New here

gpcarlton1389

So I’m new here on the forums, and I was looking for some help, my father passed away a few months ago and I inherited his jeep, he want to turn it into a overlanding rig with a trailer. I would like to continue that dream of his. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me a hand with what I should be looking at doing, how big of a life and tires. Gearing and axle upgrades, any input would be helpful. I’m looking at both highway and trails, we’re from Florida, but I have family in Tenn, Miss, and I would love to drive out there to visit and hunt.

Thank you,
Greg

Reactions: Zorba and RINC
Welcome !
200.gif

Welocome!
Personally I would just do a 1 inch body lift and run some 31's. A stock TJ is already very capable and looks great with 31's. For your intended purposes I don't think you need to fall in the rabbit hole of lifts and suspension work. I had a 98 on 31's that I wheeled all over Colorado. It went down every trail I pointed it at. Axles and gears will be dependent on what you have. Take a look and see if you have a rear dana 44 or dana 35 and what gear ratio is installed.

Welcome to the forum, and sorry for your loss. Cudos to you for keeping your father's dream alive. Like mentioned above, keep it simple, read up on the resources threads. A small body lift and 31's will take you 90% of the places you want to go. I wheeled the crap out of my TJ the first 5 years of ownership on a 2" lift and 31's. Focus on getting the TJ mechanically sound. Did your father do a good job of maintaining it? How many miles are on it? Pics?

Reactions: 06lj
Welcome! Nice that you're continuing what your Dad started. I'll echo what others have said, you don't need to do much to improve your Jeep's capabilities.

Take your time, research a bunch, then spend your money once! Then.......enjoy!

And, as always.....

This thread is worthless without pics

Thank you, down here where I’m at in Fl there’s not much you can do with 31s but I do t want to not be able to run on the highway up to Tenn, so I’m a little torn. I am planning on continuing to read and research, I want to do it right. I’m also not sure if I’m going to build a teardrop trailer or a utility trailer with a RTT on it. Thing to think about, thank you everyone for the warm greetings and I’ll post pics as I go.