New Jeep!

wolfbait

Looking forward to the crazy journey! This thing rubbs like crazy at full turn!

1000022616.jpg

It doesn't surprise me those tires rub at full turns, do you know the backspacing of those wheels? Too much backspacing on the wheels will cause that. However the good news is you can install a washer or two under each of the two steering stop bolts that thread into the knuckles that will very slightly limit the steering... and not enough to notice, it will still turn on a dime. Here's how... https://4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html

It doesn't surprise me those tires rub at full turns, do you know the backspacing of those wheels? Too much backspacing on the wheels will cause that. However the good news is you can install a washer or two under each of the two steering stop bolts that thread into the knuckles that will very slightly limit the steering... and not enough to notice, it will still turn on a dime. Here's how... https://4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html

So I am thinking about getting new rims with a -12 offset. Would that be enough to stop the rub?

So I am thinking about getting new rims with a -12 offset. Would that be enough to stop the rub?

Looks clean. -12 offset doesn’t do us any good without the wheel width.

It also looks like those tires are stuffed into the wheel wells and might be too big for the lift you have (if any)

Looks clean. -12 offset doesn’t do us any good without the wheel width.

It also looks like those tires are stuffed into the wheel wells and might be too big for the lift you have (if any)

35 12.5 r 18 are on it now and I was planning on going back with 35's. I was told it was lifted when I purchased it but I don't know how to verify if that's true! Wheels I am looking at are 17x9.

Last edited:
Post up the specs on the Sahara.
Nice clean looking Jeep. My “other” Jeep is a 99 Sahara same color but just a few more mods…
How’s the relationship with the spouse?
Guarantee owning a Jeep will test the relationship.😄

Currently 35x12.5 r 18
Ok yep it makes sense they'd rub, 12.5" wide tires will rub with most wheels which typically have too much backspacing. Too much backspacing means the wheel is positioned inside the wheel well too far. For that width tire I'd go for wheels that had either 3.75" or 4" of backspacing.

The yellow tape measure is measuring the wheel's backspacing... the distance between the wheel's mounting surface and the inner-most edge of the wheel.

wheel backspacing.jpg

Reactions: trojandawg
35 12.5 r 18 are on it now and I was planning on going back with 35's. I was told it was lifted when I purchased it but I don't know how to verify if that's true! Wheels I am looking at are 17x9.

Congratulations on your new to you TJ.

You can measure the lift by measuring the front and rear springs with any added spacer. Stock front is 12” and stock rear is 8”. Anything over that is the amount of lift you have (e.g. if front is 14” then 14”-12”=2” lift). You need 5” of lift and 4” backspace to run a 35” tire on a 17x9” wheel.

-12 won't be enough...you'll be around a 4.5" backspace. That's not the end of the world if lifted properly, but its still kinda shallow. If those are 35's, I'd say you currently have about a 2" lift and it will definetly rub everywhere.

For Reference, I have a 4" lift, 1.25" body lift, 35's and a 4" backspaced wheel (effectively a -25 offset on a 9" wide wheel) and I rub when I'm at full lock.

If those are 35's, I'd say you currently have about a 2" lift and it will definetly rub everywhere.
I agree with the lift quoted above. This is mine with 2 inch suspension and 1.25 body lift, on 33x12.5x15 (15x8 / 3.5" bs):

1707230276529.png

This thing rubbs like crazy at full turn!

View attachment 497934

Nice clean Jeep. It could be worse. I bought a Jeep with 33" tires on stock wheels and NO lift. I had to drive 2 hours to get home from Washington D.C. in 5pm traffic. Making a U-turn wasn't an option. :oops:

sahara2 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
Nice Jeep, love the color. I'm partial to green Saharas, owning one myself. ;) This forum is a great place to be with many knowledgable members, welcome!

Reactions: TheBoogieman