New Jeep Wrangler JL Frame Welds are Failing and Now FCA Is Issuing a Recall

Thats why I avoid first year production models. Well that and the final year models are always selling at such a steep discount its really hard to pass up.

Reactions: Starrs
Thats why I avoid first year production models. Well that and the final year models are always selling at such a steep discount its really hard to pass up.

Exactly. But anytime there is a 1st year production model, they always, always, always have issues. The JL has a bunch of them so far too. I've heard of issues with the infotainment system just flashing on-and-off and then not working at all, the weld issues, a cruise control issue, the white paint turning yellow on the grill of the white JLs, etc.

Bottom line, people need to be patient and wait until they work out some of the kinks. Of course some of the kinks never get worked out, such as the leaking freedom panel tops that JK owners are so used to.

There's no steep discounts on the JK Rubicon models though, that's for sure!

Reactions: Alex01
My brother just got a JLRubicon unlimited. Got to say I like it a lot better than his jk. Will have to go over and check out some welds.

Reactions: Starrs
Yeah, that's one reason I cancelled my JL order :( I know that not every single JL has issues, but better to just wait and let Jeep work out the kinks. That and I really haven't come around to push button start/stop yet *shrugs*

Yeah, that's one reason I cancelled my JL order :( I know that not every single JL has issues, but better to just wait and let Jeep work out the kinks. That and I really haven't come around to push button start/stop yet *shrugs*

Good call. I would have done the same. I hate push button start / stop.

I really hope they don't make the JT with push start/stop.... IDK, guess I'm just old school when it comes to that lol... I want to "feel" my vehicle start!

Oh I’m sure they will. Seems to be on all modern vehicles nowadays.

Reactions: Artemis
After hearing about this earlier I was curious and looked into forum posts from JL owners regarding TONS of welding issues with the JL frames. It's pretty sketchy, honestly.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
The welds and steering seem to be an issue. But it seems a lot of the steering issues were software related. But welds, you just wonder how QC missed it?

Somewhere, I remember seeing most of the weld issues were with the Rubicon. Or maybe it's because most of them started getting under their vehicles to start modifying right away :)

After hearing about this earlier I was curious and looked into forum posts from JL owners regarding TONS of welding issues with the JL frames. It's pretty sketchy, honestly.

Yeah, it’s not just the track bar bracket welds. I’ve read of a number of other welds on the frame having issues as well.

The welds and steering seem to be an issue. But it seems a lot of the steering issues were software related. But welds, you just wonder how QC missed it?

See... that’s where I pass. I don’t want software controlling my steering... not on an off-road vehicle at least.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Every first production vehicle has problems.

This is the first time i have heard of one failing structurally. I can understand gremlins that play hell with the electronics. I can understand little things like door handles not working properly. Seat belts not locking or releasing. Wipers. Yhe normal things.

There is ZERO excuse for the welds to be failing. We are no longer in the age of men welding things. These are welded by some of the most advanced computer controlled welders. They should be inspected by other computers and real people.

This is just an example of auto manufacturers going as cheap as possible. And the "well worst case we pay a small fine." Attitude. Unfortunately I don't see this as it was a new model problem. But a systemic problem in the manufacturing sector.

I can understand new models having issues, but faulty welds on the frame? Welding two pieces of metal together is not new technology and with robotic welds should be damn near perfect.

I sure hope this isn't the future of FCAs Jeep products.

Reactions: Artemis