New Genright highline hoods

not to go completely off the rails, but a lot of the reputation for crummy quality comes from a bit of the chinese culture...We do quite a bit of business there too, and they have a very "catch me if you can" mentality. In other words, if they can save a buck and you don't notice it, they are being good businessmen. A lot of times, that comes in shortcuts to process, accepting questionable product, material substitutions, etc. You need to be ever diligent.
I came across this a lot as well! If I didn't specify exactly what was to be done then it was left open to become a shortcut.

Sometimes it’s easier to go by country of origin.
This is true. Especially when it comes to the examples you described. I try to ask myself "is it worth risking getting a dud part that will fail you in the worst place?" and if the answer is no I'll try to get one from a company of known quality.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Am I the only one who was hoping for a steel or aluminum high line hood?
I would LOVE a steel highline hood. If I could find a reasonably priced AEV, I'd be all over it. And by reasonably priced, I mean maybe 2x a factory replacement. 1200 for a Fiberglass hood is too rich for me. I get it, tooling costs are $$$$$, especially domestically. Gotta get those back as quick as you can. Consumers, as a rule, are a fickle bunch. I just can't justify the spend, for me, personally.

I have looked at the Hard Rock JK hood a couple times and thought to myself...hmmm...this looks like its pre-cut for a highline already. That's as far as I've taken it though...even though my folks have a JK and I could take any measurements I needed.

I make a few things out of CF for boats from time to time, Dash panels, switch panels brackets. It looks great, has some good structural strength, but scratches easy and shows those scratches proudly. Doesn't seem to me to be a good match for a off-road rig for that kind of money,,,gregg

I make a few things out of CF for boats from time to time, Dash panels, switch panels brackets. It looks great, has some good structural strength, but scratches easy and shows those scratches proudly. Doesn't seem to me to be a good match for a off-road rig for that kind of money,,,gregg

I have many scratches everywhere on my jeep but the hood doesn't really take much scratchs and I come from the land of blackberries! I would run CF hood without reservation. THe problem is if the question is cut your hood vs $1500 hood i would spend that money elsewhere, but if I ever need a new hood i would probably run one of these. Love the look and the venting.

Reactions: Wildman
Up on their website, made in USA by a company named Varozza
I have one on my LJ. It's an awesome piece. Pricey but if you can afford it, well worth it IMO. I bought it directly from Ben at Varozza 4x4. Bolted right on and looks fantastic out of the box. Although, I will eventually paint it to match the LJ. It is so far superior than the craptastic Duraflex fiberglass hood I was going to use. The care in the packing for shipment was awesome, too. Split tube foam around the hood edges and styrofoam blocks to secure it in the box. After I unboxed it, the sting of the price was instantly gone.

It does not come predrilled for the footman loop, windshield bumpers, washer nozzle, or hood spring. Everything else went right on and fit perfectly. I had to loosen passenger side hinge to get it to line up but that was the only adjustment. There is aluminum (1/4" I think) sandwiched in the fiberglass layers and threaded where needed to match factory hardware. The square cutout for the hood prop rod clip is even there.

I did not bother adding the footman loop or windshield bumper as I never will use them. I moved the washer nozzle to the cowl and it works well from there. Used Dorman 47137 kit. Hood latches are Kentrol stainless. I could have used stock but got these for a good price. They are solid!

Overall, I am very pleased with this hood. I highly recommend it for those wanting a lightweight highline hood, and have the budget.

IMG_4624.jpgIMG_4625.jpgIMG_4628.jpgIMG_4629.jpgIMG_4631.jpg62079104432__C4AA9DCE-9F70-432D-B884-867EEB0CFAAF.jpgIMG_4634.jpgIMG_4635.jpgIMG_4637.jpgIMG_4638.jpgIMG_4677.jpgIMG_4680.jpgIMG_4862.JPG

Last edited:
I have one on my LJ. It's an awesome piece. Pricey but if you can afford it, well worth it IMO. I bought it directly from Ben at Varozza 4x4. Bolted right on and looks fantastic out of the box. Although, I will eventually paint it to match the LJ. It is so far superior than the craptastic Duraflex fiberglass hood I was going to use. The care in the packing for shipment was awesome, too. Split tube foam around the hood edges and styrofoam blocks to secure it in the box. After I unboxed it, the sting of the price was instantly gone.

It does not come predrilled for the footman loop, windshield bumpers, washer nozzle, or hood spring. Everything else went right on and fit perfectly. I had to loosen passenger side hinge to get it to line up but that was the only adjustment. There is aluminum (1/4" I think) sandwiched in the fiberglass layers and threaded where needed to match factory hardware.

I did not bother adding the footman loop or windshield bumper as I never will use them. I moved the washer nozzle to the cowl and it works well from there. Used Dorman 47137 kit. Hood latches are Kentrol stainless. I could have used stock but got these for a good price. They are solid!

Overall, I am very pleased with this hood. I highly recommend it for those wanting a lightweight highline hood, and have the budget.

View attachment 209942View attachment 209943View attachment 209944View attachment 209945View attachment 209947View attachment 209941View attachment 209948View attachment 209949View attachment 209950View attachment 209951View attachment 209952View attachment 209953View attachment 209956
Looks great, I’m sure your review will help others make the decision.

Reactions: DougB
DougB, I think it looks just as good as my AEV hood..
Thanks!

The only flaw this has over the AEV, from what I can tell, is since this is fiberglass with a gel top coat, it will need a quick skim coat to smooth out a few minor imperfections before paint. Not sure if the AEV was top coat ready out of the box. I’m not a body guy.