New Guy With An Old Jeep

Potomus Pete

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I got a 99 TJ a few months ago that was very neglected. Good condition with little rust. It spent it's life here in Florida, but I was still surprised at the surface rust under it. No frame rust just around the brakes, and shocks. I wish I had pictures because I stripped it down, and painted it with my daughter in the garage. Luckily for me I found this forum at the same time I got it so I didn't make some beginner mistakes like putting real wide fender flares. All the fluids have been changed, and the interior has been cleaned and painted with SEM. Looks like new now. I have new seats on the way from Bestop, and thats all I need before this TJ gets on the road. I'm getting me e mail fixed soon so I will be able to post pictures. I have some fixes coming in the near future, and with them some questions

Welcome to the forum! Post some photos of your TJ when you get around to it (y)

Reactions: Zorba
Welcome !
200.gif

Reactions: Blondie70
After lots of reading on this forum, and about six grand invested overall what is the chances of the piston skirt breaking. I was really happy with my Jeep then I stumbled on a couple blown motor threads, and didn't sleep that night. I have the in line four cylinder.

After lots of reading on this forum, and about six grand invested overall what is the chances of the piston skirt breaking. I was really happy with my Jeep then I stumbled on a couple blown motor threads, and didn't sleep that night. I have the in line four cylinder.
Welcome!

I don't have an answer to your question but suggest you post it in General Discussion. You will get a lot more views there.

Welcome to the forum. Don’t stress about the piston skirt. Far more don’t crack than do.

Welcome from another new guy with an old jeep with the 4 banger. Mine has 219k on it and as far as I know none of the piston skirts have cracked.

Reactions: Blondie70
Old guy here with an old jeep and it's a 4 banger. Goes fast enuf for me and ain't no skirts broke on it that I know of. But i'm working on it....ha ha ha Welcome from South MS.

Many things I already learned..Somebody unplugged fuse 4. Fixed my non working heater flushed/checked blend door/cleaned IAC/replaced all fluids with your chart/made a light switch on my rear door/getting ready for new tires with 31/10.5/15. Can't wait to figure out pictures because I painted it a green that is modern, and very cool. One of a kind color for the beach at Sarasota Florida.

Reactions: Matt888 and Wheeler
Welcome to the forum!

And don’t worry, no matter what’s been done to it, or what you wanna do to it, somebody around here’s done it and can help you with it!

So, happy trails! 😸

Just put on some new tires. After reading on here that big tires won't work with a 2.5. Next is the dash LED's. I really haven't put any miles on it because it had a very bald tire, and I've been spending on other stuff. I'm about to really start driving now. The seats are those Nomads from Northridge . Feels good on the road, and I'm about to start going places

KIMG1097[1294].JPG

KIMG1098[1296].JPG

KIMG1100[1298].JPG

KIMG1103[1300].JPG

KIMG1102[1299].JPG