New here

ejay

TJ Addict
Hello all!

Been a Jeep owner for a while now. Started with a 92 Laredo. Had a 99 Classic that I put a new engine in. Did a 'how-to' on that on another, now defunct, forum. I've had my 04 Rubicon for many years now. Taken it throughout California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Oregon.

I don't do forums as much as I used to. The older (and crankier) I get, the more I tend to distance myself from the internets. But, I need a new, better resource to diagnose problems that are getting more and more difficult to track down. (The last was a parasitic draw that didn't pass through any aftermarket equipment or any fuse/relay)

Anywho, I don't wheel as often as I used to but I still do get out. Mostly to get to a trailhead or to take my kids somewhere neat. Hope to have a great time trading resources.

-Erik

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you.

I get what you mean about getting older and crankier, seems to happen to me as well. Fortunately this place is drama free, and nothing like Facebook or social media in terms of the idiots, assholes, and nonstop drama and bickering. I think you’ll like it if you stick around!

I don't do forums as much as I used to. The older (and crankier) I get, the more I tend to distance myself from the internets.

yup, that's me on the left

muppets.jpg

did you find the parasitic draw? I think I might have one as well

• Haha
Reactions: jazngab
yup, that's me on the left

View attachment 131424

did you find the parasitic draw? I think I might have one as well

As for the parasitic draw....here's the story.

I pulled every relay in the bay and in the cab. Pulled every fuse in the bay and in the cab. Disconnected every after market part I had on the Jeep. Tested the starter, tested the alternator. Replaced the ground strap to the engine. Replaced the battery cables all the way back. Removed nearly every sensor in the bay and tested again. Tested the PCU. Let the Jeep sit for hours and tested again without touching the hood or the doors. Still had a 1.6A draw. I don't drive it as much anymore so I just disconnected the battery everytime I parked and it was going to sit for more than a day or two. No mechanics wanted to bother with it. (I don't mind paying for a skillset that I don't have as far as vehicle electrical gremlins go) What I know is that the draw was coming through the fusebox in the engine bay but wasn't going through any of the fuses or relays in that box. Ended up getting a clamp meter to try to isolate it that way (which I've heard is still difficult) but didn't use it.

Well, one day (8 months of this practice later) I I accidentally left the battery connected and didn't return to drive it for a week. Started right up. Next round was two weeks. No issues. Just up and disappeared on its own.

In my research, I tried every tip and trick to track it down. Unfortunately, most tutorials end when you pull the right stuck relay or dome light fuse and don't go any further to help track it down if those methods don't work.

So, I empathize with your situation. It's a real nightmare.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris