New Guy in town From Mass

Gfortier

Happy July everyone. New member from Mass here. Been around 4x4 most of my life, always had full size chevy stuff. Been into building hot rods and restoring Antique Semi trucks for a while now but new to Jeeps. I have a 2 year old and another child due in 2 months so we decided it was time to get a family wheeling rig. Something mom could take to the store but could hold both kids and do a few trail rides a month so naturally a Tj was our choice. We picked up a 01 Tj with the 4.0 and 5 speed. its a pretty clean little jeep but being from new England it has had the frame repaired with a kit. Now im not new to fabrication by any means and I knew what I was looking at. The repairs were done at a qualified shop and everything looks good. The jeep has had all the major common components changed, End links, Tie rods, Trac bar bushings etc etc. We have put about 1000 miles on it and been out on a few trail rides with a friend and I have zero complaints. It is however stock on 31 all terrains and that is the next order of business. Looking for a lift kit, I know I want to stay with a 33" tire due to the dana 30's. I know I want to stay with a short arm kit because I know how my brain works and if I start cutting and welding it will turn into an exocaged buggy that will never get driven. I want it to be reliable as far as parts quality ( I know I can break anything if I put my mind to it) but I also want it to be fairly tame on the street. Like I said before I always had full size chevy's with big Dana's and minimum of 35's but I must admit Im really loving this thing in the woods. Its nice to be so small and nimble and be able to actually pick a line rather then being so big and having to just go where you could fit. Anyways enough rambling, Would love to hear your imput.

Thanks
Garett
Central Mass

Reactions: Chris
c959e511ee68824abcdc3e40a9688f75.jpg
5781f1b7c28ac4b86aeae66464e501a8.jpg
d98f1b4dad76e516f192656e35020958.jpg

And what good is a thread without pictures. Mines the black tj and we just went and got my buddy the green rubicon. He also has a growing family and we decided to get back into the sport together. After a few beers and our better half's permission of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpperMI
Awesome looking TJ man! Looks like the weather there in Massachusetts is pretty nice as well (the Summer at least!).

Welcome to the forum too!

Yes nice TJ and welcome to the forum.
Like you I've always had big modded Chevy's, built 350's and 327's.
Been 4wheeling my entire life but own my first TJ and no doubt enjoy how nimble it is.
The wife and i are on a trail almost once a week :).

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I just picked he doors and bumper up from a
A fellow tj jeeper in the area. Gave me a great price I also picked up a safari top. That's about all I have done to it besides a valve cover gasket and plugs. It also came with a hard top and this best top that is like new. I look forward to searching the forums for ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. I've owned 3 old full sized Chevy's as well (1966, 1967, and 1972). The last two had 33's. For off roading and hunting my little jeep on 31s is vastly superior. It can get me into places that my full sized chevys never could. Don't get me wrong I loved my Chevys and regretted selling my 1967. But you won't be disappointed in your little jeep. The only down side to owning a jeep is all the avaible aftermarket modifications you can do to it. It Can be overwhelming (and financially Draining) sometimes. I would recommend that you drive it for the summer and get some time with it and then do your mods.