New Goodyear A/T Tire?

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
Had to have the tires re-balanced today after a rotation.,.got a slight wobble between 55-60 mph. Anyway, the counter guy at Discount tried to sell me a set of tires. First he tried KO2s, to which I replied "I'd be all over those if they came in a C rating". Nope. Then we got to talking about Duratracs being C rated in the 265/75-16 size, and he said "How about the new Goodyear UltraTerrain?" I said "What's that?"

He showed me this:
gdyrl8_ang_l.jpg

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at/p/44188

Anyone heard of these tires before? They look more aggressive than a lot of A/T tires, but in my size they only come in a P-metric availability - 265 /75 R16 116S SL SBL...

Are these actually new, or have the been out for a while? Either way, I've never heard of them before.

Are they actually C rated as well? For me, I won't consider tires that are anything over D load range, which makes it very slim pickings, even with 17" wheels.

Are these actually new, or have the been out for a while? Either way, I've never heard of them before.

Are they actually C rated as well? For me, I won't consider tires that are anything over D load range, which makes it very slim pickings, even with 17" wheels.
I had not heard of them either. They are apparently a Discount Tire exclusive offering, like Cooper Discoverer ATP tires...as far as load rating, since they are a P-metric and not an LT, they have an SL (standard load) rating, which is pretty much a passenger vehicle load rating.

Ahhh, I am not familiar with P-metric, but that makes sense. I did a Google search but couldn't find much (if anything) about them.

I did see they make a 315/70R17 Duratrac in a D rating though!

It's a new tire that discount tire started selling exclusively just a few weeks ago. Came on my news feed and I saw but forgot to post here. I am not sure how different this will be compared to our favourite C-rated duratacs in the same size, but they are about $25 cheaper and 5lb lighter for the 265/75R16 size. The tread pattern difference is interesting, I wonder if the new ones will be quieter on the road.

http://www.tirereview.com/discount-...ain-to-exclusive-tires-sold-at-brands-stores/

upload_2018-10-29_16-19-57.png

specs on the ultraterrains

UltraTerrain%20Size_zpscfiaplgu.jpg

upload_2018-10-29_16-34-57.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Chris
Great find! I’m seriously interested. What’s the group-think on putting non-load rated tires on our TJs?

Plenty of guys in the Tacoma forums see getting these and seem to be happy with them. I think they will be a good tire to try , but want to see how they will wear compared to duratracs.

Great find! I’m seriously interested. What’s the group-think on putting non-load rated tires on our TJs?
I've seen reviews from Tacoma owners who are running either SL rated, and E rated, and so far no one has complained. I was hoping to find them in a C rating, but I would have no issues running an SL rated tire on my TJ. That's what's on there now, just a lot tamer tread...

It's a new tire that discount tire started selling exclusively just a few weeks ago. Came on my news feed and I saw but forgot to post here. I am not sure how different this will be compared to our favourite C-rated duratacs in the same size, but they are about $25 cheaper and 5lb lighter for the 265/75R16 size. The tread pattern difference is interesting, I wonder if the new ones will be quieter on the road.

http://www.tirereview.com/discount-...ain-to-exclusive-tires-sold-at-brands-stores/

View attachment 60742

specs on the ultraterrains

View attachment 60746

View attachment 60755
I don't see 15 inch

These remind me of the Goodyear Authority from Walmart. Both the Ultraterrain and Authority look like a milder Duratrac.
bf3d3badffbcd662cd8dfec35669071d.jpg