New inner shifter boot issue

06TJowner

Hey guys, I am new to the forum as I just purchased my first Jeep. It’s an 06 Jeep Wrangler X. When I got it, all the carpet had been removed and they had herculined the pan. I thought it was great. Then I began to notice a ton of heat coming from all around the shifter and the shifter column (it’s a 6 speed manual). I popped the bezel off, looked underneath, and noticed the inner boot was essentially gone allowing all of that heat into the cab. I ordered the new OEM part, installed it, but now it is really stiff and tough to get into 6th. Sometimes it will even pop out of gear because of the stiffness of the rubber. Is this normal? Is there a break in period or something I should consider modifying? Thanks for any info you can provide.

D07F7B3A-6F7D-4EA5-8F28-808209B39205.png

06 tj owner I’m having similar issues myself. I just bought an 05 6-spd manual, replaced old inner boot with same part you did. Now I can’t get 2nd fourth or reverse without really holding down on the shifter.

The problem I found is that where the shifter connects to the “nub” that comes out of the tranny(idk what it’s called) there is a big knob that connects the two together. When i shift into those down gears(for me it’s 2nd 4th & reverse, it goes into 6th fine) That knob is pressing against the rubber at the edge of the trans tunnel. Yesterday I took the shifter off and just shifter holding that knob coming out of the transmission and it shifted fine. I’ve looked and B&M makes 2 products in this area for our transmissions. A sport short shifter which shortens the throw by 35%, all good reviews on that but it’s $500+/- (note: it says the shifter is for 2007 and up models BUT it DOES FIT 05-06) or you can buy a direct bolt on shifter and shifter knob/handle for $180 that replaces the knob handle and that knob at the bottom of the shifter I was talking about with possibly a smaller one, hard to tell from pics only. So my short term fix is cutting/grinding down the area of the trans tunnel ,underneath the inner boot, in hopes that the rubber won’t get bound up between the metal beneath it and the shifter, or, grind/cut down the knob on the bottom of the shifter.
WHEW!! Sorry for the long reply!😅

image.jpg

image.jpg

Try listening the two bolts that hold the console in place. That should allow a bit of movement while the new boot breaks in. I believe that is what the PO did with my 06 Rubi.

Try listening the two bolts that hold the console in place. That should allow a bit of movement while the new boot breaks in. I believe that is what the PO did with my 06 Rubi.
Thanks for the quick reply! But the console isn’t the problem in this case, as you can see in pic above, the adapter at the bottom of the shifter stick is contacting the rubber and pressing against the metal of the trans tunnel.

Hey guys, I am new to the forum as I just purchased my first Jeep. It’s an 06 Jeep Wrangler X. When I got it, all the carpet had been removed and they had herculined the pan. I thought it was great. Then I began to notice a ton of heat coming from all around the shifter and the shifter column (it’s a 6 speed manual). I popped the bezel off, looked underneath, and noticed the inner boot was essentially gone allowing all of that heat into the cab. I ordered the new OEM part, installed it, but now it is really stiff and tough to get into 6th. Sometimes it will even pop out of gear because of the stiffness of the rubber. Is this normal? Is there a break in period or something I should consider modifying? Thanks for any info you can provide.

View attachment 97690
Alright so I just went to the shop and took a grinder to the shifter. It helped dramatically! I also want to note that there are two small rubber covers that go over the knob at the bottom side of the shifter. I removed those as well. Pictures should help clear up my description

AA140D07-B90A-4F34-B1E7-C7939CEE77FD.jpeg

4AFE03D2-B849-4344-8826-EF9F7EDFE840.jpeg

DFE772F0-E5CE-43ED-BF93-C07E45249E1A.jpeg

Reactions: K0LCB
Did that solve your issues?
Yes. I now get 2nd and fourth, and reverse is pretty much just like it was, have to hold the shifter down to get it to take. The more I read about these 6-speeds the more I see problems like, popping out of first gear, not going into reverse the first time, and so on. Mine sometimes takes two times to go into reverse, but reverse has always been a little finicky for me. I’m thinking maybe with more grinding it could be as good as it’s gonna get but for now, I’m happy. 👍🏻

Thanks for the quick reply! But the console isn’t the problem in this case, as you can see in pic above, the adapter at the bottom of the shifter stick is contacting the rubber and pressing against the metal of the trans tunnel.
Sorry about that. Gotta quit reading the forum before the coffee kicks in.☕

Reactions: 4lowcreep
Did that solve your issues?
Just giving an update after about a week, reverse is now not giving any problems. I can shift into reverse, take my hand off the shifter and release the clutch and it stays in every time. I actually had plans to take a dremmel to the upper boot bezel, or do like others and slide the whole console back, but luckily it’s now working fine. I think since it’s been so hot here in Alabama that the rubber has softened up and allowed for better movement.
One thing I will say is that when I pull back into reverse it’s very close to the bezel, like pretty much touching, although it’s not an issue now, I may still take a dremmel to the plastic piece attached to the upper boot. I’ll attach pics soon

Just slide the whole console back a smidge. Or you'll have to look at that dremel hack every day.