New Fox Body Mustang (yes or no)

I'll admit that I thought the rears (in the pic) could've used a little more width, but it's a great looking car, nonetheless. As for the drivetrain differences, I had no idea. I do remember the Cobra having the IRS, as a buddy of mine was pretty excited about it.

Familiar with these? Probably my favorite of all the newer Mustangs...
View attachment 408298

View attachment 408299

View attachment 408300

I’d always considered myself a Mustang person but had never even heard of that Mach 1.

I was on a business trip in ‘06 and grabbed a Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine and heard about it for the first time. Started looking and found one advertised at a local dealer with 16k and was advertised as a GT, priced as such too.

Went and test drove it and immediately bought it.

The guy that had it, leased it and turned it in for an Escape Hybrid.

Also helped the insurance on the Mach was less than the Cobra and GT.

Last edited:
My first car was a 1981 Mustang. Unfortunately, it was the 4 banger engine and was absolutely gutless. I remember a steep grade on the freeway close to where I lived: If I didn't get a good speed before the incline, I had to pull all the way to the right because I couldn't even keep it up to 55mph.

It wasn't my car of choice, but was given to me by my grandpa. He was a Ford engineer. So he replaced his car with a newer Mustang and I got his old one being the oldest grandson.

Mine was pretty ugly: Silver with orange pinstripes. I had it painted black, which looked better.

Reactions: Squatch
I had two Fox Bodies. A 1984 GT350 and a 1985.5 SVO. The SVO was way ahead of its time and I'd own one today in a minute. This built 2.3l SVO put down 425hp to the rear wheels.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1601-this-1986-ford-mustang-svos-built-2-3l-packs-a-v-8-punch
98358619.jpg?fit=around%7C770:481.jpg

98358613.jpg?fit=around%7C770:481.jpg

95383296.jpg?fit=around%7C770:481.png

I had two Fox Bodies. A 1984 GT350 and a 1985.5 SVO. The SVO was way ahead of its time and I'd own one today in a minute. This built 2.3l SVO put down 425hp to the rear wheels.

[URL][URL]https://www.motortrend.co...ord-mustang-svos-built-2-3l-packs-a-v-8-punch[/URL][/URL]

View attachment 410188

View attachment 410189

View attachment 410190

I always loved the offset functional hood-scoop of the SVO, and the fact that they were a 5-lug wheel. That biplane rear spoiler was unique, to say the least. Not necessarily attractive, just different. What I really didn't care for about the spoiler, however, was the way that top piece bounced up and down. Made it look flimsy as hell. But regardless, they were beautiful cars. Definitely a rarity, these days.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1601-this-1986-ford-mustang-svos-built-2-3l-packs-a-v-8-punch
View attachment 410188

View attachment 410189

View attachment 410190

I always loved the offset functional hood-scoop of the SVO, and the fact that they were a 5-lug wheel. That biplane rear spoiler was unique, to say the least. Not necessarily attractive, just different. What I really didn't care for about the spoiler, however, was the way that top piece bounced up and down. Made it look flimsy as hell. But regardless, they were beautiful cars. Definitely a rarity, these days.

I will hold on to my anti-Ford bias. 💪

Cracks me up when Jeep lovers bash Ford even though Ford made nearly half the Jeeps for the war. Since this is a Fox body thread, I had an ‘88 GT that I dropped a 351W in back in ’97. Now I have an ‘89 ASC McLaren. I’ve never seen another in the wild.