New Jeep LJ and new to the forum

Barnacles

Hey guys,

Just bought my first Jeep. I have been wanting one for years and after much research and looking for this one I got an 05 LJ with 38,000 miles. Since it is completely stock I get to make it my own so before I go crazy I wanted some feedback from some folks with experience with these. What are some upgrades I need on my LJ to just make it super reliable? My long term goal with this jeep is to play on the weekend on some service roads and even take some road trips in it so I definitely am looking for a good ride but also some capabilities on the dirt. Please let me know what you think.

• Wow
Reactions: Irun and skrelnik
Welcome! An LJ with only 38K is an awesome find! With low miles like you have, it would be a good idea, if it hasn't been done, to do a complete fluid swap. That will also give you a chance to visually inspect everything, for peace of mind. With any maintenance related items out of the way, you can start to think about your goals for modifications. If you're looking to go up in tire size, a re-gear will be needed, especially if you have an automatic. Everyone will have an opinion on what to install, so I'll stay away from that. The best advice there is:

- take care of maintenance 1st
- have an idea what you want to achieve (i.e. have an end goal)
- buy quality parts that work together towards that goal and
- be weight conscious about all the parts you install

Reactions: skrelnik
Welcome to the forum, any pics of this low mileage LJ, which sounds like a great find?

Fluid changes is really all this LJ needs. Maybe brakes, and the best pads out there are Black Magic Brake Pads, rotors could be centric which pair well with those BMB pads.

No real upgrades to make it more reliable, just typical fluids and brakes.

Do you plan to do anything, lift, audio, cosmetic updates? Lots of info on this forum, so have fun and post some pics.

Thanks for the welcome, I have already done a fluid swap just to put eyes on everything. Yes, it is as clean as you can imagine a 38K LJ to be. I do have some Ideas but wanted to start with the important stuff that will create the longevity with my baby. I have heard about a lot of people having problems with the transmission fluid overheating and will probably start with a transmission fluid cooler and some new headlights and tail lights just to be safe. The long term plan is a short arm lift probably around 2.5" and some 33,s with black steel wheels. Then some high line fenders and of course bumpers. And of course lots of accessories to make it more fun. Here is the only pic I have so far. I'll definitely send more as the work begins.
59726890372--6C9D1B6E-C62B-4627-BB39-23268A1A9320.JPG

Complete fluid change. This includes P/S and brakes. Then drive it. Just get to know the Jeep for a few months. Fix things as they are required. Upgrade as you see fit. Your Jeep is pretty amazing as it is and if that's all you need then the world will have one more un-molested LJ . They are getting harder to find every day. If you do upgrade keep the old parts so it can be put back to stock if that is possible. Don't need to save brake pads, but keep the original calipers and such.

Thanks for the welcome, I have already done a fluid swap just to put eyes on everything. Yes, it is as clean as you can imagine a 38K LJ to be. I do have some Ideas but wanted to start with the important stuff that will create the longevity with my baby. I have heard about a lot of people having problems with the transmission fluid overheating and will probably start with a transmission fluid cooler and some new headlights and tail lights just to be safe. The long term plan is a short arm lift probably around 2.5" and some 33,s with black steel wheels. Then some high line fenders and of course bumpers. And of course lots of accessories to make it more fun. Here is the only pic I have so far. I'll definitely send more as the work begins.View attachment 128339

I'd definitely recommend a transmission cooler for the 42RLE. I put a stacked plate cooler in my LJ, along with a trans temp gauge. If you get a cooler, there are many options to pick from. Spend the money and get a good one like the B&M or Derale stacked plate versions. I put a link below to my temp gauge install.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/installing-a-transmission-temperature-guage-in-a-42rle.28410/
Also, in terms of wheels, unless you're firm on the steel wheels, go aluminum. The steel wheels are heavier and more susceptible to denting. On more than one occasion I've had to take a hammer to other peoples steel wheels on the trail when they dented them, resulting in leaking air around the beads.

Last edited:
Welcome, and fantastic looking LJ. My first mod suggestion would be to remove the pinstripe...then the trans cooler, etc. 😁 Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

As the rest said, welcome to the forum, I also started with an unmolested LJ as seen in my avatar pic. Its a long ways from that now but you are on the right track with getting it in a reliable position with fluid changes and maintenance program. Wheel it, get to know what it will do, then what you want to do, go from there. Think it through, the cost adds up fast if you are on a budget.

Just bought my first Jeep. I have been wanting one for years and after much research and looking for this one I got an 05 LJ with 38,000 miles.

Welcome and congrats. 🍻 You've made a great choice in Jeep.

What are some upgrades I need on my LJ to just make it super reliable?

I'd look into the age and/or condition of the battery and consider buying a high quality AGM battery.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I would do the battery but it is less than a year old right now so I will do that some time next year. As for the pinstripe I kind of like it, at least right now. @Irun, Thanks for the advice and the link I have already been looking at the derale trans cooler will be pulling the trigger soon. I still have time to think about wheels and tires the ones on it are like brand new. I'd love to see some LJ pics to sway me one way or the other.

I do have a question for the LJ owners out there. I am going to put a frameless top on mine and also a roof rack. The problem is all the racks I have seen follow the contour of hardtop and that would look a little silly at least in my head. Does anyone have this setup so I can see what it actually looks like?

I always suggest wheeling it as is first. Where you go, and how often, will determine what upgrades are most important. You might be surprised at how well it does. Plus, learning to wheel it stock will make you a better driver.

I always suggest wheeling it as is first. Where you go, and how often, will determine what upgrades are most important. You might be surprised at how well it does. Plus, learning to wheel it stock will make you a better driver.
^^^ This ^^^

Welcome!

Keep an eye / ear out for the OPDA that starts to sound like a barrel of monkeys. You will need to change it out ASAP for a Crown/Dorman unit BUT keep your OEM Cam sensor

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase.

I highly, highly suggest you check out the TJ How-to Guides sub-forum and the TJ Resources sub-forum. There are treasure troves of information in both of those sub-forums.

These things are like Legos. You can build them any way you want, and there's endless possibilities depending on how deep your pockets are and how crazy you want to get!

Put the biggest tires you can stuff in there on it. Tip: if they are not rubbing, you could’ve gotten bigger tires.
Don’t listen to the tire guys “Thirty one inch is the max tire for your vehicle! It says so right here in my book!”

They’re worried that you’ll be back saying “these are rubbing”....

Then, little by little, as you tear parts off (fender flares, fenders, etc...) you will know what to buy next to replace the weak links.

Welcome.

1st upgrade for me was JW speaker headlights. The factory lights suck.

From there, I’d get an air source be it onboard or a bag system like Viair.

Then I’d get a front bumper, winch and recovery gear.

With all that you can get in and out of most places and that will tell you a lot about what you need next.