New guy with another (possibly dumb) gearing / axle question

TheRock

Supporting Member
Up front, please forgive me if this has been specifically addressed... I have read what feels like endless threads on gearing and axle options, but none seem to answer the specific questions I have. What axles, front and rear, and what gearing ratios would be the most ideal for a TJ, 4.0 automatic I6 on 35s for the best balance between highway driving and adventuring? (favoring adventuring... highway driving really more just as a means of getting to the playground!)

Reactions: RINC
Personally I do not run 35s but the general consensus from the TJ gurus of the forum would be to hear to 5.13 gears if you have the 42RLE auto transmission.

Having said that the stock axles (Dana 30 front and Dana 35 or Dana 44 rear, please specify) would need other upgrades too to withstand the wheeling of 35” tires.

For more info I’ll let other chime in.

Welcome to the forum! Please fill in your profile details for everyone to be able to guide you better based on your Jeep.

Reactions: kameronkales
Reactions: kameronkales
Typically going to get a 5.13 recommendation for an automatic.

Axles won’t matter a TON. A 30/44 in the front is fine. If you’re going to regear you should add lockers at the same time (same cost of labor either way).

Depending on intentions of your build you probably want upgraded axle shafts.

A 35 in the rear is bad news without the super 35 kit. So you’ll need that

A 44 in the rear should be fine. Again, depending on intentions of your build you could want upgraded axle shafts.

^ if you plan on driving on fields you could probably skip lockers and upgrading axle shafts.

Welcome to the forum, can we get some pictures of your axles, that will help us determine what you have under there, most common is dana 30 front dana 35 rear.

As for Regearing read through this https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...angler-tj-lj-and-other-re-gearing-faqs.17063/.

and while your at it, you might also want to check out this thread on running 35's. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/so-you-want-to-run-35-tires-on-your-tj.2428/

Thank you, I am getting excited about building this thing, I can already see its gonna break the bank! LOL I have read that thread through to the last page. I can happily take pictures, but my question is not what gears should I throw in the axles I have, it is what are the most ideal axles to have.

Reactions: Blake Stamper
Welcome !
200.gif

A Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear with 5.38 R&P. :p

Thank you, I am getting excited about building this thing, I can already see its gonna break the bank! LOL I have read that thread through to the last page. I can happily take pictures, but my question is not what gears should I throw in the axles I have, it is what are the most ideal axles to have.
Well in that case your axles might be fine depending on what you have!!

That's why I was asking what the ideal setup would be. So would swapping Dana 44s in with 5.38 be ideal?
It's all relative. Do you mean ideal or sufficient? What sort of adventuring do you plan on doing?

ideal could be currie rockjock 44 front and 60 rear.
sufficient could be super dana 35 in the rear and chromoly axle shafts in the front in the dana 30. This is normally recommended as sufficient on this forum for 35" tires. Do you want lockers? automatic/selectable?