New guy from Tucson

Thdoors

Hey guys, i’m new here. My first Jeep was way back in 1988 and it was a 1977 CJ 7 Renegade. It was a marvelous beast, black with a white hard top. Being a dumb teen, it didn’t last me that long (crashed it doing dumb teen stuff). Fast forward too many years and here I am.

My wife recently gave me permission (crazy right) to start looking for a Jeep. I’m going to take a look at this tomorrow https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/tucson-2000-jeep-wrangler-tj-sport-low/6798447255.html I asked him what axles he has and he said Dana 35 rear/Dana 30 front with 4:10 gears and 33” BFG MT. I’m not planning on anything other than light trail use for now, but I’ve been doing some reading and it appears the Dana 35 aren’t that highly thought of.

Should I pass and does that price seem reasonable? Jeeps around here (Tucson) appear be worth their weight in gold...lol. If this is the wrong spot for this question, my apologies. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance and I’m looking forward to not sounding as dumb as I look.

73BEEF88-AB93-40BD-9DA4-0EC08A1C4793.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Frist off, the Dana 35 is NOT a bad axle. Anyone who is spreading that nonsense should not be listened to. It is more than up to the task of running 35" tires with a few upgrades. Running 33s will be no trouble at all, especially if you're just doing light off-roading.

That TJ looks very clean in the CL ad, and the price is right too!

Two threads I'm going to suggest you check out:
What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?
Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! You're definitely picking the right vehicle, that's for sure!

Frist off, the Dana 35 is NOT a bad axle. Anyone who is spreading that nonsense should not be listened to. It is more than up to the task of running 35" tires with a few upgrades. Running 33s will be no trouble at all, especially if you're just doing light off-roading.

That TJ looks very clean in the CL ad, and the price is right too!

Two threads I'm going to suggest you check out:
What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?
Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! You're definitely picking the right vehicle, that's for sure!
Thanks Chris. I appreciate the words. Makes me feel a little more comfortable. I’ll check out the other links. You run a tidy ship here. I’ve been lurking a while. Was wondering if you could delete my other post. I didn’t think it went through. Thanks again.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks Chris. I appreciate the words. Makes me feel a little more comfortable. I’ll check out the other links. You run a tidy ship here. I’ve been lurking a while. Was wondering if you could delete my other post. I didn’t think it went through. Thanks again.

No worries, I deleted it for you!

There's a great bunch of folks here you'll find (and I'm sure you already know, especially if you've been lurking), all of whom are very willing to help.

Either way, from the photos, that looks like a nice TJ, and the Dana 35 wouldn't worry me one bit.

No worries, I deleted it for you!

There's a great bunch of folks here you'll find (and I'm sure you already know, especially if you've been lurking), all of whom are very willing to help.

Either way, from the photos, that looks like a nice TJ, and the Dana 35 wouldn't worry me one bit.
Thanks. That’s good to know. I took a different one today for a pre purchase inspection. Didn’t get it. Needed about 3g in work and the guy was asking 12,900. I don’t really want to pay another $170 for another inspection. On the flip side I don’t want to get railroaded either. I’ll look at those other links to get some pointers.

Welcome to the crazy!

Is the undercarriage as clean as the rest of the Jeep? You AZ boys are spoiled.
I’m going to look at it tomorrow, but I’m suspecting it is rust free. I’m originally from the U.P. Of Michigan. If you look at the pic I posted of my first Jeep, you’ll see that I really understand how lucky I am to now live in AZ!

Looks very clean, be good to see the chassis but looking at the under hood and bits of the wheel wells visible it looks excellant. Low miles, good price, and as Chris says, the Dana 30/Dana 35 is are excellant axles. 4.10 ratios, with the 3 speed automatic.... you'll never need to regear.

Looks very clean, be good to see the chassis but looking at the under hood and bits of the wheel wells visible it looks excellant. Low miles, good price, and as Chris says, the Dana 30/Dana 35 is are excellant axles. 4.10 ratios, with the 3 speed automatic.... you'll never need to regear.
Thanks @billiebob, I just asked the guy if there are upgraded shafts in the Dana 35’s. I’ll see what he says. Like I originally said, I don’t plan on doing much other than light trail riding to take the fam shooting and ghost town hunting.

Thanks. That’s good to know. I took a different one today for a pre purchase inspection. Didn’t get it. Needed about 3g in work and the guy was asking 12,900. I don’t really want to pay another $170 for another inspection. On the flip side I don’t want to get railroaded either. I’ll look at those other links to get some pointers.

Rust is the main concern with these things. If the underside is rust free, anything else is easy to fix by comparison!

But yes, when you get a chance, definitely check out those threads!

Rust is the main concern with these things. If the underside is rust free, anything else is easy to fix by comparison!

But yes, when you get a chance, definitely check out those threads!
So I’ve been reading those threads. Do you have a link to the revolution shafts for the Dana 35’s?

Is it this one https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit

Or this
https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod...4_97_06_jeep_tj_and_lj_wdrum_brakes_30_spline

So I’ve been reading those threads. Do you have a link to the revolution shafts for the Dana 35’s?

Is it this one https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit

Or this
https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod...4_97_06_jeep_tj_and_lj_wdrum_brakes_30_spline

You've got two options:

1) Keep the 27 spline shafts your Dana 35 has and replace them with stronger alloy shafts.
2) Turn your Dana 35 into a Super 35 by purchasing 30 spline alloy axles which you can find here:
https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/super-35-rear-axle-kit-dana-35-30-spline/

The second option requires a 30 spline differential, so that's when you'd want to put in a locker at the same time that has 30 spline.

The second option is no doubt the better option, hands down. Of course it will cost more initially, but it's the way to go no doubt.

The first option will work just fine with 33s as well.

You've got two options:

1) Keep the 27 spline shafts your Dana 35 has and replace them with stronger alloy shafts.
2) Turn your Dana 35 into a Super 35 by purchasing 30 spline alloy axles which you can find here:
https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/super-35-rear-axle-kit-dana-35-30-spline/

The second option requires a 30 spline differential, so that's when you'd want to put in a locker at the same time that has 30 spline.

The second option is no doubt the better option, hands down. Of course it will cost more initially, but it's the way to go no doubt.

The first option will work just fine with 33s as well.
Got it. Thank you sir. I think the 27 spline would do just fine for what I’m gonna use it for.