, not proof. Yup, the JKU would be toast. It does hold 22 gallons of gas though...hmmm. :D

EMP resistant, not proof. Yup, the JKU would be toast. It does hold 22 gallons of gas though...hmmm. :D

My bad, I worded that wrong!

22 gallons of gas is a plus! Mine holds 19 gallons, but the extra 3 would be nice.