New Front Seat Upgrade

kodyturbo

I am thinking about installing aftermarket front seats in my 2006 Wranglerand my question is does anyone offer one that will tilt foreward like my passenger seat to have better access to the rear seat

I am thinking about installing aftermarket front seats in my 2006 Wranglerand my question is does anyone offer one that will tilt foreward like my passenger seat to have better access to the rear seat
My 06 driver's seat does. Hmmm. Hyundai Tiburon seats are popular, but the TJ base is what makes it accessible....you might consider a late model tilt driver's seat.

There is a factory flip/fold version for the driver side, but keep in mind it will not give you the same amount of access as the passenger side.

As above, it's the seat base that gives you back seat access, not the seat itself. So if you buy seats that bolt to the factory seat bases, you'll have the same access to the rear that you do now.

I went with PRP suspension seats for my TJ, they're one of the few American made seat brands.

As above, it's the seat base that gives you back seat access, not the seat itself. So if you buy seats that bolt to the factory seat bases, you'll have the same access to the rear that you do now.

I went with PRP suspension seats for my TJ, they're one of the few American made seat brands.
Jerry, the PRP seats did you have to change the mount/base or the seat belts?

I have an 06 and both drivers and passengers seats tilt forward. I did the Tiburon seat swap. It uses the original bases so I can still tilt the seats forward. I do have to reach under the seat so it isn't the most convenient. I'm sure if motivated a person could fabricate a release lever. I rarely have the need so have not bothered.

Last edited:
Jerry, the PRP seats did you have to change the mount/base or the seat belts?
I'm using the factory seat bases with the seat base adapter kit available from PRP. I'm using the outer factory seat belt though I had to create a mount for the inside belt to attach to. The inner factory belt is too short for the way I mounted it so I purchased an inner seat belt from a vintage Mustang parts store, it has a longer steel mount that is long enough. The Mustang belt receptacle matches the Jeep's outer belt buckle piece. I think it's a late 60's or 70's era Mustang seat belt that I used. That steel colored part between the belt's mounting bolt (use a Grade 8 there) and base is a piece of angled steel bolted into place.

SeatBeltMountCloseUp.jpg
SeatBeltMountedNewSeat.jpg

I have an 06 and both drivers and passengers seats tilt forward. I did the Tiburon seat swap. It uses the original bases so I can still tilt the seats forward. To so I do have to reach under the seat so it isn't the most convenient. I'm sure if motivated a person could fabricate a release lever. I rarely have the need so have not bothered.

I have the same set up in my '04 LJ. I currently have a pull cord and handle (think lawn mower) that I can grab from behind the seat. The handle just sits on the floor and is there when I need it. It's not ideal but it works. I've played with a flexible metal inner/outer cable and think that that might be the answer. It has a similar handle on one end and I plan to make a bracket that will allow me to attach it to the roll bar in a convenient location. Like you I just need to get motivated enough to finish it.

Reactions: 06lj
That’s exactly what I needed to kn
I'm using the factory seat bases with the seat base adapter kit available from PRP. I'm using the outer factory seat belt though I had to create a mount for the inside belt to attach to. The inner factory belt is too short for the way I mounted it so I purchased an inner seat belt from a vintage Mustang parts store, it has a longer steel mount that is long enough. The Mustang belt receptacle matches the Jeep's outer belt buckle piece. I think it's a late 60's or 70's era Mustang seat belt that I used. That steel colored part between the belt's mounting bolt (use a Grade 8 there) and base is a piece of angled steel bolted into place.

View attachment 228171View attachment 228172
Jerry, this is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Great forum with lots of good info ..

I recently picked up a 97 sport and have been working on seat replacements. Got a set of Mini Cooper S seats and trying to keep the tip forward functionality. Lots to consider given the height of rear base mechanical components. Hope to have something working later today. First attempt with 1.25 steel tube ... no good ... lost too much height. Will try .25 bar stock for the mounting base.

Thanks for the help

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Finished the drivers seat and mostly happy. Few tweaks needed.

Need to lower the front a bit. I believe I can easily get a 1/2" lower in the front by adjusting (hammer) the front riser.

The tip functionality works. Huge improvement over stock seat. Amazing you can't get replacement seat bottom foam for a reasonable price.

20210228_135025.jpg
20210228_143556.jpg
20210228_160406.jpg

I finished the seat install today. Very happy but with a modification to the ratchet height adjustment on the mini cooper seats.

Basically $60 for the seat pair (upullandpay) and some 1/4"x1 steel bar ($30). Pop and tilt works.

The important piece of this swap is to lower the height pivot on the front of the mini seats.

20210306_090140.jpg

20210306_154819.jpg

20210306_164633.jpg

A nice feature of the mini seats is the tip and slide of the seat has a high handle.

Kinda have two motions to access the back seat...seat tip and slide and the seat base tip and raise.
20210307_102147.jpg
20210307_102204.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff.
I just finished my Tiburon seat conversion to the TJ tilt base. I was able to use the original tilt cable on the passenger seat and it works fantastic. The driver seat was tough. I couldn't find a suitable place to mount the cable end, so I'll fabricate and add a bracket to the driver's frame later.

I took some pics and I'm doing a write up for it. Hopefully I'll post tonight.

Ray

I finished the seat install today. Very happy but with a modification to the ratchet height adjustment on the mini cooper seats.

Basically $60 for the seat pair (upullandpay) and some 1/4"x1 steel bar ($30). Pop and tilt works.

The important piece of this swap is to lower the height pivot on the front of the mini seats.

View attachment 231866

View attachment 231867

View attachment 231868

Old post but here goes anyways. How did you remove the front fasteners to move them? Were you able to reuse them or is that a rivet in the pic? I used the same seats and your right, the front is a bit steep.