New grey haired off-roader

ATCKIP

Hello members! I'm an over 60 retired ATC who has had 4x4's my whole life. Mainly trucks used to get to hunting spots...but there was a Toyota Land Cruiser in my youth that spent a bunch of time either buried to the doors or climbing something I shouldn't. But we all remember youth.. ..Anyway, My Jeep journey started with a 01 TJ 2.5 that was snapped up to pull behind my RV. What was purchased as a easy tow vehicle, quickly developed into my favorite running around...did I mention I'm retired...go to the grocery ride. Pretty stock with some oversized....235 tires! I love that Jeep but just doesn't have enough Umpffff with the 4 banger. My story continues with the purchase of a 04 TJ X with the 4.0. That's where I hope you guys can help out. With some sound information. So forgive me up front for any newbee naive questions. I'm ready to play

20210123_113318.jpg

Welcome to the forum, nice color too. You will be finding a ton of good information along with a group of people willing to share what they know. Sounds like you have plenty of offroad experience so its just a matter of building for what you want it to do. As most will tell you, drive it until it won't go where you want it to and go from there. Its very easy to sink many dollars into it just because you can (speaking from experience) before actually knowing what you need.

Great looking TJ and welcome to the forum too!

I had a 4 banger once upon a time and it didn't have enough oomph either, so I know what you mean there.

Got any big plans for it, or just going to drive it and enjoy it the way it is?

It's main use will be as towed vehicle behind my RV. Pretty limited offroads. Dirt roads and not too tough conditions. I've been down the broke driveshafts, burnt clutches, tree dents, Spend lots of cash on broke stuff road and will gladly watch others do that. I want a good looking, safe and fairly comfortable ride to play with. My first learning curve is what I need to get the 3 inch body lift off and get a correct suspension under her

95Bird001.jpg

Now that's a house on wheels right there! Welcome from a fellow grey haired jeeper. While I'm still a few years from retiring, my jeep serves as toad as well behind our much more modest RV. Totally agree on you ditching that hideous body lift for a more milder 1.25" BL, then let's measure your springs at ride height to see what you got for further recommendations.

Hello members! I'm an over 60 retired ATC who has had 4x4's my whole life. Mainly trucks used to get to hunting spots...but there was a Toyota Land Cruiser in my youth that spent a bunch of time either buried to the doors or climbing something I shouldn't. But we all remember youth.. ..Anyway, My Jeep journey started with a 01 TJ 2.5 that was snapped up to pull behind my RV. What was purchased as a easy tow vehicle, quickly developed into my favorite running around...did I mention I'm retired...go to the grocery ride. Pretty stock with some oversized....235 tires! I love that Jeep but just doesn't have enough Umpffff with the 4 banger. My story continues with the purchase of a 04 TJ X with the 4.0. That's where I hope you guys can help out. With some sound information. So forgive me up front for any newbee naive questions. I'm ready to play

View attachment 220556
Hey neighbor, I'm in Senoia.