New fuel pump does not work

Skeeter

97 jeep wrangler won't crank after I installed new pump. It would not start before and I could not here the pump so I replaced today and still can't here it and won't crank. I swapped relays and still nothing. The last time I drove was a couple of weeks ago and washed engine but ran fine that night. The next week would not start. Anyone have any idea I would like to here them. Thanks

Cranking and starting mean two different things. Are you saying the starter motor cranks the engine but it doesn't start or that the starter motor isn't cranking the engine?

Last edited:
Reactions: astjp2
It is starting the engine but just turning over and over quickly. There is no pressure and when I first begun I pressed the valve stem to release preasure nothing came out.

It just turns over like out of gas. It does not even start to run. I don't here the pump at all

same thing happened to me it was a broken wire to the fuel pump on the long stretch of wire between the ones that go to transmission ( mine is a manual) and then back to the pump

If (big if) I understand what you are saying...
Jeep was running fine.

Took a pressure washer to the engine

Let it sit wet for a week

Would crank (turn over the engine) but not run

Couldn't hear fuel pump running

Replaced fuel pump

Now still can't hear fuel pump running. And now engine will not turn over.

Is that correct?

Well, the fuel pump issue should not prevent the starter from turning over. And I am poor with computerized ignitions. But I would try and get the pump working first. Others here can give a wire by wire, fuse by fuse break down. Do you have the FSM for your year Jeep? They are all available in PDF form in the "sticky" section. And the how to section covers a lot of system info too.

Skeeter, not trying to hijack your thread but I am having the same issue (without the power washing).
Just for the heck of it, put a piece of hose on your old pump, stick it in a bucket of water, and hotwire it to a battery. Bet it works. And I'll bet your problem, and mine, isn't the pump.

Mine began long starting---cranking for more than a couple seconds. Then it wouldn't start at all. I had spark but no fuel pressure. I replaced the pump and it still showed 0 psi at the rail. I could not hear the new pump cycle on. I checked voltage at the tank connection and got nothing. I pulled wires out of the loom from the tank to where it disappears up over the tranny. Everything was clean. So I wired the pump directly to a battery and while it was humming, turned it over and the gauge still read 0.
So I towed it to a garage to have a real mechanic fix it. He told me I needed to replace the entire module and he reflashed the ECU. It ran fine for about 2 weeks, then began to long start, and eventually would not start at all again. I am back to 0 psi at the rail and I hear nothing from the pump when I cycle the key.
I will be curious to see what you find out on yours.

I am now considering a 5 gallon bucket of Tannerite and a 30.06

That is funny. I am considering trying the distributer next because my daddy had the same problem with 2.5 S10. We changed the fuel pump when it went out and then it ran for two more weeks and quit again. This time he changed the distributor and it ran like a champ. It is cheap and easy enough I going to try next. I will let you know how it goes.

It was not the distributor. I took it to Advance Auto and used their code reader and it is unable to connect. They were telling me it is probably the ECM.