New from Kodiak, AK

naponthebeach

99 Sahara owner here, living in Kodiak, AK since 2016. We bought the Jeep during our first winter because the house we were renting at the time had a steep grade to the driveway and out 2WD truck couldn't make it out for about 3 weeks due to the ice. We usually don't have such severe winters, but anything to justify a Jeep purchase, amiright?
Anyway, I recently had a control arm rust off of the frame and so I will be going under it with an angle grinder and wire wheel to get all of the rust off and see if I can just order a new bracket to have welded in place of the old one or if I will need a safety cap or similar device to get it up to par. Either way I plan to POR 15 it afterwards. I will also be making a "pummeling" device like one I saw in a recent thread here and cleaning out the inside of the frame, then applying an internal protective coating as well. Then drain holes might be in order. After dealing with the frame, there are some delayed maintenance issues that need to be addressed (front axel u-joint, ball joints), so I figured I would stop lurking and get registered up in case I needed to get some opinions or experience from the knowledge base here. I takes a village to raise an idiot after all.

Anyway, I am looking forward to speaking with you all and thanks for all the information I have learned over the past week while lurking. Attached is a picture of my Jeep when I first got it. I have removed all of the non-factory stickers and changed the rod holder to the spare tire holder.

Jeep.JPG

Welcome to the forum! There's a number of others members on here from Alaska as well.

For the rust, you'll want to cut out the entire section that has rust on it and replace it with a SafeTCap. You'll have to make sure that the area that you weld onto is also not rusted, or it won't hold up.

Welcome to the forum! There's a number of others members on here from Alaska as well.

For the rust, you'll want to cut out the entire section that has rust on it and replace it with a SafeTCap. You'll have to make sure that the area that you weld onto is also not rusted, or it won't hold up.

Yeah, I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube about it. I just need to get under there so I can see which length of safetcap to order. Luckily, we don't have to rely on this vehicle to get to work so I can take my time and try to get it right.

Reactions: Chris