New Guy From NC

WPGB1977

Supporting Member
Just picked up a 2006 Rubicon 6 speed with only 32,500 miles on it. I had to drive 3 hours each way to pick it up but totally worth it. Now I've gotta figure out mods, but thinking first bumpers, then OME 4" set up with 33's.

In the meantime, previous owner recently put brand new KO2's on it so it's good to go for now. Clean and rust free so it doesn't need much of anything. I'm thinking about doing the OPDA upgrade just for peace of mind. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Anyway, looking forward to learning more from you guys about how to make this thing even more badass. All of the forums out there were a great to help me in the buying process, by the way.

image.jpeg

Holy cow! That's got to be the cleanest TJ Rubicon I've seen in a long, long time! What did you pay for it?

OME only makes a 2" lift, but it's one of the best lifts you can get. I would get the OME 2" lift with a 1" body lift. That would clear 33" tires just fine, and give you one of the best setups you can get!

That's what I would do if it was my rig. Then I'd put a Warn M8000 winch on it, some nice LED headlights, and that's about it. I love that thing the way it looks for the most part!

Reactions: EJD
Chris - thanks for the insight into the OME lift. I was told to call DPG (I think?) and they could talk with me about my goals and recommend the right set up which is what I plan on doing tomorrow. Fundamentally, I want to run 33" tires (would actually like 35" but from what I've read that creates even more mods than the 33") and that's about as far as I've gotten.

I agree on the wench. Definitely at the top of the list.

I paid $21,950 cash for it. Frankly that's more than I wanted to spend but when I saw it - and the condition, mileage and fact that it's bone stock - I had to have it. I was able to talk the dude down $1,000 off his asking price at least. Doing my research, I think I got a good deal on it, but even if I paid a bit more than I should, the thing is clean, clean, clean...and I have peace of mind it's not been beaten on.

Reactions: Chris
Lol! I know. It's actually pretty ridiculous how nice it is, and I say that not to brag but bc I'm still very surprised myself at the find.

Here are a couple of other pics from the Craigslist ad. Sorry for the full image vs thumbnail but I think it shows the condition better.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Chris - thanks for the insight into the OME lift. I was told to call DPG (I think?) and they could talk with me about my goals and recommend the right set up which is what I plan on doing tomorrow. Fundamentally, I want to run 33" tires (would actually like 35" but from what I've read that creates even more mods than the 33") and that's about as far as I've gotten.

I agree on the wench. Definitely at the top of the list.

I paid $21,950 cash for it. Frankly that's more than I wanted to spend but when I saw it - and the condition, mileage and fact that it's bone stock - I had to have it. I was able to talk the dude down $1,000 off his asking price at least. Doing my research, I think I got a good deal on it, but even if I paid a bit more than I should, the thing is clean, clean, clean...and I have peace of mind it's not been beaten on.

Yep, you can give him a call and he'll get you setup.

You don't want 35" tires unless you're going to be doing some serious off-roading. To fit 33" tires, you'll need to invest some serious money in a lift, as well as strengthening a bunch of other stuff. It's simply not worth it unless you actually need them, I can tell you that much.

That price isn't bad, I paid 20k for my Rubicon with 65k miles, so you actually got it for about the going price, especially in that condition!

In the meantime, previous owner recently put brand new KO2's on it so it's good to go for now. Clean and rust free so it doesn't need much of anything. I'm thinking about doing the OPDA upgrade just for peace of mind. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Anyway, looking forward to learning more from you guys about how to make this thing even more badass. All of the forums out there were a great to help me in the buying process, by the way.

View attachment 18606
Man that Red looks sharp!
Especially with all that Green behind it, feel like i've seen that somewhere recently, lol.
I would also stay will the 33's and exactly what Chris just said, that would be perfect!

Wow , thought mine was a gem, I'd be fired up too. Lol
Yeah if your unsure about the OPDA, just replace it with a Crown...... $100 and 30 minutes of labor, done.
Sweet sweet ride my friend.

Great looking Rubicon. My advice would be to do nothing to it (for now). Seriously, drive it as is for the rest of the summer and get to know your rig. Find what you truly like and don't like about your jeep and plan your modifications from there. It's exciting to want to jump in and start buying add ons for your new toy but patience can be a virtue (and save you some money). You'll find that your jeep in its stock form is an extremely capable vehicle.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Awesome Rubi, and in my favorite color! Congratulations!

X5 OME and BL to clear 33's.

I can't believe these clean Rubi's still exist! Very nice ride sir. Drive it, wheel it a bit, get intimate with your jeep. Just from my personal experience, once you change something on the jeep, 3 other things will pop up that you need to change or that bother you, so be careful my friend, it's a slippery slope.

Reactions: UpperMI
Wow! You Jeep is beautiful and in great shape! I love the red with black interior.

Side note since you mentioned the OME kit- has anyone had any luck getting the OME lift kit lately? It's sold out on Amazon and the guy at the local off-road place is trying to hunt one down for me, but having some trouble finding it in stock anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! You Jeep is beautiful and in great shape! I love the red with black interior.

Side note since you mentioned the OME kit- has anyone had any luck getting the OME lift kit lately? It's sold out on Amazon and the guy at the local off-road place is trying to hunt one down for me, but having some trouble finding it in stock anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call the guy at DPG off-road...I think his name is Dirk. I talked with him for about 30 mins the other day and while I didn't actually place my order I got the impression that when I do call back he'll be ready to ship. http://dpgoffroad.com/