New Jeep Wrangler JL Frame Welds are Failing and Now FCA Is Issuing a Recall

I can understand new models having issues, but faulty welds on the frame? Welding two pieces of metal together is not new technology and with robotic welds should be damn near perfect.

I sure hope this isn't the future of FCAs Jeep products.
I just wonder if the massive sales were the driving force to possibly let these go until people started screaming louder and louder? Or maybe they were just cranking them out too fast? Either way, it's no excuse.

I can understand new models having issues, but faulty welds on the frame? Welding two pieces of metal together is not new technology and with robotic welds should be damn near perfect.

I sure hope this isn't the future of FCAs Jeep products.

From what I was reading FCA was blaming the issues on the new galvanized frame they're using for the JL, and that they're robots weren't setup properly for that process. Well they probably should've checked that sooner, cause now it's gonna bite them.

From what I was reading FCA was blaming the issues on the new galvanized frame they're using for the JL, and that they're robots weren't setup properly for that process. Well they probably should've checked that sooner, cause now it's gonna bite them.

I was thinking they were Monday morning/Friday afternoon built frames.... damn slacker robots.

Well if robots get the weekend off you might be onto something there :D
BEST-BENDER-quotes-futurama.jpg

My brother just got a JLRubicon unlimited. Got to say I like it a lot better than his jk. Will have to go over and check out some welds.
My brother in law bought one too. It also has the weld issue.the robot missed one of the welds on the front track bar by 1/16th of an inch. He is watching it and waiting to see how it is going to be addressed.

Reactions: Chris
Things that historically defined a Jeep-

1. Simple , basic

2. Tough

3. Repairable

4. Affordable

5. Easy to modify

6. Versatile

7. Fun

There's more , but I hope we don't lose all that .

This is why you'd have to be an idiot to buy the first production year of any new vehicle:

https://jalopnik.com/new-jeep-wrangler-frame-welds-are-failing-and-now-fca-i-1829551649
That's true of just about any auto brand too. Historically, I might have made an exception for Toyota/ Lexus, but given all the trouble with the new Tacoma, not anymore.

The LAST model year is usually the one to buy- from a design/ build quality and price perspective. Lots of cheap JKs out there now, new or near new.

That's true of just about any auto brand too. Historically, I might have made an exception for Toyota/ Lexus, but given all the trouble with the new Tacoma, not anymore.

The LAST model year is usually the one to buy- from a design/ build quality and price perspective. Lots of cheap JKs out there now, new or near new.

Yep, no doubt. I used to have an E46 M3, and it was well known that the first 02-03 years had a lot of serious problems until they worked them out in 2004.

Ran into a guy at the mountain bike trailhead yesterday in a new JL. Absolutely beautiful, inside and out. Looks more like my wife's Lexus than an off road vehicle. WAY too pretty to take in the dirt, much less dent it up in the rocks somewhere.

Ran into a guy at the mountain bike trailhead yesterday in a new JL. Absolutely beautiful, inside and out. Looks more like my wife's Lexus than an off road vehicle. WAY too pretty to take in the dirt, much less dent it up in the rocks somewhere.

That's the problem with the JLs. They're so friggin' nice inside and out (and so expensive) that I wouldn't want to get it dirty at all. It's like a damn Mercedes inside. I don't want an off-road vehicle to be that nice!

The JLs are like the affordable version of a Mercedes G-Wagen.

This is almost certainly a process problem vs a design problem. There is a tool that engineers use, called a failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA). In that tool, you try to list all possible failures and rank them based on their severity, probability of occurrence, and ease of prevention. On the design side, it's easy to minimize the well failure, failure mode. You design in location trabs, or other feature to ensure the party is properly positioned. You does the correct materials to ensure the welds will stick. That stuff is old hat.

Process wise, you are dealing with an entirely new assembly process. New fixtures, new parts, possibly new robots, new everything. Assembly is incredibly complex in today's automobiles. Lots of error detection and prevention going on, not to mention the design continue to get more and more complex. There are entire teams dedicated to process design. On the process side they missed something that is allowing those welds to not be correct. Its probably already corrected too. Those guys are smart, and I'm sure they figured out how to fix it.

Crappy thing for FCA is that it was probably something really simple that was just overlooked.

Front track bar bracket. And starting from October 1st. You can easily visually see it or run the vin.

Found out who made the frame.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/1070742001

A quote from the article.

An official layoff notice to the State of Ohio has revealed when Fiat-Chrysler will begin to wind down production of the JK chassis Jeep Wrangler. Automotive news reports that Hyundai Mobis North America, a parts supplier for the Wrangler, has notified the state government that JK production will end April 7.

Found out who made the frame.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/1070742001

A quote from the article.

An official layoff notice to the State of Ohio has revealed when Fiat-Chrysler will begin to wind down production of the JK chassis Jeep Wrangler. Automotive news reports that Hyundai Mobis North America, a parts supplier for the Wrangler, has notified the state government that JK production will end April 7.

Yes, the frames are made by Hyundai... who coincidently has been in talks to buy the Jeep brand from FCA.