New Jeep owner... hello!

dschwes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking forward to reading through so many great topics and discussions and learning whatever I can from you all. It’s great to have a place to come to and learn from people that were once walking in our shoes.
My Jeep is basically bone stock for now but I’ll be doing a 2” suspension lift within the next couple of weeks...just need to carve out some time to get it done.

Any pointers on what size wheels and tires to go with would be great. Trying to decide on slight offsets or not.

Thanks again for being here for the “community”, can’t wait to read through these posts!!

3834FF54-CD53-4249-BF28-95D09B52A132.jpeg

0FD202FC-BC6A-4A4D-84A4-87104E533ED7.png

Reactions: Gregg1LE and Chris
Welcome to the forum...wow that looks clean and fresh.
The often wheel and tyre debate dates back to when Adam was a boy.... and there are many threads on here on what's 'best'
Think about what your going to do with your Jeep and how much time (if any) you going to spend off road.... that will help with your choice.

Welcome to the forum...wow that looks clean and fresh.
The often wheel and tyre debate dates back to when Adam was a boy.... and there are many threads on here on what's 'best'
Think about what your going to do with your Jeep and how much time (if any) you going to spend off road.... that will help with your choice.

Thanks, got a good deal and when t has less than 80k miles!

Thanks for the tip, I’ll definitely consider how it will be used and research the forum. I do know that 95% of the time it will be driven on the road and when I do go off road, it will be light trails at the most I’m sure. I know I want something a little on the aggressive side but not wildly crazy. Just looking to compliment the 2” lift to give it a little additional bump.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum!

Great looking TJ, same color as mine too!

Anyways, as far as tire size go, the most common sizes you'll find on TJs are 31", 32", 33", and 35".

Anything over 35" requires full width axles in most cases, and boat loads of money if you want to do it right. For that reason, most of us will never go over 35".

I suggest looking at as many TJs as you can find and considering what size tire YOU want. I will tell you however the for most of us, we say we're going to stay small, but we always end up going big (myself included). That being said, it's cheaper to buy once and cry once.

Also consider that the bigger tire size you go (which also requires more lift), the more expensive it gets. It's very, very easy to drop 20k into a TJ just to set it up for 35s using top-shelf parts!

It's probably a good idea if you have the time to check out some of the threads in the TJ Frequently Asked Questions section of the site. You'll find a lot of good info in there.

Reactions: dschwes and Kiwi TJ
Welcome to the forum!

Great looking TJ, same color as mine too!

Anyways, as far as tire size go, the most common sizes you'll find on TJs are 31", 32", 33", and 35".

Anything over 35" requires full width axles in most cases, and boat loads of money if you want to do it right. For that reason, most of us will never go over 35".

I suggest looking at as many TJs as you can find and considering what size tire YOU want. I will tell you however the for most of us, we say we're going to stay small, but we always end up going big (myself included). That being said, it's cheaper to buy once and cry once.

Also consider that the bigger tire size you go (which also requires more lift), the more expensive it gets. It's very, very easy to drop 20k into a TJ just to set it up for 35s using top-shelf parts!

It's probably a good idea if you have the time to check out some of the threads in the TJ Frequently Asked Questions section of the site. You'll find a lot of good info in there.

Thanks for the detailed response! Definitely not looking to drop that kind of coin, but you’re right, do it once! I still have 2 kids to put through college so my wife will certainly keep me on a budget LOL! That’s why I’ve settled with the 2” lift to keep the cost down.
Appreciate you guys all being here and so quick to respond. It’s great to know that in a pinch, answers to questions are just minutes away from multiple people.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the detailed response! Definitely not looking to drop that kind of coin, but you’re right, do it once! I still have 2 kids to put through college so my wife will certainly keep me on a budget LOL! That’s why I’ve settled with the 2” lift to keep the cost down.
Appreciate you guys all being here and so quick to respond. It’s great to know that in a pinch, answers to questions are just minutes away from multiple people.

No problem! Staying at 2" and 32s would be a great way to keep costs down and not break the bank. It also looks really good as well with that setup!

No problem! Staying at 2" and 32s would be a great way to keep costs down and not break the bank. It also looks really good as well with that setup!

I was actually thinking 32’s. Would I need bump stops for something that’s going to be mainly a daily driver or are bump stops more for off roading purposes?
I’ll fill you in a little more...I bought a 2” Pro Comp lift, springs and shocks, Rough Country Adj. track bar, rear track bar bracket, rough country steering stabilizer and Tera flex quick discos. Just not sure if I need bump stops or not.

You will need bumpstops for 32's. 1" to 1.5" minimum.

X2 to this. You'll need bump stops, even if it's an on-road only vehicle. Sure, you could try to get by without them if you're only doing on-road driving, and you may be fine. But all it takes is one nasty bump or pothole.

Better safe than sorry!

Reactions: dschwes and Kiwi TJ
You will need bumpstops for 32's. 1" to 1.5" minimum.

Sorry, nubbie follow up question.....as for the bumpstops, front and back? I want to do it right and not cause more problems down the road so I’m thinking I’ll do the 1.5” but just looking to see if rears are just as important as fronts. I’m sure the answer is yes but I’m not afraid to ask the stupid questions , I’ll ask anyway.

Sorry, nubbie follow up question.....as for the bumpstops, front and back? I want to do it right and not cause more problems down the road so I’m thinking I’ll do the 1.5” but just looking to see if rears are just as important as fronts. I’m sure the answer is yes but I’m not afraid to ask the stupid questions , I’ll ask anyway.

Yes, start off with 1.5" front and 1" rear. For the front, drill/tap the lower spring perch and get some hockey pucks. For the rear, you can remove the upper jounce bumper cup and add the bump stops to the upper portion. Just get a longer bolt for the jounce cup to compensate for the added bump stop extension. Cycle the suspension when you pull the springs and shocks to see what hits. chances are your tires will hit the inner fender wells and you may get some rubbing of the lower control arms at full steering lock. Wheel backspacing will play a role in that.