New from Nebraska

InOmaha

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I just picked up a 2006 TJ Unlimited, 6spd manual, and had to start looking around for the best parts to add. :unsure:

:)

So I've been taking a look at people's opinion's and installations here at this forum.

I previously owned a 1998 ZJ for around 10 years then got out of Jeeps so I could drive a carpool of kids for a while. Now that they're in college, I'm back to a Jeep.

First up I need a new bumper with tow hitch for a smaller trailer and maybe a hard top since winter is starting here.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I have no doubt that you will find all the answers you seek here. I just got back into jeeps myself after a hiatus. I don't like the front bumper on mine, but can't really find that one that was everything I liked, so I'm about to start building my own.

When you get into suspension and wheels, just have a vision for what you want your jeep to be: rock crawler, mud hole, daily driver. If you ask for advice, most here will ask you that question.

I've only had it a week so I've been working my way through relearning the 4.0 and the basics. I definitely need to hook up a rear tow bumper since I'm not fond of the add on tow bar.

The previous owner bought a new Jeep, upgraded it before it left the lot, and put the wheels and tires from it on this one. So I believe the tires are from a 2018 JK. I know they are 32"x10" on 18 inch rims. My speedometer is off by 5-8 mph depending on my speeds and I've tracked down the gear to replace that and get it to where I won't get a ticket. I may need to look at least a slight lift before too much off roading. I have enough little projects and it's good on my commute for now, so I'll take some time to plan that out.

I could put a lot of parts on it for the cost of an LJ hard top, so I'm debating getting one or leaving on the soft top through winter. This Jeep replaced my other vehicle and is my commuter car now. I only commute 6 miles and park inside at night, so it's not a big deal.

Referencing the speedo gear, I don't believe that will work on the 2006 model. You will need a speedo healer (google it.) I used one on my CBR1000rr and it works like a charm. The best part is if you decide to re-gear in the future, you just reprogram the box and you are back in business.

As for the 4.0, I learned to wrench on one. They are really simple in design. It is the one engine I actually enjoy every minute of working on it.

Here's a photo.

image-20190928_095423.jpg

It worked it's way up here from Arizona and must have been parked in a garage for Sunday driving. It's as rust free as a 2006 can be for that age and has 69,000 miles on it.

Just a couple dings and something landed on the hood once, so I have to pull a couple dents and replace the window tie down.

Welcome to the forum! I'm in SW Omaha, good to have another local here on the site, there aren't very many. That's a clean LJ, nice find.

I've put on ~700 miles on it from when I bought it in September. (y)

From this morning.

20200102_074046.jpg
My commute is short.

In the Jeep section at work.

20200101_160234.jpg

It's starting to run stronger after new plugs, cleaning the idle control valve, and running fuel system cleaner through it.

I'm still not a huge fan of the wheels and tires on it, but I'll see what it looks like after a small lift and go from there.

Last edited: