New Leather Steering Wheel From Poland

LJGreg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
After watching @Daz7 YouTube video I went ahead and purchased a new leather wrapped steering wheel from ebay seller aacars14. He takes WJ wheels and refinished them in leather based on your selection. I choose silver stitching, perforated leather on the grips and plain leather on the top and bottom. This thing feels awesome.

Bonus - they came with cruise buttons & audio control buttons which i am hoping to find a way to multiplex the signal through the clockspring. It even came with the front airbag!

IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_2071.jpeg

IMG_2072.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks awesome! I've done this to previous vehicles and it always turns out nicely.

I think you might need a WJ clockspring to use the back functions? I’m not sure but I haven’t seen a write up on it.

The WJ clockspring doesn't fit in a TJ. The way the cruise control buttons work is a 5v signal passes through a unique resistors for each button. As each button is pressed, the 5v drops to the corresponding voltage which the PCM detects as a button push. If each audio button has a different resistance than the cruise, I should be able to hook it up in parallel to the existing wire and capture the signals on the other end using something like a Maestro SW or an Arduino.

Reactions: Fonz54
The WJ clockspring doesn't fit in a TJ. The way the cruise control buttons work is a 5v signal passes through a unique resistors for each button. As each button is pressed, the 5v drops to the corresponding voltage which the PCM detects as a button push. If each audio button has a different resistance than the cruise, I should be able to hook it up in parallel to the existing wire and capture the signals on the other end using something like a Maestro SW or an Arduino.
That’s awesome! If you end up doing it please document and post it up

Reactions: LJGreg
After watching @Daz7 YouTube video I went ahead and purchased a new leather wrapped steering wheel from ebay seller aacarsaa. He takes WJ wheels and refinished them in leather based on your selection. I choose silver stitching, perforated leather on the grips and plain leather on the top and bottom. This thing feels awesome.

Bonus - they came with cruise buttons & audio control buttons which i am hoping to find a way to multiplex the signal through the clockspring. It even came with the front airbag!

View attachment 163309
View attachment 163310

View attachment 163311
Can you post a link to the ebay page, cannot seem to find it based on the seller name you provided.

So quick update on the steering wheel audio controls...

By splicing the audio button harness into the cruise button harness, I am able to piggyback the audio control button resistor values down the single clockspring wire. The set of right audio control buttons conflicted with some of the cruise control buttons but by adding in a 5.6k resistor in series I was able to shift the signals enough to not overlap.

I now have an Arduino with a simple voltage divider circuit measuring the resistance on the wire and after smoothing the signal it is able to read each key press perfectly.

Next step is to the configure two digital potentiometers to change resistance values based on the button presses - one potentiometer for the PCM (cruise control) and the other to the stereo (audio control).

I will do a proper HOWTO when/if I get this fully working.

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.05.40 PM.png

IMG_2101.jpeg

IMG_2102.jpeg

IMG_2126.jpeg

I now have an Arduino with a simple voltage divider circuit measuring the resistance on the wire and after smoothing the signal it is able to read each key press perfectly.

Next step is to the configure two digital potentiometers to change resistance values based on the button presses - one potentiometer for the PCM (cruise control) and the other to the stereo (audio control).

I will do a proper HOWTO when/if I get this fully working.
This is some fantastic work! I wouldn't want to do it myself as I personally don't like steering wheel buttons beyond the horn - but you'll help a LOT of people who don't share my phobias! {BOW HERE}

Reactions: Flivver250
The PCM is just looking for a voltage drop based on the resistor. You can measure the signal voltage with no button pressed to find what the PCM is using as input to the circuit and then watch the voltage drop as you press each button. Then just use the PWM outputs of the Arduino to mimic this voltage drop. You probably don't need anything complicated like a digital pot. Just use a test supply that matches the PCM output until you can match the correct signal voltages for each button. Glad somebody else is playing with stuff like this and can't wait to see you write it up.

Ya good call. I wasn't too sure if the PCM would be fussy with PWM but i'll give it a try. I do know if it sees a drop other than what it is expecting then it puts the cruise control into a fault.

Reactions: basic
Just keep the voltages sane and you should be good. It's pretty easy to make a variable voltage out with PWM with just a few passives. You just need to calculate/guess the PCMs internal resistance if that makes sense, it's just half a voltage divider with the resistors in the steering wheel acting as the other half of the divider.

Reactions: basic