New Guy from the O-Coast

fowldarr

Well, I've been stalking a lot of good threads over the past couple of weeks, so I figured I would stop in and introduce myself. I bought a 1998 TJ Sahara edition a couple of weeks ago. It's in great shape for having over 200,000 miles on it!

I was actually on 'vacation'. By vacation, I mean took a week off, drove from Oregon to Idaho to paint my Mother-in-laws kitchen. My bonus had come in the week before, and my wife and I had agreed that it was time to buy the jeep I had wanted for a long time. So here I am 800 miles from home perusing craigslist for a jeep. I had a self-imposed budget of $5000, and was primarily looking at YJs, but an occasional TJ would hit the radar. Well this one pops up. It's three hours south into Utah, has high miles and I scroll on. But I kept going back to it. The dark green/tan combo in the Sahara package is just a sexy vehicle (I know you all agree).

I may have gone a little above my budget, but the PO met me half way. So, I meet a guy I don't know in a dark parking lot of a Love's Truckstop to exchange a good chunk of change for a jeep. Took a bit of a chance only seeing it in the dark, but the PO carefully walked me through everything that he knew to be wrong with it, and I had the knowledge that he had just driven it almost two hours to meet me, so I figured it would make it to Idaho. It did. But, I trailered it home from Idaho to Oregon.

Just realized after writing all of this, I don't have any pictures on my computer, so I'll get those posted in the next post.

For now, it is just baseline maintenance. It needs new shocks, some new hard top seals (Also came with a soft top that is in great condition), it's currently sitting on 33's with no lift (which causes quite a bit of rubbing) So, I have some stuff to sort out.

Here are the pictures I promised. Some are from the for sale post.

99B6310C-C7A7-431D-896A-43C2A6BD5C93.png

6541538F-6AE3-415F-A492-BE90C13514B8.jpeg

018DC3AB-BDDC-4460-941B-FF863DD3CFEF.jpeg

There sure is a lot of Oregonians here, myself included.

Anyways, welcome from Salem, Oregon! Where on the coast are you exactly? We go to the coast all the time being in West Salem (so we aren't too far).

I look forward to seeing photos of it, and hopefully you'll be able to get all the issues with it sorted out pretty easily. You'll find that this forum is a tremendous resource for troubleshooting and that sort of thing. I encourage you to check out the TJ Frequently Asked Questions section of the site, as well as the TJ How-to Guides section, as many of the stuff you may be looking for is in there!

I'm over in Reedsport (south of Florence, north of Coos Bay), not actually on the coast but I can leave my office or living room and be knee deep in the pacific in 7 minutes, so I claim the coast.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks guys. Looking forward to relying on the immense amount of knowledge here as I slowly turn it into a nice, fun, reliable, beach-combing, mountain-climbing, kid-running, all-purpose rig.

I forgot to mention. The PO thought the engine ‘might have been rebuilt’. I’m not so sure about that, but I have a mechanic buddy with a 4.0 with 1500 miles on it, if and when I need it.

Well hey, if the engine was rebuild, that's not a bad thing.

I will tell you that these 4.0s have been proven to make it to at least 600k miles without needing a rebuild. The transmissions however will need a rebuild around ever 200k miles or less. That's normal for any vehicle though.

Yeah, I’m not real worried about it, drive it until it breaks as far as engine and transmission go.

My plan is to go with the Rancho shocks just to make it more driveable. Do all the baseline maintenance, and then start getting serious about OME Lift and other goodies.

Reactions: Chris
Hey nice Jeep, I have the same color combo btw. I spend a good amount of time on the Oregon Coast too...one of my favorite places. You're not too far from Sand Lake Rec either, thats really nice to have so close to home.

Sand Lake is quite a bit north of me, but Oregon Dunes National Monument is basically in my backyard. I'm going to do a lot of baseline maintenance and get a nice undercoating before taking it out on the sand (Sand by the ocean is just as bad as salted roads based on some of the jeeps I looked at around here)

Reactions: EJD