New guy with a TJ6

Rec_Rider

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello everyone, new member here but not quite new to the world of 4X4s. Way back in the day I've owned a couple of Toyota trucks but sold them due to needing family space. This was nearly 30 years ago. I did buy a Chevy 4X4 to haul dirt bikes and a travel trailer for many years as we were really into that scene. I also had an XJ at one point. That car was pretty awesome.

We still have the dirt bikes but my wife was pretty much left out of the fun when we went out which is why I bought our next Jeep, a WK. The idea was something she could enjoy while the rest of us were out riding. Lifted it and made a few mods but then she decides it's too nice and doesn't want to damage it in any way. Enter the TJ.

The TJ is a 2003 Rubicon that had a trashed rear diff and a front bent housing, so bent the axles were pulled. I rebuilt the rear with an ARB and replaced the front with another Rubicon Dana 44 then put 35s on it. Drove that for a while then went to Johnson Valley and while on Resolution I broke an axle (yes playing with the big boys). That was it, I decided to go all in. Made plans to convert to a TJ6 researched the heck out of everything I could find (including this forum) and went to work. 8 months later I was able to get back on the trails.

My profile has most of the mods I've done to it. All of it was done in my garage which is why it took so long. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Anyway, glad to be here and to add my experience to the wealth of knowledge everyone has on this forum.

JJ

What is a TJ6? I can't say I've ever heard of that before.

Definitely post some photos, but from your avatar it looks like a pretty badass rig. Welcome to the forum!

What is a TJ6? I can't say I've ever heard of that before.

Definitely post some photos, but from your avatar it looks like a pretty badass rig. Welcome to the forum!

A TJ6 is what some people who stretch their TJ's to a LJ WB call them like the old CJ6. With out knowing all the spec's on his TJ I don't want to ASSUME anything. But there are a few people over on JF who have done this and was one of the things I was thinking about doing to mine to be able to stretch my WB.

A TJ6 is what some people who stretch their TJ's to a LJ WB call them like the old CJ6. With out knowing all the spec's on his TJ I don't want to ASSUME anything. But there are a few people over on JF who have done this and was one of the things I was thinking about doing to mine to be able to stretch my WB.

Gotcha! I didn't know where was an actual term for it.

yep, still running the 4.0L. In CA to swap for something else you have to jump through hoops and fire and still may not be able to drive it on the street. I wanted to keep it street legal so I didn't touch the powerplant.

TJ6 is a TJ that has been cut in both the tub and frame to add 15" to equal the length of a LJ. Most people think it's an LJ however the 15" stretch extends the wheelbase by 5" over the LJ. I have an LJ top with the tub it the same length.

Starting point followed by the cut. Once you do it there's no going back.

20160823_184157.jpg

23794.jpeg

23796.jpeg

20180415_125321.jpg

TJ6 is a TJ that has been cut in both the tub and frame to add 15" to equal the length of a LJ. Most people think it's an LJ however the 15" stretch extends the wheelbase by 5" over the LJ. I have an LJ top with the tub it the same length.
Great idea to make the tub LJ size so you can use LJ tops.

The TJ mounts the gas tank to the rear frame crossmember. LJ has that same crossmember, but mounts the gas tank to an extra crossmember 5" forward. A popular stretch for LJ's is to rip out the extra crossmember, and mount the gas tank to the rear just like the TJ. Gets you extra 5".

Sounds like the TJ6 is basically exact a LJ that has done the LJ 5" stretch. I didn't realize that.

Reactions: Ephry73
The reason for the TJ6 build was to put 40s on it and 40s on a TJ isn't the right wheelbase. I didn't want a stretched TJ since I would need to get a fuel cell and I wanted to keep the back seat and still have room to carrying my gear. I went with a shaved 14 bolt in the rear and a Dana 60 king pin in the front. I left them full width so now I have a very solid platform.

I can share a lot of details on what I did (am still doing). My solutions are probably quite different from someone else who would do this kind of build.

The reason for the TJ6 build was to put 40s on it and 40s on a TJ isn't the right wheelbase. I didn't want a stretched TJ since I would need to get a fuel cell and I wanted to keep the back seat and still have room to carrying my gear. I went with a shaved 14 bolt in the rear and a Dana 60 king pin in the front. I left them full width so now I have a very solid platform.

I can share a lot of details on what I did (am still doing). My solutions are probably quite different from someone else who would do this kind of build.

Please do share as new ideas and other ways to look at a problem are always welcome. Love seeing builds like yours as thinking outside the box is what get new ideas flowing.

Here's a better pic of where I started

8219.jpeg

After making the "cut".
23798.jpeg

The the 14 bolt had already been worked on before this stage. You can see the difference between a Dana 44 and the 14 bolt ring gear.

20171113_210541_resized.jpg

The shave kit was put in, gears set up, and discs brakes were added. There's an advantage having the tub out of the way to work on rear end including building arms, outboarding shock, and other various pieces.
20180604_181831_resized.jpg

20180604_181850_resized.jpg

20180604_181842_resized.jpg

Once that's done you have a frankenstein. The 8 lug hubs requires a different wheel. You can see the difference between 35 in the front compared to the 40 in the rear.

20180606_193510.jpg

Here's a pic from the rear showing the shave kit installed. You can see the difference from the early 14 bolt pic.

20180606_193553.jpg

I was able to test drive it around the block to make sure everything went well. Next was putting the tub back on.

23800.jpeg

Right at 15" which will allow the LJ top to fit.

20180609_190150.jpg

20180609_190210_resized.jpg

Had to cut the tub to fit the new 40s.

20180609_190200_resized.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have pics of the body work that had to be done. Making the tub strong enough for sliders to attach to and support the weight was needed. Butt welds on sheet metal had to be done everywhere and it took me a little while to get it right. I also got sections of top rails cut from donor tubs so the LJ top would fit correctly. I also had to do a lot of spot welding. Automotive joint sealer did a great job as well. I'll get some pics of the finished product so you can see how the 15" gap was filled. I have a feeling no two TJ6's are the same when it comes to this area.