New Jeeper - New Build - 97 TJ 5.3 Swap

JeepTed

Hello Jeep enthusiasts. I am a new Jeep owner looking to do a 5.3 conversion, and would like some input from you, the experts.

I bought a 97 TJ about a month ago. It runs, but loses oil pressure, so I don't drive it.
Last weekend, I pulled a 5.3 out of an '03 Tahoe. This will be my swap engine.

What can I expect with this swap? What kind of gotchas will I run into?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Ted

97 Jeep TJ Side.jpg

2003 Chevy 5.3 LM7.jpg

I didn't do the 5.3 out of a Tahoe, but I did a 4.3 port injection vortech/4l60-e out of a S-10 Blazer. And to be honest I did it to a 89 YJ. I drove it for years that way got a some hassles but finally passed emissions with it. The biggest problem I had was once I moved to Arizona from Seattle, I had a tough time keeping it from overheating. Once gas went up to $4.50 here, I decided to sell it, and get into motorcycles. About 5 years after that I bought a brand new JK didn't like it, sold it after a year, and now I have a 98 TJ 4.0 5sp. Probably will keep that motor at least till it dies, then reassess when/if that time comes.

I didn't do the 5.3 out of a Tahoe, but I did a 4.3 port injection vortech/4l60-e out of a S-10 Blazer. And to be honest I did it to a 89 YJ. I drove it for years that way got a some hassles but finally passed emissions with it. The biggest problem I had was once I moved to Arizona from Seattle, I had a tough time keeping it from overheating. Once gas went up to $4.50 here, I decided to sell it, and get into motorcycles. About 5 years after that I bought a brand new JK didn't like it, sold it after a year, and now I have a 98 TJ 4.0 5sp. Probably will keep that motor at least till it dies, then reassess when/if that time comes.

Thanks for the feedback. I bet you did have heat problems in AZ. I'm in FL where we have our own heat issues. That is something I will need to consider.