New Foot Study

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Howdy,
Some might remember last year I was involved in a study thru the VA where I got to try out 3 different types of feet in a study the VA was doing in trying to help decide what foot to give to an amputee. So I had an appointment in January to show them my new socket and foot that I had gotten made for when I am wearing a taller heeled boot like my motorcycle boots or my snowpacks during the winter.

While I was at that appointment I was asked if I would be interested in participating in another study. This one is working on developing a bionic foot that can mimic many different types of feet so that a amputee can test out how different feet feel to them without having to actually go thru wearing all these different feet. As a amputee you no longer have a ankle to flex for you and you don't have the muscles in your lower leg to push off for you as you step. So many prosthetic manufacturers try to make a foot that will store energy as you step down on it and then spring back up as you step forward. This works for some people but not all. Others becasue of the type of activates they do or where they live like me. I live on a gravel road and driveway so walking on uneven ground is hard with some types of feet.

So the idea of being able to help in the development of a foot that can mimic more than one type of foot to help out current and future amputees was a great opportunity. This foot that I am wearing is a IN LAB only thing but the idea is that they would at some point be able to market this so that regional centers would have the ability to use this foot and then amputees could then come in and walk in the center and they would be able to change the settings with a click on a keyboard or tablet.

Right now this current foot only emulates 3 different feet and it is connected to the computer thru cables so that it can gather all the different sensor inputs. So far I have only walked on the treadmill while testing out the 3 different modes. I'm not sure what I'm doing on my next appointment but at some point I'll be walking up and down a incline plus walking up & down stairs. Then once the lab work is down I will get to test out the 3 actual feet this bionic foot is emulating.

20200221_155246.jpg
20200221_160036.jpg
20200221_160047.jpg

That’s pretty cool. I’m sure a lot of advancements in prosthetics are coming in the near future with all the robotic advances.
The BIGGEST issue right now is weight. And until they can come up with a power pack that weighs less and has a longer charge life...….. But yes I hope some new stuff comes along.

Reactions: Daron and reddvltj
One day you'll just be able to get outfitted in an Ironman suit ;)

On a more serious note though, this is very cool, thanks for sharing. I have a friend who lost his left leg just above the knee to a motorcycle accident. He's actually managed to do really, really well on a prosthetic, but I'm sure something like this (if he doesn't already know about it) would excite him.

At some point they may be able to just regrow body parts with stem cells, that's what I hear at least. I don't think that will happen in my life, but you never know!

I really hope this works out well for you! Keep us posted- it is fascinating to see the advancements. Have you ever followed Para-Olympian Amy Purdy? She has done a lot of work as well to be able to snowboard with her double prosthetics.

That is absolute tits! What a great application of engineering and good on you for participating in these studies. I'm sure feedback you give them is worth the most, let us know how it works

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
I really hope this works out well for you! Keep us posted- it is fascinating to see the advancements. Have you ever followed Para-Olympian Amy Purdy? She has done a lot of work as well to be able to snowboard with her double prosthetics.

Yes I have followed her some and it is amazing what people can do and overcome. Kewl part is that the VA is sending me to a winter sports event next winter also.

Ottobock has just came out with a foot that can lock into the bindings.
https://www.ottobockus.com/prosthet...-overview/procarve-fitness-prosthetic-system/

That is absolute tits! What a great application of engineering and good on you for participating in these studies. I'm sure feedback you give them is worth the most, let us know how it works

I try and keep this updated as I am going thru the testing. Going to be gone for 2 weeks in March for a goose hunting trip. My next appointment is 2 March.

At this point are these contraptions just prototypes that they use to do testing with you in a controlled environment or are you taking them out into the real world?

At this point are these contraptions just prototypes that they use to do testing with you in a controlled environment or are you taking them out into the real world?

Just testing in a controlled environment at this point. I'm not sure at what point this will transfer to the real world.
But each step forward is a good thing.

Well I didn't get any pictures yesterday at my second appointment for the foot study. This appointment went pretty fast as they just had me walking on the treadmill and then a stair climber with each of the 3 programs.

My next appointment which is on 20 March I will be wearing the bionic foot and then the actual foot that it is emulating. This will really be interesting because this is where I get to give feedback as to how I think each foot compares to the computer example of the real thing. Then also at my next appointment they will be sending me home wearing one of these feet for a week. To make it more controled the foot is covered in a sock and then they zip tie it so I can't see the model or brand of foot that I'll be wearing .

I'm leaving Thursday on a hunting trip to Iowa for 10 days. Going with some friends and we are going after all the honkers that are headed back to Canada. I've never hunted White Geese before or any type of water birds actually. The only birds I've ever hunted were quail and that was with a .22 rifle. I've shot skeet before and then used a shotgun for military operations so this should be a interesting trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Head Lice
Well I didn't get any pictures yesterday at my second appointment for the foot study. This appointment went pretty fast as they just had me walking on the treadmill and then a stair climber with each of the 3 programs.

My next appointment which is on 20 March I will be wearing the bionic foot and then the actual foot that it is emulating. This will really be interesting because this is where I get to give feedback as to how I think each foot compares to the computer example of the real thing. Then also at my next appointment they will be sending me home wearing one of these feet for a week. To make it more controled the foot is covered in a sock and then they zip tie it so I can't see the model or brand of foot that I'll be wearing .

I'm leaving Thursday on a hunting trip to Iowa for 10 days. Going with some friends and we are going after all the hookers that are headed back to Canada. I've never hunted Canadian Geese before or any type of water birds actually. The only birds I've ever hunted were quail and that was with a .22 rifle. I've shot skeet before and then used a shotgun for military operations so this should be a interesting trip.
My question would be, why do the hookers leave in the first place.?
Good luck hunting, send back some pics please.

I'm leaving Thursday on a hunting trip to Iowa for 10 days. Going with some friends and we are going after all the honkers that are headed back to Canada. I've never hunted Canadian Geese before or any type of water birds actually.

I love it, that's about all the hunting I do anymore. It's engaging, dynamic, and doesn't involve having to drag a heavy carcass or body parts out of the woods. If you're half decent at shooting skeet you'll do fine.

I'm leaving Thursday on a hunting trip to Iowa for 10 days. Going with some friends and we are going after all the honkers that are headed back to Canada. I've never hunted Canadian Geese before or any type of water birds actually. The only birds I've ever hunted were quail and that was with a .22 rifle. I've shot skeet before and then used a shotgun for military operations so this should be a interesting trip.
What area of Iowa?

SW Iowa & the cabin we're staying in is near Thurman, IA

Here is a video from the guide service we're using.

Guide services are the way to go. I tried starting waterfowl on my own and just sucked at it - turns out I had no idea what the hell I was doing! I wish I had started with a guide service, would have saved me a season of being cold and wet with not a duck in sight.

Reactions: Wildman