New Jeep Wrangler JL Photos Released

The other thing that is don't like is the stop / start technology they are saddling the 3.6 Penstar with. Nothing like stopping at a read light and having your engine cut off, or on an obstacle offroad. Hoping there is a way to turn that off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The other thing that is don't like is the stop / start technology they are saddling the 3.6 Penstar with. Nothing like stopping at a read light and having your engine cut off, or on an obstacle offroad. Hoping there is a way to turn that off.

I agree. Not to mention that's one more thing that's going to break at some point and leave you stranded.

Our old Toyota Highlander Hybrid did that. It would shut off at stop lights or when you came to a stop. It was really annoying because after time you really started to be able to feel it. Not to mention it's probably overworking the starter.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I agree. Not to mention that's one more thing that's going to break at some point and leave you stranded.

Our old Toyota Highlander Hybrid did that. It would shut off at stop lights or when you came to a stop. It was really annoying because after time you really started to be able to feel it. Not to mention it's probably overworking the starter.
Plus have you seen the price of batteries for cars that do that..its like 3 x the price!!!

I was always under the impression that starting your car up used up more fuel than just idling. Can anyone confirm this or debunk this?

I woudlnt understand if they didnt have a on/off switch for this feature.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I believe Johnson Controls builds the start stop technology in Toledo, Ohio.

Start stop started in what i think was the BMW world in their manual trans four cylinder cars. Maybe 1 or 2 series cars. According to JC the start/stop tech saves around 5% in gas cost.

Pretty basic explanation on youtube:

I believe Johnson Controls builds the start stop technology in Toledo, Ohio.

Start stop started in what i think was the BMW world in their manual trans four cylinder cars. Maybe 1 or 2 series cars. According to JC the start/stop tech saves around 5% in gas cost.

Pretty basic explanation on youtube:

Nowwww it makes sense. However, keep your AC on for too long and you'll kill your battery. :D

The more gas we save though, the less demand there is for gas, and the price of gas drops. Sounds good to me.

I don't know about JLs of the future, but this would be interesting to drive:

Article I read said top speed is only about 40 mph, though...

Im not a huge fan of the new Jeeps all that much.

But I do want to say this...

BLUF: The EPA has Jeep designers and Jeep consumers by the balls.

All the finger pointing at Jeep for becoming "soft" and straying further and further away from the off-road, simple, and analog style Wrangler is all wrong and it bothers me that no one else sees through it to the real culprit of all the "softness."

The EPA and their insane regulations is the real culprit who deserves the finger pointing. The EPA was given the power to put a real squeeze on automotive manufactures here in the USA. And I firmly believe it all started over in Europe. American govt seems to love to look at the Europeans and want to copy them on some things. Europeans are pretty much forced into small cars and very few trucks/SUV's much less Jeeps. Europe is talking and mandating that gasoline engines be a thing of the past over there by 2040 or something. Good for them. NOTE: I understand the importance of the EPA's regs and mandates it just sucks to accept it.

Now America is starting to be forced into the same path by our govt and the EPA. Imagine trying to build and design a REAL off-road capable vehicle that has it's history deeply rooted into the nations dirt and soil and need to reflect that when looking at it yet still meet these crazy gasoline and emissions regulations out out by the EPA...is it how the JK and JL is born.

And I guarantee the next Jeep Wrangler will have a even more aggressive rake in the windshield and body lines. And look less and less like a Wrangler.

BLUF- bottom line up front:hello:

Rant over.

When I was in college, there was a design competition called "futureTruck" They worked in the Bay next to us (I was on the FormulaSAE team). Now, understand this was YEARS ago (1999?) when the GMT800 platform was new...We got a Brand New Suburban for the competition. Those guys had something COOL back then. They built a hybrid SUV, that could actually wheel (well, as much as a Suburban can). It utilized a 3800 V6, and two electric motors driving the rear wheels. It got something like 30 MPG and had SOOOO much low end torque that one of the big tranny outfits (Dana/Spicer or NV/NP) worked with them to design a transmission to take it all. They were literally blowing up transfer cases. It was a neat ride...Took a team of engineering students to drive the damn thing, but pretty impressive, nontheless. Would go 75 down the highway, no problem too.

Anyway, those cars and design studies formed the basis of what we're seeing now. Electric isn't going away, and its not ALL bad. The real problem is energy storage. How to store and retrieve it efficiently is one problem. The other is that Lead Acid is nearly the perfect battery, aside from its weight. Lithium has a great power density, but its not sustainable, they need a crazy amount of controls on them to not explode while charging, so those two things drive price. Lithium is VERY expensive. So the actual Battery type hasn't really been worked out yet. Anything on the market is lithium but there has got to be a better way. I don't believe they can get to mass market levels with a lithium battery...at least in the states.

Reactions: StG58 and UpperMI
Among other things, I honestly think Tesla is popular bc it is not like anything else out there on the market. Same for the Jeep Wrangler, there is nothing else out there like it.

I agree. It would be cool if someone else came along (cough, cough, Toyota) and made a vehicle that was direct competiton for then Jeep Wrangler. Nothing wrong with competition, it's a good thing.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I would entertain a Ford Bronco coming back to life in modern metal and technology. It could one up the Jeep JK/JL by going light on all the electronics and creature comforts (think, "simple") possibly forcing Jeep to follow suit and do the same. Jeep then resurrects the CJ or YJ or TJ but with a few lightly modern changes. Think when the Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang when they all retooled and campaigned and advertised their cars like they were modeled after their muscle car days.

I got a bit carried away there.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpperMI
I would entertain a Ford Bronco coming back to life in modern metal and technology. It could one up the Jeep JK/JL by going light on all the electronics and creature comforts (think, "simple) possibly forcing Jeep to follow suit and do the same. Jeep then resurrects the CJ or YJ or TJ but with a few lightly modern changes. Think when the Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang when they all retooled and campaigned and advertised their cars like they were modeled after their muscle car days.

I got a bit carried away there.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a31079/new-ford-bronco-ranger-details/

Ford may be bringing back the bronco in 2020 based off of the newer rangers. Unfortunately, atleast with the concept images, it looks more modern than not.

Reactions: StG58