New front brake calipers

Daz7

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm overhauling the front brakes and figure I'll buy some new callipers.

A lot of the brands I'm coming across are brands I've never dealt with before (powerstop and centric) else I just spend more and get the Mopar items.

I'm presuming the no brainer is to get Mopar items but thought I'd ask whats popular.

I replaced mine with units from NAPA and haven't had any problems at all. They come painted and assembled with all seals and pistons. I'm sure there are plenty of higher quality or performance options, but I wasn't feeling the need for such. Consider replacing the hoses while you're down there, too. If they're original, they're old enough to have inner lining peeling off and potentially clogging your calipers up.

Reactions: 04solartj
This is the add I see at the bottom of the thread.... damn cyber stalkers 😂

9C1B66D5-B0FB-4D34-B8F1-5ED8244045EA.png

Any quality replacement should be fine, even a good 'rebuilt' caliper. Spend the money on upgrading the pads. Also do a COMPLETE flush of the entire brake system. New fluid front to back. 100% change out. You will be amazed the crud that can develop in the system. If hoses show age replace them now too.

Any quality replacement should be fine, even a good 'rebuilt' caliper. Spend the money on upgrading the pads. Also do a COMPLETE flush of the entire brake system. New fluid front to back. 100% change out. You will be amazed the crud that can develop in the system. If hoses show age replace them now too.

Any commonly used hoses for no lift? They get pricey real quick but I assume you don't need to shell out for those. My soft lines are original.

Any commonly used hoses for no lift? They get pricey real quick but I assume you don't need to shell out for those. My soft lines are original.
Same as the calipers, grabbed NAPA units. You definitely want a flare nut wrench for the fastener that attaches the hardline to the soft line. Use a little penetrating fluid as necessary, and be ginger about it. I successfully got both mine off by both loosening and tightening until it moved freely. If it is stuck enough and you force it, you can twist the hardline up and that'll result in a much bigger job.

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
Reactions: Viking Jeeper