New Fenders and Body Armor

John Beard

TJ Enthusiast
I am beginning to think of some new fenders and body armor as there are more than a few obstacles that require something other than the targets of opportunity I have now (Bushwackers). I am looking for some suggestions/opinions for what works.
Fender Flares 005.JPG

Reactions: Blaine
I am beginning to think of some new fenders and body armor as there are more than a few obstacles that require something other than the targets of opportunity I have now (Bushwackers). I am looking for some suggestions/opinions for what works.View attachment 747

Savvy makes some of the best body armor in my opinion, I'm sure others would agree.

In addition to that, are you looking for plastic style fenders or actual replacement fenders like Metalcloak and similar?

I would second Savvy. Those guys make some really, really nice armor.

Whatever you do, go aluminum if you can.

Savvy is pretty awesome stuff as stated already. The aluminum rockers and corner armor allow huge(!) weight savings. As far as fenders go, that's a highly personal and dependent upon where you wheel, level of ability with tools, and what you want to do. Some offer more clearance than others, some bend out of the way better. I've got a set of Metalcloak fenders waiting to go on to my jeep. They fit my needs the best and I'm in the crowd that likes how they look. And again, I got the aluminum versions and I can already tell you that even though they are still in the big boxes they came in, they are easy to pick up and move with no problem. Keeping the weight down is pretty crucial on TJ's to maintain power and also to avoid weighing down lift springs. So don't laugh off a weight savings of 15 or 20lbs per part. Because 20lbs here, 30lbs there, starts to add up real quick and sooner or later you end up with a rig that has more than 100 lbs of unnecessary weight on it.

That is sound advice. Most people have no regard whatsoever for how much weight they're adding to the TJ. I realize it's not a performance vehicle so maybe weight savings isn't the first concern for most of us, however it adds up fast. The more weight you and the worse your MPG gets and the more your engine is going to start to feel bogged down.

All of that having been said, I too would look at aluminum armor since it will yield some pretty substantial weight savings over steel!

Reactions: PStov98TJ
Currently my TJ weighs in at 4,620# (CAT Scale) and I have a 5,000# tow limit on my TJ. When I go to 35s in the next year or so, I will be overweight for my current Winnebago Aspect 30J.

I will definitely be using aluminum products, including swapping out my rear Hard Rock 4x4 bumper with a Savvy aluminum bumper. I have been looking at the Savvy products, the problem is I have Poison Spyder Rock Sliders, and I am not sure if they will match up without a lot of trimming. I don't like the Poison Spyder armor though.

Anyone interested in a pair of Poison Spyder Sliders?

Reactions: Chris
I am beginning to think of some new fenders and body armor as there are more than a few obstacles that require something other than the targets of opportunity I have now (Bushwackers). I am looking for some suggestions/opinions for what works.View attachment 747

I'm new at this, but I have a quick question, what did you use underneath your windshield (the black part)???

Currently my TJ weighs in at 4,620# (CAT Scale) and I have a 5,000# tow limit on my TJ. When I go to 35s in the next year or so, I will be overweight for my current Winnebago Aspect 30J.
I'm betting you're saying your Winnebago has a 5,000 lb. tow limit. The TJ's tow limit is only 2,000 lbs. :)

Last edited: