New Leather Steering Wheel From Poland

My original TJ wheel looks more like the WJ wheel than the TJ pic you posted above. I have an 05 so this could be early model vs late model.

Here is my original wheel.

View attachment 398084

And here is my clockspring.

View attachment 398085

And here you can see how the wheel sits on the clockspring. It fits perfectly.

View attachment 398086

the WJ airbag is a dual staged so it has two connectors but they are the same type as the TJ. I'm not too sure if it would work properly if you only connected the green connector but since the TJ airbag bolts in just fine to the WJ wheel I am just running that one.

TJ airbag

View attachment 398087

WJ airbag

View attachment 398089

Sorry second reply; Im also wondering, in your setup, what is making the steering wheel frame move along with the clock spring? If the wheel frame is sitting on top of your clock spring, then there is no fitment hugging the two items together to make them move in tandem unless its just the friction between the wires and plastic protrusion smooshing against the back of the frame. you may have just gotten lucky that your clock spring is moving in tandem with he wheel frame?

My original TJ wheel looks more like the WJ wheel than the TJ pic you posted above. I have an 05 so this could be early model vs late model.

Here is my original wheel.

View attachment 398084

And here is my clockspring.

View attachment 398085

And here you can see how the wheel sits on the clockspring. It fits perfectly.

View attachment 398086

the WJ airbag is a dual staged so it has two connectors but they are the same type as the TJ. I'm not too sure if it would work properly if you only connected the green connector but since the TJ airbag bolts in just fine to the WJ wheel I am just running that one.

TJ airbag

View attachment 398087

WJ airbag

View attachment 398089

Ok last reply. Hopefully this helps someone. The clock spring lines up with the nut post at all times, so even if you don't torque down the nut, the steering, the clock spring and the wheel all stay together. Those green protrusions just allow it to fit better. The protrusions do not keep the whole assembly moving together. It's just a coincidence that they hug the frame. However there is an extra gap when installing a WJ Steering Wheel onto a TJ clock spring because the airbag wire pushes the steering wheel frame away from the clock spring. And this is why I broke my clock spring. There is a sweet spot for torquing down that nut on top of the wires where it won't push too hard on the clock spring. In my case it did. So now I just have to decide if I want that extra gap and risk smooshing the wires over time. There is also quite a gap caused by the airbag wires pushing on the frame. So be careful if you do this. I would not advise putting a WJ Steering Wheel on an early TJ. I have a 99. But from what I can tell, the early TJ and late TJ would both have the same issue with airbag wires interfering with the clock spring. Maybe if you cut a slot in the wheel frame to make a relief for the wires that would be better but you're really crushing those wires with 40+ ftlbs and thats not good. Thanks all!

Attachments

• Steering Wheel Gap.HEIC
    988.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Airbage Wires Pinched.HEIC
    697.6 KB · Views: 58
Interesting, I’ll need to pull my wheel and double check mine. I torqued the nut to spec which was something like 40lbs and don’t remember seeing any issues.

If you only broke the plastic casing keep it as a spare. It is pretty easy to transfer the tape into another clockspring if it fails.

Dude that looks awesome! I have the exact same setup, but left drive. Same wheel, same camel dash. There's a company called Redline Products (website) and they make these leather steering wheels and shift boots etc. Do you know if your setup has extra padding behind the leather? It looks like it does. Because that steering wheel is actually quite thin feeling and it looks much thinker. Maybe thats because the original vinyl cover was much thinner than the leather? So the leather makes it look thicker? Or they added padding? Im trying to decide if I want this redline wheel cover to have padding or just use the leather. I'd do mine exactly like yours because yours looks perfect so I'm wondering if yours is leather only or also has added padding?

I requested extra padding, since I didn't like how thin the original is. You should definitely go for the padding, much better grip and feel.

Ok last reply. Hopefully this helps someone. The clock spring lines up with the nut post at all times, so even if you don't torque down the nut, the steering, the clock spring and the wheel all stay together. Those green protrusions just allow it to fit better. The protrusions do not keep the whole assembly moving together. It's just a coincidence that they hug the frame. However there is an extra gap when installing a WJ Steering Wheel onto a TJ clock spring because the airbag wire pushes the steering wheel frame away from the clock spring. And this is why I broke my clock spring. There is a sweet spot for torquing down that nut on top of the wires where it won't push too hard on the clock spring. In my case it did. So now I just have to decide if I want that extra gap and risk smooshing the wires over time. There is also quite a gap caused by the airbag wires pushing on the frame. So be careful if you do this. I would not advise putting a WJ Steering Wheel on an early TJ. I have a 99. But from what I can tell, the early TJ and late TJ would both have the same issue with airbag wires interfering with the clock spring. Maybe if you cut a slot in the wheel frame to make a relief for the wires that would be better but you're really crushing those wires with 40+ ftlbs and thats not good. Thanks all!

Hi, I confirm your comments. The steering wheel from the Jeep WJ does not fit the Wrangler TJ (2003-2006), I found out. After replacement, I damaged the airbag tape. I advise against such a solution

Attachments

• IMG_4537.HEIC
    1.8 MB · Views: 73